Starting my journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

adhital

Hey,

So I know I shouldn't reveal too much about myself but I'm a junior at Uni right now, and I've decided to reprioritize my life starting with my health, so I guess today (Nov. 21st) is the first day of that. In the past few weeks I have found myself binging on lots of fried food and sugary things and not working out at all. I think a big thing for me is that I hate going to the gym and usually plug into my music to not have to deal with anyone else there, but currently I have no way of doing this since my phone is not really functioning. I'm a little overweight and I have always had body imaging issues because of it so I'd really appreciate any support I can get. I really want to follow through with this journey and I am really grateful that all of you are here with so much love and support.

Thanks,
AD

i had always been physically active until arthritis hit in my mid 50's. i now have three replacement joints (two knees and a hip), so i've especially cut out any running or activities that are rough on my joints (volleyball, bball, etc). today my exercise is simple walking. i walk less than a mile most days, but once or twice a week, i sometimes push 2-3 miles. but above all i try not to be sedentary during the day. yes, i do sit at the computer for an hour or two, but i live alone in a condo so i can always find some cleaning up to do and move around the place. also helps that my place is three floors, so i can climb steps practically all day.

so i don't go to a gym (for now) and i wouldn't say i burn a huge amount of kcals through exercise, but through mostly a change in diet (intermittent fasting + drastically cutting sugar and added sugar intake) i have made a substantial weight loss over the past 2-3 months. so don't sweat the gym neglect... just don't sit on your butt all day. movement is exercise, walking is exercise, climbing stairs is exercise.

cheers...gary

Hey,

So I know I shouldn't reveal too much about myself but I'm a junior at Uni right now, and I've decided to reprioritize my life starting with my health, so I guess today (Nov. 21st) is the first day of that. In the past few weeks I have found myself binging on lots of fried food and sugary things and not working out at all. I think a big thing for me is that I hate going to the gym and usually plug into my music to not have to deal with anyone else there, but currently I have no way of doing this since my phone is not really functioning. I'm a little overweight and I have always had body imaging issues because of it so I'd really appreciate any support I can get. I really want to follow through with this journey and I am really grateful that all of you are here with so much love and support.

Thanks,
AD
hey AD congrats on starting your journey! my biggest advice is to focus on lifestyle changes! not just short term diets. i see a lot of people get stuck in the "being super gung-ho" at the beginning then seeing a plateau and getting discouraged and fall off. just remember you can do it for long term by adopting new daily habits! you got this!

i had always been physically active until arthritis hit in my mid 50's. i now have three replacement joints (two knees and a hip), so i've especially cut out any running or activities that are rough on my joints (volleyball, bball, etc). today my exercise is simple walking. i walk less than a mile most days, but once or twice a week, i sometimes push 2-3 miles. but above all i try not to be sedentary during the day. yes, i do sit at the computer for an hour or two, but i live alone in a condo so i can always find some cleaning up to do and move around the place. also helps that my place is three floors, so i can climb steps practically all day.

so i don't go to a gym (for now) and i wouldn't say i burn a huge amount of kcals through exercise, but through mostly a change in diet (intermittent fasting + drastically cutting sugar and added sugar intake) i have made a substantial weight loss over the past 2-3 months. so don't sweat the gym neglect... just don't sit on your butt all day. movement is exercise, walking is exercise, climbing stairs is exercise.

cheers...gary
Even movement that isn't formal exercise is still activity! be active more than youre sedentary and you're good to go! great work gary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back