soo discouraged

I am new to the forum and am looking for advice please! Two years ago I went through chemo (doing good now) it fried my thyroid and now I am hypothyroid, I also am going through menopause am 52 years old. I have been working very hard the past year to loose the 20 lbs I gained when my thyroid went south, I also have had to rebuild my stamina. I weighed 120 before the chemo and was in good shape, I have always been active and I have a farm with all that entails, hauling hay, working fences, sick and well animals, constantly busy. I joined a gym two months ago I do cardio and weights 5 times a week. I try to stay hydrated and I do eat low fat low carb diet. I do treat myself maybe once a week. I snack on air popped popcorn and sometimes a piece of fruit, I drink unsweetened tea and water. I have gained weight! I am toning but not as fast as I want am I being impatient or do I need to do something else? I know it will take time and so far things have toned my arms, back and legs the stomach is going to take a while, the upper abs are not doing much. I do leg lifts for the lower half of my body. I started with light weight with more reps and have gone to heavier weights with less reps. Is it just going to take more time before I see bigger differences.?

The fact that you are of sound mind and are frustrated with your program speaks volumes to your outlook. You may not have stopped to realize this but you are behaving normally and that must mean you are full of life and hope. Being frustrated with your 'lack of progress' as it were, is small potatoes compared to the fact that you are living your life and working out. Ironically, your post is very encouraging. As to the frustration... Give it more time and continue to evolve you fitness regiment. There is always going to be e need for some tweaking here and there but instead of speculating as to the problem you would be better served if you spoke with a fitness professional locally, so that he/she can interview you and ask you the appropriate questions.

Before I start you will have to pardon my ignorance on some of the key points in your situation and be aware that the only information I have on this is what you tell me. Also be aware that if I suggest anything you suspect could go against doctor's orders or present any risk don't do it or get guidance before you try it if you do.

Chemo fried your thyroid making you hypothyroid, I know how being hypothyroid affects you but not if this is reversable after chemo. In my ignorance I will be giving guidance that should kick your metabolism back in the right direction if not fully into gear as if that is possible. If it isn't some of what I say should still help.

Start with diet. Low carb goes against everything the human animal has spent 3.5 million years evolving toward, please stop it. The logic for cutting carbs is based on two truths, excess carbs can be converted to fat and excess sugar is bad for you. Excess protein will be converted to fat or ditched in urine, fat doesn't need to be converted and neither can be burned as energy without being converted to something else first. All sugars are carbs but not all carbs are sugars, when I said we have evolved for high carb diet this is high complex carbs aka starch, found in wheat products, rice, potatotoes and most vegetables. This make carbs the good guys as you can burn these without them going to fat and there's more benefit still. The body is not stupid and knows we are designed for high complex carb diet, as such it assesses energy intake and therefore available energy by the amount of carbs you are taking in, pretty smart really. If the amount drops so does your metabolism to ensure you don't spend energy you don't have, keeping the level sensible prevents this drop.
If you want to lose fat cut down not out unless you are eating a ton of sugar or lard every day. Keep a good overall balance and eat a bit less of all of it. Drastic changes rarely work unless your diet is a disaster zone.

Activity for fat loss. Your mixed apporach is a good one, cardio and weight/ resistance will give a nice balance and help you accomplish what you want. You will notice I say fat loss not weight loss. Muscle is heavy, because it's largely made of water, and fat is compartively light so you can gain muscle and weight while losing fat. The only way to know this for sure is MRI scan, closest most get is bodyfat scales but often the best guage is the mirror which is hard to use well.
5 times a week could mean you are overtraining, but without knowing your program I won't know as variance of sessions can make this fine.
Heavy vs light is genetically biased. The main reason weights help fat loss so well is by building muscle that burns energy even at rest. If you are genetically set for lighter work then doing this will activate more fibres and make them develop faster, if you are more built for power you need to go heavy to work with your body, there really is no one size fits all. If you are designed to be large built and don't want to activate the bulkier building white twitch fibres then you will have to accept your progress will be slower. In the same way I decided years ago to build up and go for power, totally against my genetics, I have done it but it took me far longer than those more gifted. Basic lesson, you can do what you want only time changes.
Balance is very key and easy to get wrong especially at the start. There are good programs here, one of the stickies on the weight loss area by goldfish is brilliant. He is very good at generic guidance and comes with a lot of real world knowledge.
Activity will increase your metabolism too so can counter hypothyroid as long as the damage isn't permanent. The true irony, burning more energy makes you more energetic.

Mental attitude is very key and hard as hell to maintain when things appear to be going against you. Metabolism drop also causes chemical deppression, not helpful in the least. What this means for you is a real tough ride and those saying otherwise can help your workout program if you give them a good solid slap, of course make sure you tell them it's not personal just part of your workout routine. You need to ignore the negative and push on with dropping food intake gradually and increasing activity, knowing that even when you start doing well your mind will likely say it's not enough and the physical depression you are experiencing will make you feel like quitting daily.
This isn't sugar coated, I don't do that. The good news is success will come if you perservere and if the thyoid damage is reversible you will fix it and over time will feel a lot better. As I do with anyone willing to work at it I hope you go for it and do really well, not good luck just well earned.

Keep on light weight and more reps!
Alternates days , one day cardio, another day strength training, because your muscles need to rest at least 24 hours

Yes it is Fact that you would be better offered if you discussed with a physical wellness and health and fitness and wellness professional domestically, so that he/she can conference you and ask you the appropriate issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should seek the professional advice of a SPORTS MEDICINE DOCTOR... surely if your thyroid was fried then your on medication for this. Seek professional help, no one here should be giving you advice without knowing the full extent of your medical situation.

Back