Rob's Reboot

Hey, Rob :D

Excellent! I'm glad you have found what suits you.
The forum was down for a couple of weeks but has come back even better I think. We have more smilies too:smilielol5:
Ahh, hey, Cate! Good to see you. 😄 How are you and how's your dog doing?

This level of weight loss was incomprehensible to me even just last year. I've lost over 160 pounds from my max weight of 330 pounds in 2018. The WFPB diet dramatically lowered my resting heart rate and supposedly, from what I've heard and read about, inflammation. Apparently, even removing the fish will result in further improvement. One thing I've very noticeably realized is the benefit of soluble fiber on satiety. I dropped 31 pounds in 44 days. My RHR dropped by about 10 bpm. I did have initial water weight that was part of that 31 pounds. I feel great too mood-wise and self-esteem. I have a layer of fat on my belly area still along with loose skin. The skin is fine but I wonder about the layer of belly fat. Probably not going to get rid of it with diet alone.

Resistance training, the "right way" I might add, will be an undertaking. My goal is to improve and maintain my health over the very long-term. I.e., the rest of my life. I also aim to improve joint health and core and back stability and flexibility.

My dog Cam is doing well. She's a wonderful companion, loves people and other dogs.

Hi Rob! Glad for the update. Sounds like you are doing well.

Rob, what you have done is quite amazing. My little dog, Archie is such a joy. He's very sociable too. When other dogs bark at him he never barks back, which I like & he usually wins them over. I'm doing well thanks.

Great to hear from you, Rob! How wonderful that you're doing so well. Removing fish as well probably wouldn't make a big difference unless you're eating huge amounts of it right now or are going for mostly canned/smoked/otherwise processed, which I suppose isn't the case. Law of diminishing returns and all that. But I'm convinced that eating mostly whole plants is a very healthy thing for most people.

Good to see you, Vic! Glad to hear Archie is a joy, Cate. Sounds like he's got a good demeanor. Cam is very similar. My world has opened up because of her. She breaks the ice with people and children.

Great to hear from you, Rob! How wonderful that you're doing so well. Removing fish as well probably wouldn't make a big difference unless you're eating huge amounts of it right now or are going for mostly canned/smoked/otherwise processed, which I suppose isn't the case. Law of diminishing returns and all that. But I'm convinced that eating mostly whole plants is a very healthy thing for most people.

Thanks for your opinion, LaMa. The evidence I’ve seen shows removing fish will improve health in ways I’d like to improve mine but I agree, it’s less clear by how much overall. It’s not a matter of diminishing returns, at least not for me. More a matter of lack of clear evidence.

It's incredible the difference having a dog makes. Strangers stop & talk to me all the time. They often want to take him home :)

I'm becoming more and more convinced that it's best to let go of all meat including fish and replace it with mostly dark leafy greens and vegetables. It looks like epidemiologic evidence supports this but there's just not as much RCT clinical evidence yet. I have quite a few cans of sardines left I don't want to throw out so I'll eat the rest of those but I'm otherwise on my way.

Another thing I've started to experiment with is intermittent fasting. I've most often done 15 hours of fasting with a 9 hour eating window and a run at the end of the fasting period. It seems to help keep me leaner. Overall though, I wonder if it's just because it helps keep my total calories lower. A water fasting day or two every week to two weeks seems like a good idea to help reduce inflammation and "reset" things a little. I haven't gone there yet and may not because of my history of binge eating. I don't want to trigger that kind of thing again.

I was at 168 this morning. At one point I was down to 159. That seems really low mostly because I'm not used to feeling that thin nor am I used to seeing myself that thin but my numbers have never been better and objectively, I feel great when I'm thinner. I don't think I'm the type to go too low but I am obsessive to an unhealthy extent. I'm healing from that though. I want to be healthy.

I eat about 2700 calories, mostly beans, leafy greens, veggies, fruit, some nuts and seeds, tofu and some whole grains. My diet is basically WFPB-SOS.

Fitness-wise, I'm slowly integrating more resistance training exercises and have focused initially on my core. I run 3-4 miles 4-5 times a week and and play pickleball for a few hours 1 day a week.

Hey Rob, good to hear from you. I´m glad you´re mindful of not getting obsessive. Too much of anything isn´t great, even if the thing itself is healthy.

Wow, Rob. You are doing incredibly well. It's really good to be aware of obsessive tendencies & to keep them in check. You must be at a very healthy weight now. I love that you're so active. I had to look up pickleball. Sounds like fun :)

pickleball
Cate, I cannot recommend pickleball enough. It's a fantastic sport. It is becoming increasingly popular here in the U.S. It's a combination of badminton, ping-pong, and tennis. It's usually played in pairs and play is up close most of the time. It's a social game and can be easily picked up but it can also be quite technical. There's a lot of lateral movement. It's great for increasing stability, balance, hand/eye coordination, and reaction time. I play with a lot of people who are in their retirement years. There's one club player in their 90s. I'm looking at developing my play over the long-term and developing good friendships and connections as a part of the sport. And you don't have to spend very much money at all to play.

Last edited:
Pickleball really does sound like fun. I don't think it's played here. I just looked it up & it is played in Hobart. I have to be careful not to twist my knee. You sound quite excited about it. Team sport is so good.

Hi, Rob. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas & are enjoying the new, fit & slim you. Please drop in every now & then to let us know how you're going. I hope 2022 is a good year for you. Are you the pickleball champ yet?

Back