Weight-Loss Question after seeing my Dr.

Weight-Loss

crazybob

12 months ago I was about 423 pounds. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, and a few different lower GI issues needing surgery. Decided with the Dr. to put off surgery as long as I was actively losing weight.

Did a huge diet change to...
Breakfast was oatmeal and fresh berries.
Lunch was soup. What every they have at work or from a can at home.
Dinner was Rabbit with grilled or roasted vegetables.
All day snack on sliced peppers, grapes, bananas, and a 2 oz of nuts.

We do not go out to eat often.
I also exercise, but not nearly like I should be.

The first 9 weeks I lost about 18 pounds 9 weeks.
Week 10 got sick and ended up in the hospital. Had my appendix, gallbladder, about half my large intestine, and a 26" of small intestine removed. Gained 3 pounds.
Week 11 went back on my diet, but had to drink a protean drink 2 times a day. Gained 1 pound.
Week 12 to 17 off work and walked 8+ miles a day. Lost about 26 pounds in 5 weeks.
Week 17 to 24. Lost about 21 pounds in 7 weeks.
week 25 to current. Lost about 46 pounds 23 weeks.

So far I'm down 107 pounds. Currently 316 pounds. I no longer have high cholesterol, A1C was 4.9 7 weeks ago, and on the lowest blood presser med.

I went to the Dr. today asking about getting off my BP med. She flipped out when she saw the 107 pounds of weight loss in a year... After looking back at blood work from 7 weeks ago comparing it to 14 months ago she calmed down. She ordered a full round of blood work.
We talked about what I was eating to loss weight and she freaked out that most of my protein comes from rabbit (protein poisoning).
I know protein poisoning from eating rabbit without fats and carbs, but they are included into my diet.

Dose anyone see any huge issues in my diet or the amount of weight I have lost?
No I have not weight out how much I eat and don't want to as longs as I feel good, blood work is good, and I loss weight.

Thanks Bob

Hey CB, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the weight loss, 107 lbs down is great!

I am certainly no expert, and know nothing about rabbit or protein poisoning (never heard of it actually), but I would listen to my doctor. If you question what she says ask another doctor or nutritionist. That said your diet looks reasonable to me, others will chime in I am sure.

What is your goal weight, and do you have a plan to lose the rest?

Very few people understand the truth about protein poisoning from rabbits. I think most Dr. just heard the urban legend about it and never looked into it. I have done a lot of reading on it, but there is not a lot out there to read as there have not been many cases of it.

My end goal is to be healthy. I never came up with a number. When my weight loss slows down I cut back the amount of "snacks" I eat in a day.

You taught me something, I looked it up and sure enough protein poisoning or rabbit poisoning is real. It sounds more like a kind of malnutrition from eating only protein and little or no fat or carbs. Rabbit meat is apparently so lean that if you subsist only on rabbit your run the risk. It does give me the thought of trying rabbit occasionally, it must be a pretty low calorie meat.

CB, the way this place might be of help to you is if you started a diary on the Weight Loss Diary page (https://weight-loss.fitness.com/forums/weight-loss-diary.9/). Then you can tell folks here more about yourself and your goals. I am sure you would get useful feedback there.

My end goal is to be healthy. I never came up with a number.
That makes a lot of sense, I don't really have a goal weight either. What I am trying to do is to figure out how I can live my life in a more healthy way. If I can do that I know the weight problem will solve itself.

Best of luck to you!

Well, that's fascinating! I'd never heard of "rabbit poisoning" before reading your posts - at first I thought it was something to do with myxamatosis!

But as to your question:
Dose anyone see any huge issues in my diet or the amount of weight I have lost?
No, I don't. Bringing your weight down from 423 to 316 is terrific, and must be easing the strain on your whole body - knees and hips, of course, but also internal organs. So that's one real positive! :hurray:
Second, your rate of weight loss is bang on where it ought to be, to let your body (and mind and habits!) gradually adjust to the shifting situation. So that's another positive.
Further than that, I can't say; I don't have expertise in nutrition. Maybe you could vary the protein a bit - just out of curiosity, can I ask why you choose to eat rabbit so much?

Hi, Bob. I had never heard of rabbit poisoning or protein poisoning but just looked it up. It looks to me that if you were eating rabbit only & absolutely nothing else, then there may be a problem as you would not be getting the right balance of nutrients. But you are not. Your diet looked very balanced to me. You could add some olive oil to your baked veggies & a little avocado for some healthy fat. I think losing the amount of weight that you have in one year is to be cheered! Well done!

Rabbit starvation (protein poisoning) was really only a thing for those who only ate rabbit, generally fur trappers.

That is why I called it more or less an urban legend. It's the only reason I eat 2 oz of nuts every day is for the fat in it.

I'll think about starting a Weight Loss Diary page soon.

Why rabbit? I live on a small homestead and we try to raise all our own food. We used to raise 2 pigs, 4 to 6 chickens for eggs, about 500 meat chickens, and a cow every year. We would give some eggs, pork, and part of the cow away every year to family. We had started raising rabbits, but not go into production with them till I found out I needed surgery. With a good setup rabbits are the cheapest, easiest to raise, and it's good for you compared to other meat. Were still raising a pig this year and have 5 egg chickens.

25% weight loss is good for a start. what i would be most concerned with is how your diet effected your basal metabolic rate (BMR... or RMR, resting metabolic rate... nearly the same thing). calorie restrictive diets can often lower your BMR to a point where your body gets used to the lower caloric intake and basically just slows down. you have more days when you feel tired or listless.

i might suggest taking a break at this point and see if you can maintain your current weight for a time while still keeping up a good exercise level. this is a good way to increase your BMR and prepare yourself for another round of weight loss. another 25% would put you below 250. good luck.

I know what your saying, but I not longer cave other foods, and a lot of stuff I used to like is a turn off.

This morning I cooked breakfast for everyone (as I do on my days off). I did omelets with peppers, onions, and Swiss cheese. Sausage patties and sourdough toast. I was OK, but took in to much grease without a gallbladder and paid for it around lunch. Taste wise it was OK, but at the same time I missed my normal meal.

I picked my diet of foods that had great flavor, that I loved to eat, and that work well with lower GI issues. The only thing I do crave is a good grass feed buffalo steak and not a beefalo steak that most people think is buffalo, but I have my order in and will pick it up on Monday.

I work in food service in a hospital. I work in an office printing all the paperwork that's needed to get the right food to the patients. Lots of phone work, lots of paper pushing, and lots of getting explaining to nurses how to write orders with our rules, and explaining to patients there diet. I'm more or less enemy number one by the end of the shift. We do 10 hour shifts...

I got 3 days off to buff my floors, a coat of tung oil, and a few other odds and ends.

I did have Labor day+2 days off and was going to move in to my new house, but that was cut short. I have 3 months to move. I'll do it one day.

Diet is good. I ended up cutting back to a banna or 1/2 cups of grapes every day. I only take my GI shot every 2 weeks and a few over the counter meds. I orded new pants at work today and my boss made me order new shirts. I have not had time to go to employee health to see how I'm doing in a few weeks. My Dr. wants a round of blood work and might do it first thing in the morning.

Hey C Bob, good to hear from you.

Your job sounds interesting, you probably have to know a bit about nutrition and diet planning for that.

Are you only eating a banana or a few grapes every other day? Or is that just a part of your diet?

What kind of floor do you use tung oil on? I have used it on unfinished wood to kind of finish it, but not on a floor.

I know a lot about different diets and biased off a diet more or less what you should or should not eat. I do a lot of work with the Dietitians and do a lot of the database work when we change menus.

I just cut back to 1 to 2 servings of fruit a day.

I have 3/4" t&g maple floors everywhere but the bathrooms. I have 8 coats of tung oil down. Its a bit darker than I wanted in the end, but I think it's what my wife wants. Between the hardness of maple and the tung oil it should be a easy floor to maintain and easy to repair for years.

My wife went furniture shopping today and picked out a bunch os stuff for me to go look at in the morning...

Hi, Bob. Happy wife, happy life?
She must be really looking forward to moving in.
It sounds like you have a crazy busy life. It's great that you do a lot of work with the dieticians & are able to implement that knowledge. I think I eat too much fruit, but I just love it.

To a large point happy wife happy life. I just want to get moved in with savings left for the next recession hits hard.

I'm to the point now that I feel that my blood sugar spikes to much when I eat fruit. I just have not decided that I'm done with fruit yet.

Yes I do have a good amount of knowledge of food, but at the same time all our stuff is biased off the information the government puts out for diets. I disagree with a lot of it.

Back