Recently Diagnosed!

Stephen Lopez

Well, I have been diagnosed with Diabetes Type-II a week ago, and the doctor says that it is hereditary (just because my father had it). However, I'm a fit person and really take care of my health and exercise at least 5 days a week. However, I can't do anything about it. So, can you people suggest me some good ways to cope up with my condition?

A keto style way of eating is very good for dealing with type 2 diabetes, and the diet recommended to diabetic patients by an endocrinologist I saw recently.

What does your diet currently look like ?

Well, I haven't figured out my diet right now and right now I'm focusing on eating fruits and vegetables only. I haven't even eaten a burger since my diagnosis. Earlier, my diet was high in carbs as all I was focussing on was to get a bigger physique. But right now I've totally given up on carbs. I don't know how can I cope up with diabetes because every time I see tasty food, all I want is to clean the plate with my tongue. I seriously need some advice to cope up with this condition!

Eating a lot of fruit is not great for diabetes, most fruit has a lot of sugar and will spike your blood sugar a lot, but that does not mean you have to give up carbs completely, take a look at the Glycemic Index, foods with a low GI rating will not spike your blood sugars in the same way a high GI food will. Vegetables are good as are the usual forms of protein.

My father is overweight and having diabetes and i am also on the same boat. But still i am working hard to get lose weight by healthy eating and also control the body weight.

Take your time and devote sometime having a look around for help. Have you checked with your doctor if they offer a nutritionist or if not offer one that they could hand your details to one or one that you can contact. The problem with health related issues is that as a trainer or just a new gym goer it is beyond our scope to give out any advice.

I am also on the same boat. Detected with early diabetes, type II, 6 years ago. A problem with early age detection is that it is usually not due to some specific symptoms and so, even after detection, you tend to be not so serious about your condition. At times, you try searching for topics over the Internet, such as diabetes types, risk factors, causes, prevention and more, so as to satisfy the diabetic in you that yes, you are a bit concerned about your condition and working towards bringing some positive changes in your life to combat this chronic disease. But, in real-world situations, this only remains up till research without moving an inch further when it comes to implementing all those suggested changes in your life.

Until now, I was on medication only, but these have side effects and I do understand the bitter truth that managing the condition naturally is always a better choice, even for today and also, in the long run. However, due to a hectic schedule, I couldn't able to manage my diabetes very effectively and mostly rely on medicines. Of late, I have also consulted by diabetologist and he also suggested the same to me that it is better to control your blood sugar levels naturally; either by exercise or making changes in your diet, or even going for natural supplements. The last one seems a bit striking to me, and found a wonderful piece of information related to that, which led me to search over the Internet about popular, effective or easily available natural remedies for diabetes. A few of these I have recently bought and started using them daily. Within a week, I found not-that-impressive, but detectable results in with respect to my blood sugar level (monitored twice a week with glucometer) despite my very same sedentary lifestyle.

Now, I realize that medication dependency can be easily broken down, and with a little physical activity, dietary modifications and if all these are not enough, some good supplements can make significant difference.

Let me know if you have something to add to this or think differently!

Back