Running after hip replacement.

Approximately four years ago I had a full hip replacement at the young age of 40. I have been a runner since jr. high and this was always my exercise of choice. Of course, the 1st thing they tell you before and after the surgery is your days of running are over and try to keep your weight down. After my surgery I used a recumbant bike for rehab, however I found this very boring. I started walking 5-6 miles a day and lost 25 lbs, but don't get the same results or get that runner's high. Last summer I had a recheck and everything looked great. After that I started doing some light jogging which has lead up to running 5-6 days a week for the last 8 months. Since that time I have lost an additional 25 lbs which for me is good. I am 5'9, 140 lbs.

I feel great, however deep down I worry about what damage I am causing to my new hip. Has anyone else out there had anything similar or know of anyone who still runs after having hip or knee replacement??? I am hooked on running again and try to run between 5-6 miles a day.

Any suggestions or imput???

Plz don't burst my bubble with everything negative....I get that from my husband who really means well.

I feel for you

Gimpy, I feel for you. I really do. I love to run myself. You need to go with your doctors advice. Maybe even switch doctors and ask a new one. But dont take the forums advice over that of a medical professional. You're too young to blow that hip out permanently.

Welcome Gimpy. Have you considered a different activity/sport that is not so hard on your hip? Have you considered bike riding / racing?

I live in Michigan so the weather is only good for biking a few months out of the year. My husband cycles and I tried it a few times last summer, but that actually bothered my leg and tailbone.

I realize I can always continue walking.....I just like the benefits from running and it takes much less time. In January I started incorporating some weight training 2-3 times a week to tone up.

I was hoping that there was someone else out there that may have a similar situtation. More than likely they do what the doctor ordered.

Thanks for your response.

I live in Michigan so the weather is only good for biking a few months out of the year. My husband cycles and I tried it a few times last summer, but that actually bothered my leg and tailbone.

I realize I can always continue walking.....I just like the benefits from running and it takes much less time. In January I started incorporating some weight training 2-3 times a week to tone up.

I was hoping that there was someone else out there that may have a similar situtation. More than likely they do what the doctor ordered.

Thanks for your response.

Gimpy, I had open heart surgery to replace my aorta last April and did a Half Ironman on the first anniversary. I am upfront with my cardiologist as to what my goals are. I think most doctors recognize the mental health aspect of rehabilitation and are amenable to trying to become "normal" within the confines of sound medicine. Talk to your orthopedist and tell him/her about your desires to resume running. You might even want to get a second opinion on this as there are as many opinions as there are doctors.

I would limit the amount of running if possible, it will just accelarate the wear & tear of the joint. Im sure there's something you can find that isn't boring, and if not, to find ways of making boring things not sor boring.

my dad got a hip replacement at 35 years old, and through that he gained a lot of weight because he was less active.
He got high blood pressure and high cholesterol and was overweight.
His doctor told him not to run, and so he took up biking.

He bikes almost everyday for 45 minutes to an hour, he has literally shed weight and has no problems at all with his blood pressure or cholesterol. he is in top notch shape and his doctor is amazed..
he has not changed his diet much and enjoys his beer and cigars ha ha, but he bikes every single day, or almost.. and he loves it

you should take up cycling, because you can pop your hip again if u run

Gimpy, sorry to hear your dilemma. I'm going through the same thing. Today is my one year anniversary since having a total hip replacement. My orthopedist recommended that I do not run or do any high impact activity that would shorten the life of my new joint. He told me that my new joint is good for 30+ years if I take care of it. I was a marathon runner for 30 years. I haven't run since my surgery. :( Cycling's okay, but not the same. When I see runners I become envious and depressed. I've been tempted to try light running but know I would take it too far (literally and figuratively). I continue to ask around for second, third... opinions but get the same reply: NO running!!! Sorry I couldn't come up with more encouraging news. Commiseration will have to do for now. Johnpaul

Gimpy,
I have not yet had the hip replacement, and I have delayed the operation because I am aware that it means an end to ever hoping to run again.
Nearly all modern hip replacements use a plastic acetabulum liner, and this liner has a limited life based on wear and fatigue. The fatigue life in particular is greatly shortened due to high impact , such as jogging, jumping, and being overweight. In enineering, a common estimate for fatigue life is that if you double the stress imposed per cycle, the fatigue life is reduced by a factor of 20 !!!. So, if you ignore this advice, you will likely need to replace the liner sooner than the estimated 20 yr life some physicians sugggest is likely if you don't jog. Also, separate from the liner issue, the manner in which the femoral stem implant is mounted on the femur invites damage to the femur if you undergoe high impact sports, and cracking the femur involves a major revision.

Maybe a better plastic liner will be invented , and that liner plus a mini hip that conserves the stem may allow jogging for light persons that run barefoot on the beach, but other than that, cycling and X country skiing may be the practical limit.

Gimpy,
I have not yet had the hip replacement, and I have delayed the operation because I am aware that it means an end to ever hoping to run again.
Nearly all modern hip replacements use a plastic acetabulum liner, and this liner has a limited life based on wear and fatigue. The fatigue life in particular is greatly shortened due to high impact , such as jogging, jumping, and being overweight. In enineering, a common estimate for fatigue life is that if you double the stress imposed per cycle, the fatigue life is reduced by a factor of 20 !!!. So, if you ignore this advice, you will likely need to replace the liner sooner than the estimated 20 yr life some physicians sugggest is likely if you don't jog. Also, separate from the liner issue, the manner in which the femoral stem implant is mounted on the femur invites damage to the femur if you undergoe high impact sports, and cracking the femur involves a major revision.

Maybe a better plastic liner will be invented , and that liner plus a mini hip that conserves the stem may allow jogging for light persons that run barefoot on the beach, but other than that, cycling and X country skiing may be the practical limit.

The Replacement Hips Are Now Titanium As I Have Had A Total Hip Replacement At The Age Of 22Yrs I Had A Part Hip Replacement At The Age Of 11yrs Old And I Was The Youngest Child To Have One Done I Want To Ride From Brighton To Dover Its 84.3 Miles Will I Be Able To Ride That As I Dont Wanna Put My Hip Out Of Place

Hip replaced at 20 years old. Used to run everday-my only therapy to dealing w life

I know exactly how you feel bc It was my dream to be a olympic champion. I was seriously into track and field and as my pian got worse I had to stop running and then eventually had my hip replaced after trying everything else. Young I know, and dreams destroyed. Started drinking and doing drugs for years to numb the pain and mask my depression. Now I am sober again, and lost weight and all I want is to run and do races and train for competitions but Im scared to have to get another surgery and be in pain again. But hate tread mills love being outside and listening to music. May take up bicycling again. Not sure what else to do. I wish everyone the best of luck!

4 years ago I had both hips replaced 7 weeks apart, my Dr. was fine with me running again so 6 weeks after my second hip I started running. It wasn't easy but I stuck with it and last year I was able to run the Twincities Marathon. Now I run 6 miles three days a week and it's like I never had arithritis. So Gimpy Keep running!

4 years ago I had both hips replaced 7 weeks apart, my Dr. was fine with me running again so 6 weeks after my second hip I started running. It wasn't easy but I stuck with it and last year I was able to run the Twincities Marathon. Now I run 6 miles three days a week and it's like I never had arithritis. So Gimpy Keep running!

Hi stillRunning. I am 48 year old male and considering MIS-2 Incision or hip resurfacing in the Twin Cities. Can you share who performed your surgery? Thanks!

Wow, this scares me.

Hi stillRunning. I am 48 year old male and considering MIS-2 Incision or hip resurfacing in the Twin Cities. Can you share who performed your surgery? Thanks!

Wow, I've just begun researching my ability to continue working out and running after a hip replacement because I fear I am getting close to needing mine done. I love working out and will not give it up now that i ve gotten myself in decent shape this past year, but I have more work to do (about 20 more lbs.). My hip hurts 75 % of the tim and I am petrified to have the surgury but I see there are many you active people that have already done this and can continue to be active. Any words of advice about when to do the surgery...or if to do the surgery. I am 57 and I have lost 30 lbs working with a personal trainr and I love the challenge of being pushed beyond my comfort zone and succeeding at it. I don't ever want to quit working out thus my fear of the surgery. I have arthritis and bone spurs that limit my range of motion. Dr.told me I needed one about 2 years ago and that I would know when it was time. I get so scared to think about it....please help educate me. I have been doing some running but nothing like any of you.

Gimpy, if you love to run then you love to run - I would try keep the glutes and abs balanced, ITB band and leg muscles loose though. If you like I can send you a link of an article I wrote on this.
Regs, Jon

Wow, I've just begun researching my ability to continue working out and running after a hip replacement because I fear I am getting close to needing mine done. I love working out and will not give it up now that i ve gotten myself in decent shape this past year, but I have more work to do (about 20 more lbs.). My hip hurts 75 % of the tim and I am petrified to have the surgury but I see there are many you active people that have already done this and can continue to be active. Any words of advice about when to do the surgery...or if to do the surgery. I am 57 and I have lost 30 lbs working with a personal trainr and I love the challenge of being pushed beyond my comfort zone and succeeding at it. I don't ever want to quit working out thus my fear of the surgery. I have arthritis and bone spurs that limit my range of motion. Dr.told me I needed one about 2 years ago and that I would know when it was time. I get so scared to think about it....please help educate me. I have been doing some running but nothing like any of you.

Hi gettingcloser, Finding the right Dr. is the most important thing. You should have the replacement when you can't do the things you want to do and don't be afraid. The better shape your in the faster your recovery. It took me three years to get back to what seems to be full strength.

THR vs Hip Resurfacing

People should be aware that there are basically 2 types of hip replacement surgeries, one that allows pounding exercises like running and one that doesn't. I've had both. For 12 years, I avoided a THR (total hip replacement) but a few months ago I ended up with one. Prior to that, for almost 7 years, I enjoyed a hip RESURFACING (the other type of hip surgery) that allowed me to do basically everything & anything I could do with a normal hip.

Unfortunately, I was one of the relatively few who ended up with a loose component that had to be replaced with a THR. Man, it was depressing. I could probably still run BUT I'll probably need a revision in 5 years - NOT the ideal situation. If you have had a THR (as opposed to a resurfacing), it's not a good idea to run. Better to take up cycling, x-country skiing, something that doesn't have that continuous pounding. Some people still play tennis and play hockey. I plan to stay active but without the running.

If you are anticipating hip surgery, check out resurfacing FIRST (after a THR, it's too late). There is a terrific board you can join & get lots of advice and help. Check . Even though mine didn't work out, I still recommend resurfacing if you are an active person.

Back