Starting a gym, in desperate need of help

Hello

I'm 23 and currently I'm not happy with my build. I'm 6ft3 and weigh just over 224 pounds, I carry most the weight on my stomach/chest area, with a bit on my legs/face. A year ago I only weighed 182 pounds and I could eat as much as I wanted without exercise without putting on any weight at all.

I really want to lose all my fat and tone up, I don't want to get bulky I just want to be slim with some definition. I've planned to start going to my local gym at the end of the month [when I'm paid] but I really have no idea what I'm doing. Some of the main questions I have are:
How often should I go? I was thinking of going for a hour Monday-Friday and having the weekend off, but I don't know if this is enough or too much.
Also what kind of things should I eat? I know chicken and fish are good for muscle building but I don't know if these will help me lose weight while toning up. I've also been thinking of trying the slim fast diet but then I don't know if this would be optimal while going to the gym.

I don't have a picture of myself at my current weight, mostly because I avoid cameras since putting on the weight. But I'd say my figure is like the picture on the left but I'm not as wide and my arms are thinner.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ryan

Welcome to the site Ryan.

You've got the right ideas. I would suggest reading the stickies in the weight training section, and the nutrition section.

You could also start a log in the jopurnal section and track your workouts and progress with some of us.

OH yes, and why wait for the end of the month? Go outside and rtun, walk, play, get some sweat going. You don't have to have a gym to feel better.

Sweat Daily!
FF

around 5 hours a week sounds like a good plan. I'd say you should make sure you have at least a couple days off a week, because or else you run the risk of burning yourself out a bit. Keeping track of your workouts is a good idea so you can monitor your progress. Additionally if you find the gym a bit monotonous after a while, shaking things up and taking a cardio or kickboxing class for 1-2 days a week (many gyms offer them in-house) is good for added motivation

hi,
I think you should make the perfect diet plan to loss your weight. ot you can read the articles posted in this forums. that are really very helpful you to guide to loss your weight.

Hi Ryan,

all that means is your metabolism is slowing down and your body is finding it harder to burn off your food (this is a natural cycle that happens to just about anyone).

My advice would be to look up a good low carb diet plan and stick to it but also maybe find a good circuit training regime that will help you burn off any excess fat look for (high intensity training).

(removed)

p.s. also a good tip make sure you are drinking plenty of water. The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ryan,
Eating chicken and fish will not increase your weight as it will only increase the size of your Muscles. Make a full and tough diet plan for your body...

What ??? :confused:

Eat your carbs. You need them. Just know how much your body needs.

What ??? :confused:

Eat your carbs. You need them. Just know how much your body needs.

Agreed. Carbs aren't the evil people claim; the wrong carbs are. Make sure your carb sources (pasta, rice, bread etc) have 3g of fiber or more (read those labels!). Lower fiber carb sources cause an insulin spike and lead to fat retention. Better, get the majority of your carb calories from fresh veggies.

Also, if you snack before going to bed (as most do) its a good idea to stick with fat/protein foods. Carbs are used for energy and you won't be using many to sleep which means they will be stored (fat)

Carbs is carbs at the end of the day, the difference being the nutritional content.

"Lower fiber carb sources cause an insulin spike and lead to fat retention" please show me studies.

And that whole 'don't eat carbs before bed or it will turn into fat' is a myth.

Carbs is carbs at the end of the day, the difference being the nutritional content.

"Lower fiber carb sources cause an insulin spike and lead to fat retention" please show me studies.

I don't have time to fill your plate with studies but here is one relevant article from Oregon State University

Hello,
Being overweight is not good for health as well personalty. Yes you should start gym and make a lean strong body.

Most of the time when you use to go in gym they have a gym instructor that will help you on what you need to do.In Finland country there is a gym at that teaching new on building body and weight loss so that they can reach what they want.

If you can do 6 days workout then do one day cardio one day strength!
Alternate between cardio and strength training!
A healthy diet is very simple ! Respect the servings and you will lose weight easily!
During the day don't go over:
6 servings of carbs ( 2 slices whole weat bread for the breakfast, 2 granola cereal bars as snack, 2 1/3 cup of brown rice or pasta for lunch)
2 servings proteins ( 1 egg, turkey slice, cheese slice or salmon slice for breakfast, 1 slice chicken or fish or tuna on the size of the palm of your hand)
2-3 servings of diary food ( 1 small cup of milk + 1 yogurt)
1 bowl of cooked vegetables dring lunch
2 table spoons of nuts as a snack
Always a soup or Salad for dinner
Try to always eat early and on time, u can once a week have a fast food meal and no worries u'll burn it on ur next workout
PS: when doing strength training avoid lifting lot of weight as you are still young and you want to avoid not letting your bones growing properly
also Breakfast is essential to boost your metabolism so yes start having it immediately ;)

If you are planning to lose weight, going to gym is a great way of doing it. Just make sure that you are not doing too much in less time. Understand your capacity and plan the work out accordingly. Also, focus on increasing the endurance on a gradual basis.

Have self control and determination on what you want to achieve. And,I know you have it,so it will not be as difficult as it seems. Follow those advice given to you and you're good to go.

Merging into a gym routine can be mystifying if you've never worked out before. But building a fitness routine starts with the simple move of getting yourself out of the house and into the gym.

Back