sprouts...

overlandflyer

one of my last "never tried it before" vegetables.
i hear roasting is the best way to prepare and i found a few recipes.

Brussels sprouts.jpg
so far i've seen them called brussel sprouts, Brussels sprouts & Brussels sprout.

frankly, though i understand it, i'm not a big fan of attorneys general.
...and don't get me started on "emails".

Don't know what to call them, but I do like eating them. I usually have them steamed, but have had them roasted and fried, I like them any way I can get them. Though I don't eat much fried food now adays.

The city they´re named after is called Brussels (Bruxelles in French), so I say Brussels(´?) sprouts. I like the little ones, not a fan of the the big ones. Shredded they´re good for coleslaw, I quite like them simply boiled as a side, but my favorite is parboiled, then halved and fried in butter on the cut side.

yeah, .... boiled is one reason i don't think i've tried them before. that how my mom prepared them, but just for herself. it might be an acquired aroma, but to be nice, to me it's a pretty harsh odor. i figure in the oven would cut that back some...(?)

are these large? that's about a 6" bowl.
there were small ones there... not many.

split in half, some oil drizzled over, seasoned, etc. is the way i've see them roasted.

.... Though I don't eat much fried food now adays.
the market deli does an Orange Chicken once in a while and i sometimes get a ½lb, but aside from that, i don't make anything breaded and fried at home. above the nutrition, it's usually a mess to clean up i don't need. eggplant... maybe the last thing i remember breading/ frying, but that was a while ago.

yeah, .... boiled is one reason i don't think i've tried them before. that how my mom prepared them, but just for herself. it might be an acquired aroma, but to be nice, to me it's a pretty harsh odor. i figure in the oven would cut that back some...(?)
They only turn gross when you boil/cook them too long - sulfur compounds getting released and all that. Which is why you want the little ones - or halve them if they´re bigger: doesn´t take anywhere near as long to cook through so they stay much nicer. If that´s a 6 inch bowl they´re massive. Ideally I like them ~3 cm in diameter after cleaning. 4 cm high is on the highest end of ok for me.

I like them oven roasted, but I have a heck of a time getting them just right (mushy vs pleasantly crispy vs burnt)

We call them Brussel sprouts & only buy them when they are small, put a cross on the top to help them cook evenly & steam.

I like them oven roasted, but I have a heck of a time getting them just right (mushy vs pleasantly crispy vs burnt)

Ok, think I'm getting closer... Rinsed these yesterday, patted them dry, then refrigerated overnight to fully dry. Today I sliced them in half, brushed on a little olive oil & seasoning, and then baked them in a convection oven at 400° F for 30 minutes:

20201025-140502-1.jpg

(I didn't realize the camera didn't focus until after I ate them)

I might try 395° & 35 minutes next time, but these were pretty good. About 125 calories for 8 sprouts as prepared...

If you are into spicy i suggest after oiling them throw some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes on them and the barest bit of parmesan cheese to balance the heat.

I make Brussels sprouts often as it is one of the few green things my dad will eat. I have an air fryer and i usually throw them in there with the same results as oven roasting.

same bowl ... better size?

sprout minis.jpg

i didn't even split them this time, though they were a bit underdone.
i think i'm zeroing in on the prep.... stir fried with some leftover chicken, corn, onions and mushrooms.

IMG_2393.JPG

Much better size! I still would´ve halved them but they look very nice.

they were so tiny i thought they might fall apart, but when i cut one cooked it held shape... somewhat... some random leaves around. sliced would have been the ticket to get them cooked thoroughly without overcooking the other things. 3rd time should be a winner.

i have been pan frying them (halved) with other vegetables, but as a first step, when the pan is up to heat, i throw in a few tbsps of water and cover the pan to let them steam for about 5 minutes. gets them nice and tender before the other veg are added.

Got a brussels sprouts question. Why do they seem to have more calories than a comparable weight of broccoli or cauliflower? They are all the same species. Not a big difference, but according to the packaging on the frozen ones I get a cup of cauliflower is 20 calories, broccoli 25, and brussels sprouts 45.

Thought one of you sprout experts might know.

Perhaps a matter of density?

Calories per 100g cooked
Broccoli: 54
Brussel sprouts: 55
Cauliflower: 44

Back