Relation between sleeping and weight loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantishugo

Hello everybody,

I came across a health fact on the internet that claims that lack of sleep cause weight gain. It increases the weight within a week by 0.9 KG (2 pounds). How far is it true?

Wow. That sucks. I keep waking up early while it's still dark, & I can't go back to sleep. Guess I have to lose that much extra weight as well.

Well, I wouldn't have believed it if you hadn't shared those research links. Thanks
Trusylver. Guess, that's why I'm getting fat due to lack of sleep. Now I need to change my time table and get some proper sleep.

This is true.

Lack of sleep affects different appetite hormones such as ghrelin, which can cause you to eat more.

Also, if you aren't sleeping enough, you're probably not as motivated to exercise or find the energy to eat healthy meals.

Sleep is just as important and exercise and diet when it comes to a healthy lifestyle change!

Ravleen

I have been trying my best to get proper sleep but because of my business work I am not able to sleep for more than 6 hours a day. It is very bad for health that I'm not getting enough sleep.

I don't think it's a fact. I only get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night but I am able to lose weight.
When I used to get more sleep I still had a weight problem

The Scientific studies above provide proof that lack of sleep affects weight loss, remember correlation is not causation especially in a n-1 study on yourself.

From what I understand, when you dont sleep your body requires more energy from food to function properly since it has no time to rest. As a result, overeating becomes much easier when you dont get enough sleep

Hello everybody,

I came across a health fact on the internet that claims that lack of sleep cause weight gain. It increases the weight within a week by 0.9 KG (2 pounds). How far is it true?
I've heard we are supposed to sleep on a regular schedule of be in bed by 10pm at the latest and up at 8am. its just how we are built

Yes, if you don't get enough sleep, which I know is difficult for almost everyone these days, you will be more tired. Your body will need energy and signal that it is hungry in order to get it.

For a healthy body minimum 8 hours of sleep is necessary. As lack of sleep increases levels of the stress hormone in your body and increases your appetite. Constituently you gain weight.

It might be.

Research suggests an association between sleep restriction and negative changes in metabolism. In adults, sleeping four hours a night, compared with 10 hours a night, appears to increase hunger and appetite — in particular for calorie-dense foods high in carbohydrates. Observational studies also suggest a link between sleep restriction and obesity. Other studies have found similar patterns in children and adolescents.

One explanation might be that sleep duration affects hormones regulating hunger — ghrelin and leptin. Another contributing factor might be that lack of sleep leads to fatigue and results in less physical activity.

So now you have another reason to get a good night's sleep.

- Katherine Zeratsky

Yes its true,
When we’re lacking in sleep, our body’s hormones get thrown off balance which can impact our hunger levels the next day,the recommended sleeping hours is 6 to 8 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back