Speed Bag workout

I was fascinated watching Hilary Swank working with the speed bag in Million Dollar Baby. It really looked like fun. Wouldn't that be a really good shoulder and arm workout? My workout club has a heavy bag but not a speed bag ( they say it wood be noisy), so I want to get one and use it at home. Would it be hard to learn? The movie didn't show much of HOW to use it. are there any training programs for it?

also, think that bag suspended on cords look cool to. what do they call that, and would that be a good work out also.?

thanks for any help.

i've used both of what you're talking bout and they are not hard to use.
i've used both in golds gym they're for boxing right?

now that you mention it, i might consider getting a speed bag.

I think their is a site called speedbag central, and I believe it has some demo vids on correct technique.Getting a good rythym going on the speed bag is harder than many think and most boxers use a fast pace for 3 minute periods.It will definitely build up your shoulder muscles.Also, the size of the bag you use will determine the difficulty.The smaller the bag, the faster it moves, and the more difficult it can be to time.

The other bag you mentioned, if suspended from the floor and the ceiling by rope and cords, is called a double-end bag or timing bag.These are good for timing and hand-eye coordination.

I'd go for the double end bag (or target bag) over the speed bag. They are funner and more useful. But that's just my opinion.

Speedbag vs Double End bag

Prometheus said:
I'd go for the double end bag (or target bag) over the speed bag. They are funner and more useful. But that's just my opinion.

The Double End Bag is used for different things than the speed bag. Both work rhythmic target punching, but the DEB has a variable rebound Arc, making it better for "slipping". and the user must adjust their distance more with a Double End Bag since it could hit them on a recoil. But you can't work a double end bag as fast as a speed bag, and your arms and shoulders are definitely "burned" more by the speed bag for long periods. But both are fun and easy bags for home workouts.

speedbag said:
The Double End Bag is used for different things than the speed bag. Both work rhythmic target punching, but the DEB has a variable rebound Arc, making it better for "slipping". and the user must adjust their distance more with a Double End Bag since it could hit them on a recoil. But you can't work a double end bag as fast as a speed bag, and your arms and shoulders are definitely "burned" more by the speed bag for long periods. But both are fun and easy bags for home workouts.

Yes I know. I've used them both extensively for boxing and Muay Thai. Istill say, between the two, I'd go with the double-end bag.

can a double end bag be installed in an apartment or home? how does it work. since the bag is in the middle and there are to cords. I see there are hooks is there like a thing ur suppose to nail the the ceiling? how bout the floor?

soaringxh3n said:
can a double end bag be installed in an apartment or home? how does it work. since the bag is in the middle and there are to cords. I see there are hooks is there like a thing ur suppose to nail the the ceiling? how bout the floor?

Yes. You will probably have to put one hole in the ceiling. That's about it. You can avoid putting a hole in the floor by using a weight to hold it down. I use a 25 pound Olympic weight plate and slide the cord through it, then attach the cord to the metal bar at the other end. Tighten the cord up and you're ready to go. Make sure the weight plate is heavy enough (I use a 25 lb plate). You can use it in an apartment but you'll have to move stuff out of the way so it doesnt hit anything. The room I have mine in is rather small and I have no problems. As long as you have a few feet around the bag in every direction it will work fine.

SpeedBall Record set for non-stop punching

Heather Wellard in Kent, UK just set the GBWR for non-stop speedball ( speed bag ) punching.

26 hours non-stop Speedbag Punching :D

Just got her name, and our bag in the record books!

Congrats to her!!

Speed Bag Forum

Speed Bag punching seems to be growing! Hilary Swank gave it a huge push in Million Dollar Baby.

There is a new web forum concerning speed bag equipment and training, called

I may be partial, but I hope this trend continues! Several of the best speed baggers I have ever seen (and taught..) are woman, for the speed bag cares little for the sex of the user.

As a female friend of mine says:

I know this is a nutty question to ask but how does the speed bag and the double end ball benefit a boxer

could anybody explain it, i relatively naive about this whole thing :)

speed bag and double end bag.

Benny said:
I know this is a nutty question to ask but how does the speed bag and the double end ball benefit a boxer

could anybody explain it, i relatively naive about this whole thing :)

These are often called the "light bags" in the boxing gym. Light in that you don't necessary smash them with full power punches, and they are light and fast moving, unlike the long cumbersome heavybag.

They both help with timing, coordination of repetitive punching movments to a moving target, eye-hand coordination. Think of the old boxing cliche "stick and move". There is a rhythmic flow to this, moving around and mixing hand combinations, without losing balance. The light bags help you learn to "stick" (punch") quickly and repetively. You can do some footwork on them also, but the speed bag is a little more limited in that regard. Double End Bags normally allow you to move all around them.

Defensively, (for all sports) they also help you learn to keep your hands up in the ready position. Particularly the speed bag, which is almost impossible to hit with your hands help low.

here is a link to more about

I love the speedbag, I can do the backhand hitting technique pretty effectively, but I've been trying to add some bobandweave with hooks/jabs/and rights at it.

I was fascinated watching Hilary Swank working with the speed bag in Million Dollar Baby. It really looked like fun. Wouldn't that be a really good shoulder and arm workout? My workout club has a heavy bag but not a speed bag ( they say it wood be noisy), so I want to get one and use it at home. Would it be hard to learn? The movie didn't show much of HOW to use it. are there any training programs for it?

also, think that bag suspended on cords look cool to. what do they call that, and would that be a good work out also.?

thanks for any help.

Maybe something you might want to consider also is a standing speed bag. I have one it works grate, because you can also adjust it to work on your kicking. They sell for about 60-80 bucks with the stand the bag and gloves. I got mine at bed bath and beyond.

Back