Short or long intervals?????

I´m currently doing 20 mins HIIT sessions 3 or 5 times a week: 1min really fast or OMG mode :eek: and 1:30mins with a 50% rate.

Will be better to make shorter intervals or just make the slow interval shorter (1min)? :rolleyes:

great question!
while normally Iwould tell someone to mix up changing all 3 variables (increase work period, decrease rest period, increase # of intervals), I wouldnt increase the work interval past 1 minute. 1 minute is probably the max I would suggest, because the work isnt really maximal anymore (even though you are in OMG mode) :)
First thing, shorten the rest interval to make it a 1:1 work to rest.
Then, after a month or so of that, go back to 15-45 seconds at 100%+of MHR, maybe on a different piece of equipment, recovery period as needed, and add more intervals.

**all based on medical clearance, of course!

Excellent answer Gymcoch, thanks so much for your help!!!

Today I switched to 1:1 and after 15 mins I really felt the difference ;)

One more question do you think HIIT can have the exactly same results if I do it after weight trainning (1 hour really hard) as if I do it first thing in the morning????

no...but only because after a tough lifting session, you wont have the energy to go as hard as you should during a HIIT session.

there is actually research supporting shorter intervals to be better, something like 15 to 30 seconds. personally i believe in mixing it up so your body doesnt adapt.

correct! Again, due to the fact that it becomes less than 100+% MAX the longer you go!

Back