Seeking meal advice

sillygoof

This seemed the best place to post? I'm working on losing weight and I've found some meals I like that fit into my deficit. But I wonder if they are unhealthy and might cause more harm than good?

For breakfast I have two slices of toast (Low-cal bread) with avocado spread on top and a fried egg on each. (about 400 cals)

Lunch is either a smoothie with greek yogurt, banana, frozen fruit, fresh kiwi, and a little maple syrup and almond milk (about 300 cal), or a sandwhich (same bread as before) with deli sliced turkey and a Laughing Cow cheese wedge. Usually with an apple or something. (about 200 cal)

Dinner is always a low-cal tortilla with grassfed ground beef, some black beans, and a little sharp cheddar metled on top. (300-370 cal)

I almost always have dessert. Mostly low cal ice cream, or a regular sweet thing, like a cookie. Lately it's been one of those frosted lofthouse cookies.

Extra things include if I make a coffee or have a lolipop or a ginger chew. Those are far from staples though.

I worry about things like seed oils in the bread or tortilla, and any refined carbs. I've heard the carbs might cause me to retain weight even if i'm in a deficit. Is this true? Should I change anything or working anything in?

Hi SG and welcome to the forum! I think your meals don't look bad at all but I do miss vegetables. Seed oils won't keep you from losing weight unless you ingest too many calories from them and unless you're insulin resistant or something (diagnosed by a real doctor, not a stranger on the internet) the same is true for simple carbs. A wheat tortilla is 100% healthier than diet icecream or cookies - unless you're allergic to wheat or have celiac's - but there's nothing wrong with having treats, as long as you can work them into your calorie budget and still have enough room for real meals. People make weightloss too complicated. The only magic is in finding lower-calorie meals/snacks you like enough to stay in a calorie deficit.

Hi SG and welcome to the forum! I think your meals don't look bad at all but I do miss vegetables. Seed oils won't keep you from losing weight unless you ingest too many calories from them and unless you're insulin resistant or something (diagnosed by a real doctor, not a stranger on the internet) the same is true for simple carbs. A wheat tortilla is 100% healthier than diet icecream or cookies - unless you're allergic to wheat or have celiac's - but there's nothing wrong with having treats, as long as you can work them into your calorie budget and still have enough room for real meals. People make weightloss too complicated. The only magic is in finding lower-calorie meals/snacks you like enough to stay in a calorie deficit.
That's really helpful, thanks a bunch! : o )

Back