Weight-Loss Snacking Healthily

Weight-Loss

Eric Giannuzzi

One of the biggest reasons why I stopped going to the gym after it opened last July is because I thought there was no reason for me to go if I still eat like crap. Mostly, I have an issue with snacking. I don't really do much with my day and for the last few
months I've tried to buy Ritz or Vegetable crackers, or Ice-Cream or graham crackers or any type of snack I can buy in bulk and try to use them sparingly throughout the month. I think I spend $40 bucks on snacks now so I don't have to waste money throughout the entire month. What ends up happening? I eat all of it within a week. So, I don't trust myself with compulsive snacking. I'm tired of being over-weight. I bought a scale and I'm on day 1 of drinking only water. So apart from Soda cravings, I'm a little fidgety not having any sugar to snack on when I get peckish.

So I guess the two things I need to ask about are:

1. When I'm quitting snacking and soda, what do I do when I get the cravings? I got my bottled water here and I'm chugging it down 'cus I know water helps with cravings. But how is someone gonna get used to not grabbing onto a sugary snack and wasting money on them like I did? I'm done wasting money when I know it'll be gone in a week and I'll only feel more shameful.

2. What are some good alternatives? Right now I got Ritz crackers and I put some cheese on it. It does the job, I guess, but maybe Banana and Peanut Butter as someone from another question I asked on this forum suggested. Something that's quick to make and will satisfy my cravings and leave me with no want for sugar. 'Cus Water has no flavour and I can't stand bland water. Not even the flavoring you stir into water does much.

Bonus question:
How hard will it be to quit Soda? 'Cus this is only day 1 and it's a slight inconvenience. I can't even imagine 2 weeks into it.

I understand exactly how it's possible to eat a month's worth of snacks in a week. I haven't done that but if I buy a small bag of soy crisps with several servings in it you know I will eat the whole bag! Decades ago there was some weight loss candy that you were supposed to eat one a day of and it would enable you to control your appetite and I quickly polished off the whole box.

It would be healthier to switch to a whole foods alternative to ritz crackers such as the soy crisps I mentioned or triscuits. Of course even better would be snacking on fruit or vegetables - which are very tasty with hummus (although I eat too much of that too!)

Try adding half a lemon to a cup of water. It's not too tart. But if you want a no cal lemonade you can add a packet of stevia sweetener. I think I'll have that today!

Hi Eric, do you like pecans? They're my favorite right now and they're loaded with protein. For some reason, I crave them and they are like candy to me. I do know you shouldn't eat too many of them though because they are a little fatty.

Try adding more good fats to your main meals. That should reduce your "need" for snacking.

Add some Himalayan salt to your water (a small pinch) and lemon. You may be missing high quality salt.

Have a few macadamias, almonds, and walnuts. Stay away from crackers which are high-carb and trigger hunger responses in the body. The opposit of what you want!

Back