Saunas at the gym

Just wondering what else people have heard about wet saunas and dry saunas. I have one at the gym that I use and was wondering what the benefits are to using one.

Ive come to understand it helps a whole lot with my skin getting softer, and somewhat with water weight, any other benefits?

Dry saunas have an advantage over steam rooms by helping to rid the body of more toxic metals picked up from the environment.

The sauna is also more beneficial than the steam room if weight loss is desired because the energy expenditure. Compared to the steam room, the sauna places a greater demand on the body in terms of using up calories, thus assists in fat loss. Therefore, the heart needs to work harder to send more blood to the capillaries under the skin. The energy required for that process is derived from the conversion of fat and carbohydrates to calories,

In addition, the sweat glands must work to produce sweat, which also requires energy and more calories. Studies show a person can burn up to 300 calories during a sauna session, the equivalent of a two-to-three-mile jog or an hour of moderate weight training. :)

Well, I have to use the wet sauna. Anything really good about it?
Its easier to breath in there, compared to the dry sauna. :)

Well I see saunas very beneficial. I remember being at a hotel where they had one and I would work out after dinner and go to a sauna. The sauna helped to relieve any muscle pains I had from work out...that vacations was perfect. :)

Google it! You'll be amazed how good a dry Sauna is for you. Not sure about the "wet" type but I guess it's better than nothing. I love the dry Sauna!!

Im with Brandibeth. I dont like that dry air in there. I feel like I might burn my eyebrows off.

But I like the steam room every once in a while. As long as the women who like to let it all hang out don't come in there and snuggle up next to me.

...As long as the women who like to let it all hang out don't come in there and snuggle up next to me.

I don't see a problem with that one! :beerchug:

Anyway, if you get wet before you go into the dry sauna it's much better. Never go in dry because it does feel too harsh. I take a shower and go in soaking wet, in a pair of wet trunks. MUCH nicer! And NO, your eyebrows won't burn off. LOL!! Give it a chance! Too many people give up after 30 seconds cause they don't understand it. I was the same way trust me. ;)

Definetely the wet sauna, feels much nicer. I get bored too easily in the dry sauna.[/QUOTE

lol!

I am refrainign myself

Even thoughthis is an old thread--- I like the dry sauna because I do not have to deal with the chlorine of a wet sauna.

no dry skin issues

and the dry sauna is waaaaaay more intense!

Back