Cohen's Lifestyle Starting on Cohen's

Prefix for Cohen's Lifestyle

eloisem

Hi everyone,
I have been on Cohen's for just over 8 weeks and it's working - but the psychological parts of eating are still devilling me, so I am trying to talk about it more. I have come to the realisation that the problem isn't knowing what to eat but knowing why I eat so much usually. Anyway I thought I would join the forum to make some contact with people in the same boat.
Eloise.

Hi Eloise!
Thats exactly my problem too!! but ive been on cohens for about 2 months, and my stomach has shrunk heaps! i usually get pretty full just from what im eating on cohens now, and its so good to know that im not eating 2 huge plates of food before i get full. goodluck! :D
Nikita x

Hi Eloise & a big welcome to the forum. I don't think that there would be many over-weight or obese people in the world who would disagree with you about that. I think almost all of us replace or compensate for bad feelings with 'comfort eating'. It's much better to tackle your feelings & come to terms with them. "If food is not the problem, then eating is not the solution." I had counselling for the first time in my life at 55yrs & that really helped me. I think that it would be beneficial for almost everyone who has self-esteem issues because that is what needs to be turned around usually. I only went a few times but that was enough.
I also read motivational sayings & quotes regularly and have found that a mixture of doing that, walking, lots of self-talk (incl. using affirmations & stopping myself from being so self-critical,) reading motivational books & just generally doing things that make me feel better all have added up to me being a more centred & positive person. It still does not come naturally. Just as a child who is told they are not smart or are naughty will act to match the negativity then changing your negative thoughts about yourself will take time to convince yourself. It must be persevered with for it to work.
You are worth loving & you do deserve to be slim & healthy & have many options for doing what you want to in life. We all do :beating:
Eloise, don't ignore those inner demons. Face them squarely & deal with them. You can beat them & you will.
Catch up again soon, xo Cate
PS You have chosen a great plan to lose your weight. It is you who is doing it though so give yourself credit for every single day that you follow it. Well done!!

thanks

Hi Nikita & Cate,

Thanks for the welcome and kind thoughts. I am thinking about counselling of some kind but am beginning by attempting a book about spiritual lessons and weight loss. I really have to work on the belief part and the being positive about myself.
And I should be positive as my only deviations have been one sugar free mint, five small strawberries from my garden and two lima beans. The last two were totally unconscious - one because I found strawberries in my garden and I didn't plan them and the other because I was helping my mum and needed to check if the beans were cooked. When I think about all my other weight loss efforts, that's really good.
Christmas is finished and that's good - no more explaining required. I really wanted to do this without telling everyone but I think that might have been for fear I would fail and everyone would know, which is not very logical now I think about it. I know some of my friends have doubts about it because it's so strict.
The lesson is: forget about other people think and just do what I know is good for me.

The program continues and I am really happy I am sticking to it although shopping for food is very challenging and I tend to fantasise about what I could be eating. I don't know how healthy that is. Is feeling a bit weak just before you eat normal? I haven't really felt faint for a while, although in the first month I felt faint regularly. This afternoon I felt weak about five hours after I last ate - it maybe because I spent the day walking around the city but I made sure I rested a lot.
I haven't got any further on Marianne Williamson's book - I am stuck on lesson 1.

Is feeling a bit weak just before you eat normal? I haven't really felt faint for a while, although in the first month I felt faint regularly. This afternoon I felt weak about five hours after I last ate - it maybe because I spent the day walking around the city but I made sure I rested a lot.
Hi Eloise, I think you've hit the nail on the head. The Cohen's plans are quite low in "killer-joules" so spending the day walking around the city would have depleted your body's energy resources. You are not eating enough to fuel too much exercise & also experiencing hunger may jeopardise your commitment to the plan. You have the rest of your life to get fit & to be as active as you like when you get to goal weight. It will be an excellent part of your maintenance program & new lifestyle. Cheers for now, Cate

Hi Cate,
Thanks for the reply. I have to find a happy medium between resting and doing things. I think I associate sitting around with eating so sometimes I have to do something. I just need to make sure I don't overdo it.
eloise

Hi Eloise, I know what you mean. Finding that happy medium is the hardest thing to do in life! Sounds like you'll sort it :) xo Cate

sticking to it

:auto:Things are continuing as per the plan but the weight loss is slowing. I am happy I am sticking to it but wonder how long it's okay to stay on the program - probably I am just borrowing trouble because it's a long way off, getting to finish 6 months of the contract that is. I have lost approx 20kgs but have another 30 kg at least to go, and I am two weeks off the 3 month mark.
Also I don't think I have really sorted out the problem.
At the moment I am concentrating on the good - I am sticking to the plan and I feel heaps better.

Wow! 20kgs in 3 months! That's fantastic! I'm so glad to see that you are sticking to it. Sure, the weight-loss slows down, but it equates to 1.66 kgs per week & that is marvellous. Sometimes I think it's a good thing that it's not instant because by the time you get to your goal-weight you are closer to getting things sorted out in your head. It takes a while for your brain to catch up with your body. You are doing really well sweets! Keep up the great work! xoxo Cate
PS I divided the 20kg by 12 weeks, not 13 so 1.66 isn't exact. It's 1.53.

Last edited:
Very hungry today. Still continuing with the program but must make sure I keep a routine on the holidays. I think making sure you eat around the same times every day might be important.
And like everywhere else in the east of Australia, it's raining here and I'm feeling a bit gloomy too. All the rellies in QLD are okay I think so I shouldn't be so down.

Was out last night late and am now really tired, but stuck to the program. In the warmer weather, I seem to be drinking a lot of water so hopefully that's all right. Two more weeks of official holidays though work beckons tomorrow and I am likely to go in several days next week. Gorgeous weather now it's stopped raining - but I have also looked at the garden. It needs work!

Hi Eloise, Well done on sticking to the plan. If you are drinking too much water it will show on your next blood test so don't worry as the clinic will let you know. It happened to me when I was on my original program as I was really stressed at one stage & felt like drinking strong alcohol, but instead guzzled lots of water. It is hot here today too & I am getting out into my garden after lunch for a while. I'm plastered with sunscreen though & will wear a hat. Cheers, Cate.

:toetap05::toetap05:The man is here to stop the evil possum from getting in my roof. It's going to cost me a fortune. I am hoping soon to celebrate victory over Percy the possum. The concentration is not on the program but I have my 3 month blood test and weigh in tomorrow.

My appointment went well and she was able to answer a couple of questions. Firstly, if you can have 5 tsp of artificial sweetner and the litre of diet drink, which seems a bit excessive to me. She also said anything artificial will slow weight loss. Also my concerns about the end of the contract have been put to rest.
I have had to start work in earnest now though and am resenting it a lot.
Eloise

The long way

Apart from the usual wanting to eat to make myself feel better, things are going ahead as normal. After two days back at work I am very tired. Just pottered around at home today, which may be unaustralian but I never have celebrated Australia Day because it always signifies an end to the school holidays and as a teacher, it's hard to celebrate. I also pick and choose my social gatherings because there are some people who don't hear 'no' and hassle about food.
I have to keep focussing on the present - because every time I think about the future I don't believe I can sustain this for another 4-5 months. I don't know if it's a way for me to convince myself that's it's okay to deviate now because this is impossible. The games my mind plays!:seeya:

Apart from the usual wanting to eat to make myself feel better, things are going ahead as normal. After two days back at work I am very tired. Just pottered around at home today, which may be unaustralian but I never have celebrated Australia Day because it always signifies an end to the school holidays and as a teacher, it's hard to celebrate. I also pick and choose my social gatherings because there are some people who don't hear 'no' and hassle about food.
I have to keep focussing on the present - because every time I think about the future I don't believe I can sustain this for another 4-5 months. I don't know if it's a way for me to convince myself that's it's okay to deviate now because this is impossible. The games my mind plays!:seeya:
Hi Eloise, Have you thought about a change of career? Perhaps having studied so long to follow a career path you may feel that you must stick it out but I find it sad that you view the end of the school holidays that way. Enjoying your job is very important. You spend a lot of time at work!
I don't believe in celebrating Australia day on the 26th of January& feel we should choose a day that is more inclusive & less offensive.
I think you are being wise in choosing your social occasions. Learning to say no to 'friends' who hassle you about eating, becomes easier with time. Saying that you are choosing to eat healthier should be enough for them to leave you alone. If not query the 'friendship.' Friends should have one another's welfare at heart.
Your mind will always play games with you, until your habits change. It takes time to change the habits of a lifetime. You are doing the right thing by focussing on the present. Break it down step by step, hour by hour, day by day & congratulate yourself every single day that you stick to your plan. It will become habit & you can do this Eloise. Stick with it & prove it to yourself & to everyone else that you can take control of your health & become slim. You will look at life & yourself in a different way. It may make you look at your job in a different light as well.
Picture yourself slim every time that someone offers you something off plan. "Nothing tastes as good as slim feels."
xoxo Cate

Work and rain

Hi everyone,
Tried to post yesterday but the storm seemed to interfere with my wireless connection. Anyway, the house is still standing and I have not deviated although it was a near thing as it took me about 2 hours to get home today and my lunch was very delayed. People are driving stupidly.
I am back at work after a very long and lovely holiday and working stupid hours as per usual. I just finished about 2 hours on my laptop and I have many more before Monday.
All the work is improving my rate of weight loss though so I can't complain much. I also don't think about eating so much when I'm working. I have to walk around a lot which also might be helping.
I am seeing my doctor on Monday and I might try to ask for the free counselling you mentioned, Cate. Hopefully, she takes me seriously.
Being back at work has meant lots of compliments but also concern about my continuing on the program. I can see I still have a lot of weight to lose but others are not so sure. I must hide it well or something. I am still a size 16 at least on the bottom so I don't really understand.
Eloise

Hi Eloise, I have had it constantly about not losing any more weight, including from my LH (lovely husband.) Put your trust in the program & tell them that you are following a doctor's advice. People ar emore inclined to leave you alone if you say that. If you say "My doctor wants me to get down to a healthy BMI & then I can adjust back up if I want" they usually back off. Most have thought I weigh much less than I do. I'm quite tall so I can 'get away with it' but I don't want to be overweight. Who cares if I can fool people with my weight? Not me! I want to be healthy & I'm sure you do too. You're doing well Eloise & you deserve to give yourself every chance to be at your ultimate weight. Trust me, it's very easy to adjust up later if you want. It's way harder to lose a bit more later if you settle for a higher weight than your recommended Cohen's GW, xoxo Cate

Hi Cate,

Thanks for the advice and you're right about them not understanding what I really weigh. I think I have learned to dress well to hide my weight and so people don't realise that I still have lots to lose.

I know how much healthier and how much better I will feel about myself if I am at my goal - and it's something that I have never done before with weight loss, got to goal. I am now about 3 kg heavier than my lowest adult weight so getting past that will be a real milestone.

Today I have been more positive about it and just focussed on the nice things people have said like that I look younger and that my hair looks good, as well as the weight loss. The one thing I would like to say about teenagers though is that they are being really lovely about it and not suggesting anything other than that I look really nice.

The weather is slightly better too - there has been some sun. The garden looks a bit battered from the storm and rain but otherwise my place has not fared too badly.

Eloise

Back