Starting HIIT...Should I get a scale???

Hello,

I have been lifting for about a month, but now I am starting to throw in some HIIT cardio. I was thinking of buying a scale that measure body fat so I can make sure I am losing body fat and not muscle. Anyone have any advise on scales to buy, stay away from, options I should look for.

Thanks,

Doug

PhxGuy520 said:
Hello,

I have been lifting for about a month, but now I am starting to throw in some HIIT cardio. I was thinking of buying a scale that measure body fat so I can make sure I am losing body fat and not muscle. Anyone have any advise on scales to buy, stay away from, options I should look for.

Thanks,

Doug

Bodyfat scales are the most inaccurate ways to measure bodyfat. DEXA is the gold standard for measuring BF nowadays...however out of reach for most individuals. You could get skinfolds done but even that is dependant on the competency of the person taking them and still often very inaccurate. FWIW, I think most people put too much unnecessary emphasis on bodyfat %. I myself am a competitive bodybuilder and never get my BF tested. I go by the mirror for a visual on how lean I'm getting and by my strength in the gym...if I am maintaining or gaining strength then I know I am maintaining muscle.

I agree with Wild for the most part. I have two options available to me. I have a hand-held omron bf tester, which I've been told, and experienced, is more consistant than a scale (but still as inaccurate). I also have 3-pt digital calipers, but considering a 7pt digital.

If you're not a competitive BB or cover model, than calipers or the electrical impedence method is fine, since you want to track a trend.

Back