Schwinn 418

Has anyone had any experience with this model...or the brand? I'm looking to pick-up an elliptical for an extra room in my apartment. I realize that the gym-grade brands like Precor and Life Fitness would be the ideal way to go, but I just don't have that kind of cash to spend at the moment. I'm looking to keep the cost at or below $1000, which means my options are limited to basically ICON-made products.

My disclaimer...if you're just going to tell me to "just join a gym, just run outside or some sort of comment, please don't bother. Without explaining my situation further, buying myself a piece of equipment for use at home is my best option.

The Schwinn 418 is a very nice piece of equipment. Well worth the money.

This Horizon is also highly rated.

This NordicTrack is in your price range and is also a great piece of gear.

Last edited:
The NordicTrack CX 1055 is similar in price to the AudioStrider 800. Are they similar pieces of equipment?

The CX 1055 doesn't fold and is heavier. I have never tried the AutoStrider. It looks much too gimmicky to me, and I don't like equipment that folds. It never seems as sturdy or durable as a fixed piece. The CX1055 is a solid piece of gear . It is a knock off of the Precor EFX576i which is over $5000 and arguably the best elliptical on the market. If you have a Sears by you, they may have the NordicTrack, Schwinn and Horizon to try. (They have them on their website.) If you buy from Sears and don't like it, you can take it back, no questions asked.

I bought the Schwinn 430 from Amazon.com. Shipping was free so the cost was $599.

You have to assemble the machine: base, arms, legs, etc. Set up was easy and took about 2.5 hours.

The 430's advantage is the small foot print compared to the commercial types and the higher level Schwinns.

Motion is smooth and quiet. No instability or rocking when riding the elliptical. It has a circular 18" stride. It doesn't have a backlit display but that's minor. The foot pedal is hard plastic but it's stable and non-pliable. Heart rate is measured only on the stationary grip, not the moving handles.

It's a solid, quiet machine for the price and I have no regrets.

Back