Shin (area) pain

For about two weeks now I have had soreness and pain to the touch on my lower leg, next to the shin bone. If I apply pressure on the shin itself, no pain. If I apply pressure next to the shin (towards inner of leg), I feel pain. I can feel it when I jog on the treadmill but not too much when I walk. The only time I feel pain is basically when I apply pressure. I do feel a bump next to the shin bone, it may even be "attached" to the shin bone for all I know because it is that close to it. But the surrounding area of the bump is sore like a bruise.
I have never had any medical problems in my life. My co-worker tried explaining what it was like having shin splints and I dont think I have that. Anyone have ANY clue what it might be?

Why is it high impact 'especially' because its on a treadmill? You mean, as opposed to running on dirt?

Well, I would love to run outside but I get up at 4:00am and its still dark outside and I think its unsafe to run alone that early in the morning in public. Too bad because it would be much more fun!

Yea, I was hoping to steer clear of numbnut doctors. I work in the medical field so I am very weary of doctors now. BLAH!

Thanks for the advise, I might go cut my leg off now. :p

Why is it high impact 'especially' because its on a treadmill? You mean, as opposed to running on dirt?

I think most people (myself included) tend to run a little more heel-toe on a treadmill. you have to push off a little more when running on the ground, which puts you towards your toes. This absorbs some of the impact...

Watch barefoot runners, their heels barely touch the ground when they run. Most of the impact from running is from your heel hitting the ground.

Jeez, isnt that weird to do? Is it hard breaking the habit? hhhmmmm, will have to focus on that tomorrow morning. So maybe I should set it at a little incline to help me not hit the heels so much.
Thanks for the tip!

Well, I would love to run outside but I get up at 4:00am and its still dark outside and I think its unsafe to run alone that early in the morning in public. Too bad because it would be much more fun!

i use a head light when running after dark, make sure you buy a light weight one and wear a light reflective jacket when you're running should be no prob:cool:

Just to say....shin splints are not suppose to have bumps. But that is only what I was told. I was also told possible bone spur. But I have rested the last few days and it has gone away in any case, so I am good at least for now.

Back