Cohen's Lifestyle Spices in Cooking

Prefix for Cohen's Lifestyle

shine

I am taking this opportunity with Cohens to experiment with using spices in my cooking.

I have just found some lovely basic and nearly all relevant (to Cohens) information that we could use with our cooking and wanted to share:

I have edited out the irrelevant parts! And remember 1 teaspoon collectively of all condiments, herbs and spices per day.

Say you want to give your steak a Moroccan flavour. Start with small amount of a pungent spice that is characteristic of Moroccan cuisine, an amount of ground cumin seed. To this add a little tangy spice to tantalize the taste buds, an equal amount of ground ginger. Next we want a little heat, but not everyone likes hot food, so add a quarter of the same amount of mild chilli powder.

Now, to make these spices all work well together and to balance the mix, add four times the amount of ground coriander seed. Mix well and add a pinch of salt if desired. Rub the mix generously onto the steak, squeeze over a little lemon juice to moisten the coating and allow to dry marinate in the fridge for half and hour. Grill, barbecue or pan fry. Squeeze a little more lemon on just before serving with your allowance of vegetables.

So how would one spice the vegetables?

Because the flavours of vegetables are less robust than meats, we will avoid the pungent and hot spices, yet add an appealing spiciness with sweet and tangy spices. With steamed cauliflower, zucchini or squash, sprinkling with ginger and nutmeg. To the greens, add a half a teaspoon of mint and serve.

This is from

Please add yours, I am keen to learn and experiment more!

Thanks for the information! I also love spices. I'm vegetarian and use all kinds of spices on my food. For example this mix of garlic, pepper, thyme and onion. And I use ginger a lot too. Mmm :)

f garlic, pepper, thyme and onion. And I use ginger a lot too. Mmm :)

All great spices! You can easily spice up some vegetables with onions and garlic alone.

It's important to realize that spices are not just magic powders that come in jars. They are just regular foods.

Sometimes adding in other foods will complement each other very well. For example: brussel sprouts, butternut squash and pine nuts, roasted together, tastes great in the winter.

Learning to make vegetable curries is a great way to learn about a group of spices and I'd suggest you try Vietnamese food to showcase that herbs like basil are just foods that can be chopped up and eaten in a salad.

dishes from vegetables prepared in the oven acquire a completely different taste. High temperature extracts natural sugar from vegetables, thanks to which they become golden and smell beautiful. You can sprinkle vegetables with olive oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. After a few dozen minutes in the oven you will receive a tasty and healthy vegetable dish, which may be an addition or a basis for dinner. Vegetable dishes are light and low-calorie provided that you do not add too much oil, mayonnaise and other fattening additives to them. A great way to "turn up" the taste without additional calories are herbs and spices:
Basil, parsley, coriander, thyme, oregano, savory, rosemary, mint are herbs that turn an ordinary salad into a unique dish. For vegetables, it is worth adding a pinch of spices (such as: chili, cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric) that will enliven the dish.
The most vitamins, minerals and antioxidants are found in raw vegetables. During thermal processing, some of the micronutrients are destroyed, which is why it is so important to eat them in the least processed form. You have many options to choose from, but if you get bored of salads and salads, try eating vegetables with dips.

Back