Sparrows Experiment

S

sparrow

Hello all,

I have really enjoyed this site. Its SO informative!
First of all I want to give stats to help those posters who chose to respond to anything I'm going to write
I am 28 yr old female 5'6 130 pounds. BF is 15.7%.

Some background. I was always a very chubby kid. I weighed what I weigh now when I was 4 foot-something. Not cool. When I was a bit older my parents put me on a swim team to get me active and I began losing a lot of that baby weight without a conscious change in diet. Older still, in high school I was very engaged in year round competetive swimming. In my drive for excellence I developed anorexia. It started as a desire to be as lean as possible and be healthy but later became more when my weight was all I cared about and a drive for perfection outweighed a drive for health.
I was hospitalized 8 months into it for 2 weeks and then I began gaining the necessary weight so I could get back to the pool.
In my struggle for weight gain I was at one time at 4000 cals and still losing!

Somehow between then and now I dwindled my cals down very very low. I have always been a very healthy eater but as each child came ( I have 3) and life became busy I found myself eating less and less and maintaining a very active lifestyle of running and swimming. I never lost weight I just ended up in starvation mode without knowing it. most recently I became very tired of my rabbit food. I eat loads of salad, veggies and lean protein but after doing a food diary for a week I found I eat an average of 600-800 cals a day. not good. I also gain weight practically at the smell of food. If i even eat anything "normal" for any length of time I gain weight and it shows in my tight clothes. Makes it hard to socialize!

I talked to someone about my situation and they recommended increasing cals and backing off on cardio while increasing weights. SO because I'm willing to do anything to be back to "normal" I've been doing it.

I do weights 4 days a week hitting all body parts once. I lift challenging weights and do a pyramid. I do cardio 4-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes at different intensities. This is all much less than I was used to before but it seems to be way more effective.

I started my cals at 800 and have increased over the past 3 weeks to 1300. I try to bounce around so my body doesn't get cozy with that number but mostly it hovers there and I increase a bit weekly. My goal is to get near 1800-2000 and be able to add a bit more cardio, cause I like it! I started out at 19% bf so I'm happy with whats happening. I also haven't gained weight in this process. I eat clean 5 times a day and incorporate a complex carb, lean protein in each meal. I do fruits sometimes in the morning in addition to my complex carb.

I am SO full all the time but I think that just comes with the territory. I would love feedback as I post things in this diary. I ultimately would like to lose just a bit...to 125 and decrease body fat even more to maybe 13-14%.

I am having a hard time getting past this 1300 mark. I know some of you are totally laughing at me right now...1300..WHAT is she crazy? who can eat that little! but its a TON more than I'm used to..believe me you would have gasped at what I could get by on daily and NOT lose a pound...even gain sometimes! Anyway 1300 seems like its just about as much as I can handle. I add peanut butter, almonds, olive oil etc to increase cals when I just can't handle more food...but its been hard.

SO thats that. I look forward to your responses and advice!

Sparrow

Sparrow, I know exactly what you mean about being able to eat 600-800 calories and live off that. Sometimes I check my food journal, and I've only eaten about 900 calories for the entire day, with about 500 of those at lunch!

Sparrow, it's great to see you are recovering. It seems like you are on the right track with your current routine. I believe that you will evetually get to eat more cals in a day. You just have to take it slowly. I mean you're up to 1300 now. Yes, I'll be honest that is a bit low, but it is a hell of a lot better than when you were. Congrats on your improvements thus far. If I can be of any help in your future posts, I will offer my advice as I'm sure others on here will. Keep up the great work :)

I have a few more questions....

First one is.. I am starting to gain at 1300. I am 131.2 and I've gained the past 3 days doing my normal weight/cardio routine. When trying to increase cals without gaining should I stay here a while until my weight stablizes and then add more or what? I don't want to increase when I'm already gaining, that will mess with my brain. I know also some of that could be muscle weight. But still. thats where I stand.

Second is...hmm I forgot second....haha I'll get back to ya

Hi there,
I'm glad to see you making such an effort to be healthy. You are definately ont he right track.
When I work with people who under eat on increasing their calories to a healthy level I usually recommend not more than a 50 calorie a week increase, sometimes less. When you've been eating so little of course the body is going to store those extra calories coming in as fat. How frustrating! It takes time for your metabolism to improve. Sometimes it takes a lot longer than it seems like it should, but it will happen.
If I can answer any questions or help at please let me know. Keep up the good work!

Sarah

Thanks Sarah,

I read your post today and I'm sorry things are so stressy. You have been a real inspiration on this site and have helped so many. I hope whatever you are up against right now will work itself out and you will find ways to destress in the midst of trial. I have really been there.

50 cals a week seems like nothin but I get the reason behind it. I increased very quickly at the beginning because I wasn't gaining and was even losing at the beginning like .2 a day. As long as I lost or maintained I hiked it up. 1300 seems to be the number my body is grabbing at and I'm gaining on it. Do you think I should stay here or go down a little until I even out and then increase? Course it is different for everyone but how long typically will it take for the body to "reset" and am I at a number thats above "starvation mode" yet? Do your clients increase regardless of what their weight is doing? this is all so foreign to me so I appreciate any wisdom you have on the subject.

Here is today:

1/2 cup oat bran hot cereal (its just 60 cals for a half serving but i was on my way to the gym..didnt' want to feel too full)
1 scoop whey (110)
some soy milk to mix it all up (20)
1tsp glutamine(20)
flax oil capsule
(210)

Baja Fresh Chicken Ensalada without chips and extra pico
1/2 cup black beans on top
small bit of ranch/juice from limes
(400)

Dannon Fit n Light yogurt (60)
Scoop whey (100)
(160)

2 low carb tortillas (120)
tomato, onion, lettuce (30)
1 can tuna (130)
1/2 cup black beans (70)
(350)

1 T Peanut butter
1 cup soy milk (170)

Total 1290

Workout:
Shoulders, Chest, Abs:
dumbell shoulder press 15 pounds 3x15
front shoulder raise (holding one isometrically while lifting the other) 7 pounds 3x10
pushups with legs up on bench 10, 8, 6
bench press 45, 55, 65 ...10, 8, 6
reverse crunch (think thats what it is) on bench (lie on back and lift legs up and down off bench each way a count of 5 to raise and lowe.r last one of each set to hold isometrically 15 sec) 3x10
CARDIO: 40 min precor level 12 5 min forward/5 min backward squatting down to work butt and legs

Oh I remember my question
Hows crystal light? I love that stuff and I hate drinking water plain. Can I get away with drinking like even 24 oz of crystal light a day and the rest water? I can get all my intake in then if I do, but i'm not sure its good. I also noticed as soon as I started drinking it I starting gaining. Any correlation?

Also (I'm sorry!) how quickly can one lose body fat? and how often should it be measured.

I'm sure I'm going to have a load of questions as I continue so please bear with me! I appreciate your guys' patience and willingness to respond!
Sparrow

Today was my off day. I was 130.2. I don't normally like weighing so much but I am for now to monitor what my weight does in relation to my calorie intake that I'm trying to increase.

Instead of church today I went to see Peter Pan in SF with my kids at the theater. It was awesome. The kids were SO excited as it was a surprise. I have a 7yr girl, 5 yr boy and 3 yr girl.
It was nice to relax in body and soul today....

B- 1 cup soy milk
1 scoop whey
1 T peanut butter

S-String cheese

L-Burger King Ceasar Chicken Salad with very minimal dressing, handful french fries

S-couple ritz crackers

D-Chipotle Chicken Burrito (rice, black beans, chicken, guac, sr cm, fajita veggies)
small scoop vanilla ice cream

I've never had a cheat day. I've never even eaten a burrito like that before but I have done such a great job for almost a month and it was a special day. I'll see if cheats are for me. Originally I was only going to cheat lunch or dinner but it was "one of those days" hard to really watch it when we were having so much fun. Anyway, the burrito and ice cream were totally worth it, although I am stuffed to the max right now.
Back to it tomorrow...

Sparrow!
That is so pretty to say .. Sparrow, is that your real name?? hmm, well its pretty.

Um, my journal is open for you to look at , I have two kids they are 4 and 2 yrs old. I gained all the way up to 205 lbs with my first baby !! EEEEK!!

and then got to 185 with my second child. still eeek ! Then last year I started working out all the time and cutting calories and developed anorexia it hit the hardest around August of last year and I got down to the smallest I've ever been in my life. I decided to finally ask for help not just from here but from family members and my fiance. they all were glad to finally help me out after me pushing them away for so long.

I found it real hard to eat at first and I also gained weight. But it eventually levelled off. Now I've been at the weight I am for a couple months and actually now am just beginning to lose weight, I've finally gotten my metab. up and have lost 2 pounds so I know you can do it too !! :)

You're story sounds alot like mine , and I think we can help each other out ya know?

Feel free to message me anytime or ask anything I would like to see you progress and soon I promise you will be able to eat ' normal ' and you will be alot happier without being preoccupied with your weight and the mirror. You can do it !!

:)

Hi!
Thank you for what you said. :)
I really like Crystal lite. I try not to drink to much of that stuff, but it's a reall yummy treat once in a while.
As for body fat, I would say test it every 2 weeks. If you test it more often you may not see much change in numbers, which can be frsutrating. Body fat readings will fluctuate some.
Personally, I say stay where you are at with calories for the time being, then try to increase slightly more, unless you really feel you are gaining a lot now and are really uncomfortable with it. I think that if you changes the types of food you are eating and balanced meals and ate more often you would probably be gaining less. I know it's totally frustrating!
Sometimes it can take months for someone's metabolism to repair itself. It's so different for everyone. As for my clients, it varys a lot. If someone is gaining too much I slow up their calorie increases. I recently had one persons RMR increase drastically over the course of the winter, while other people have ups and downs for months and progress is slow.

Anyway, hope my info is helpful!

Sarah

Thanks, it is helpful.
On the whole do you see my meals as balanced? Also I eat 5-6 times a day. I need to eat more than that? I'll stay where I am with the cals for now. The day after I posted my frustration I just out of the blue went down a pound and now I'm hovering back where I started between 130.2-130.8. It only bounces around within those numbers. Anyway, I know you're busy Sarah but please let me know how I can do things better for optimum results..if you wouldn't mind.

I'll go ahead and post my day:

B- Scoop whey, 1 c soy milk

-gym time-back, bi's, tri's

seated row: 12@60, 8@70, 6@80
lat pulldown:15@60, 12@70, 8@80
dumbell row: 20# 3x12
alt bi curl 15# 3x15
barbell curl 30#3x10
dips
dumbell (arm out back extentions..what are those called for tri's?) 3x12 8#

Cardio *60 min* level 12. 5 min forward/5 backward squatting 20 sec within each minute on the backwards

haha I'm a dork. I stopped posting with breakfast. whew. I need a nap.

ok after I worked out I just had lunch (late start to my day today so it pushed everything back)

Lunch: chicken fajitas: 2 whole wheat tortillas
1 cup cooked chicken
1/2 sliced bell pepper
1 roma tomato
2 T fat free sour cream
water

snack: 1 scoop whey
1 T PB
1 fit n light vanilla yogurt

dinner: omelette:
8 egg whites
onion, tomato, mushroom, olives, diced green bell pepper
1 oz moz. cheese
1 whole wheat tortilla

Total 1150ish

Oh for some reason I was thinking you were only eating 3-4 meals a day. Sorry!
Your food choices are not bad (pretty healthy actually!), but since you're struggling eating as natural as possible would probably be helpful. Meal choices such as egg whites and oatmeal, meat with legumes and veggies, whey and brown rice cakes, meat with brown rice, yam or barley. Lots of veggies and high fiber foods, little processed food. I would say keep saturated fats very minimal, with a few sources of good fats. A little fruit before workouts. Try for as little processed foods as possible, though I know that is SO hard!
Looking back I saw some meals that weren't a great protein/carb balance, but overall not that bad.
Of course, these recommendations are just from reading your posts and not doing a thorough assessment of you. Just my experience based on what I've read here.

Oh I think I know the exercise you mean for triceps. I call it standing one arm extensions, but some people call it french press.

I have to say your chicken fajitas look SO good! :eek: That sounds so good right now.

Good night!

Sarah

Hey Sparrow , do you have a FitDay account? If you do would you mind posting your public journal ? I will give you mine too.

But mine is usually pretty bad, Especially last night...I was real out of balance and messed up my routine alot.

Sounds like you are doing REALLY good. I wish i could do what you do cuz I would probably lose weight then , I can't stay away from something sweet at night I get a really bad sweet craving and usually go for something sugar free but end up eating alot of it....

Sorry I ended up talking about my problems in your journal!! lol !!

I just think you are doing really good, Too bad you don't live around me , you know how I feel and would be so nice to have someone around who understands and someone to work out with and keep me on track..

Well have a great day ! Keep writing in your diary !

Another day. Man I have been the biggest grump today. I think I have some seasonal allergies going on. I feel awful!

Break: 1/2 cup oatmeal
1 scoop soy protein
1/2 cup large grapefruit
* workout*
snack: 1 T pb with celery

Lunch: 1 large low carb tortilla (mission made with soy flour)
1 6 oz can tuna
1/2 cup black beans
cut red onion, cut celery, lettuce and 1 roma tomato

snack: shake with chocolate whey protein and chocolate soy milk

dinner: 1 cup diced chicken
1/2 cup rice
1 cup broccoli

1350 cals

Today I had a very weary workout...
shoulders/chest
1 hour precor level 12
Last night I added about 200 onto my original plan for the day for a total of about 1400. I was 129.8 this morning. that was nice. I guess the cheat was a a good thing.

I think I'm coming down with something. I was able to take a nap today and look forward to an early bedtime. Tomorrow is my legs/swimming day. I'm so glad.

Last edited:
Today I'm starting out not so hot.
I wanted to get up really early and get to the gym because its less of a disruption to my day. But that didn't happen. My 3 yr old still wakes up quite frequently in the night. I woke up SO tired and lethargic. This happened yesterday too. I had to take a nap-which is RARE for me. I'm not sure whats up. I have been working out 5-6 days a week with cardio on all those days (45-60 min) and strength training 3-4 times a week. This isn't an unusual schedule for me and actually its a step back from what I was doing before (I was training for a half marathon so i was running 50 miles a week plus weights). Any thoughts anyone? I have been maintaining my 1300ish calorie a day menu which for those of you who are following my posts is double what I was eating before. I haven't been gaining anymore so I may up it again soon. I just want to know why my body isn't recovering very quickly from workouts and why I am so so tired! post your thoughts ?!
Today I was 129.8 again.

Here what today will be:

Breakfast 1 cup soy milk
1 scoop whey

tried to work out after that.....but only did 40 laps in the pool and some leg weights

snack: 1/2 ground turkey (93/7), 1/4 cup brown rice
lunch: 1 cup diced chicken, 1/2 cup rice, bell pepper, onion and garlic sauteed, tomato and letuce
snack: cottage cheese, 1 scoop whey
dinner: Stirfry
2 slices tofu
2 cup cauliflower
1 cup broccoli
1/2 cup rice
snack: sugar free pop.
1300...I may shoot for more if my body is agreeable with it.

Last edited:
You're bodys all like wtf right now, give it some time. I can't believe you're still having trouble with your 3 yr old in the night , how come? Well I actually find my 2 yr old son in unexplained areas of the house at night not sure if he's sleepwalking or what , but like...in closets lol , and the hallway mostly I have to real careful in the mornings...sometimes I find him under my bed too hahaha! seriously. There's a foot and half gap under my bed and I guess it looks cozy under there with the stuffed animals and all. He's so cute laying his little head on teddy bears and whatnot. :)

okay so back to you ! LOL !

Didn't you say you thought you might be coming down with something? Maybe so , either that or your body's feeling a lil off balance since it was used to what it was used to. By looking at your menu, it looks well.. fantastic!! and so NOT boring like mine is .. I am gonna try tofu never have cuz of the price! ouch! But I am gonna try it and see what everybody is talking about.

Don't think you're doing anything wrong. I think its either you may be having a small seasonal deal (allergies) or a really weak 'bug' OR your body is off balance with chemicals and hormones...speaking of hormones it could be that too ya know ? Is Aunt FLO visiting!??? LMFAO !! haha, sorry..:p

Yeah Jaymie, I guess it could be a lot of things. TOM (time of month...ew) is due in a week so I often have a week of just feeling like crap before that.
The 3 yr old has ALWAYS been this way, ever since she was born. She has had very few nights of actually sleeping through. Right now she has night terrors. If you've never been through those with a child...whew let me tell you, they are a TREAT :( I also find her in unexplained areas of the house. haha sometimes she falls asleep on the stairs as she's wandering around!

Tofu isn't too expensive. I shop at a store that its 1.28 for the extra firm kind you can stir fry. You can get
the soft kind to put in shakes. At that same store I buy 5 doz. eggs at a time for 3.30. its awesome. there are ways to make the healthy eating work for your budget. It just takes a little creativity. It is hard to do when you are the only one eating it and then you have to still shop for little people. Thats where it can get expensive if you aren't careful. I try to keep our family pretty much on the same page. They all eat the whole grain, oatmeal, brown rice stuff too as well as veggies and lean meats. The only difference is the occasional mac n cheese and hotdogs, snacks for school lunches or deli meats which I don't eat.

it really helps if you can make a solid plan at the end of a day for the next day and tell yourself you will NOT deviate no matter what then look forward to a good cheat at the weekend. Set your cals to a realistic number and then plan foods to the number and plan where your exercise goes. write it down. Its a map and all you have to do is follow it the next day. Looking forward to the cheat is what will spur you on to success for the week. If you become munchy or hungry during times you didn't plan then note that, drink water and increase your cals the next day.

just some stuff thats worked for me...

Last edited:
Hello,
Another day. How is everyone?

Today I feel more human. I just did cardio today which was such a nice thing. In and out of the gym. fast. I did 15 min of running and 45 on the precor machine. I LOVE running but most of the time I've eaten right before the gym and its SO hard to run after eating. Today I was 129.8 even after increasing yesterday. yay

I have had no desire to fix food today so unfortunatly I'm doing more shakes than anything. I'll try for more real food as the day goes on.
Between my kids and I, I feel like I'm in the kitchen CONSTANTLY. It gets tiring.

Breakfast: scoop whey, 1 cup chocolate soy milk, 1 t. glutamine
snack: couple bites of caesar salad (that wasn't planned I was out with my husband at work and it was part of his lunch) bite of cake bite of ice cream...oops ;)
lunch: 2 scoops whey, 1 cup chocolate soy milk, 1/4 cup toasted wheat bran, 1 tsp glutamine, 1 tsp pb
snack: 1T peanut butter, celery
Dinner: 1 large LC whole wheat tortilla with 8 scrambled egg whites and 1 oz moz. cheese
snack handful raw peanuts and raw almonds (to get me to my cals 1400 for the day)

I'm tired of eating! Does that make sense? anyone ever get this way? I'm also getting VERY bored with the same old foods. I need some fresh ideas. can anyone give me some unique spins on combos or spicing up typical bodybuiler foods? I need like some good sample menus that are interesting. I also still seem pretty carb resistant so I'm trying to increase the good carbs slowly. Anyway, I need some advice. I feel like I'm slipping (bites of bad food here and there). I also want to post my typical week of working out and get some advice on the exercises I'm doing, reps or whatever. Cause it often feels like I'm hardly doing anything, but maybe thats normal too. I dunno. help!

Monday: Back, Bi, Tri
Back:
seated row 3 sets increase 10# each set
Dumbell row 3x12 at 20#
Dubell curl 3 sets increase weight each set and decrease reps
barbell curl 3x12 35#
French press (tricepts) 3x12 8#
dips 3x15 with feet on a bench
cardo -1 hr steady

Tuesday Chest/shoulders
chest:
bench press 3 sets increase weight each set
push ups with feet on bench hands on floor 3x8 or until max
Front raise (shoulders) 3x12 7# (holding one arm isometric while other is raise
lateral raise
dumbell shoulder press 3x15 15#
cardo 1 hr

Wednesday: legs/abs
leg press 3x15
one leg alternate press 3x8
ham curl 3x10 increase each set
calf raises 3x20
swim 1 hr or 3200 yds

Thursday off (sometimes wednesday is off and legs are thursday instead)

Friday same as Monday
Saturday same as Tuesday but less cario
Sunday off.

sorry so long!

Last edited:
Back