Question about stretching before dynamic warm up (Mike Boyle)

I have a question regarding the interview of cbathletics.com with Mike Boyle about the best way to warm up. He says that he foams roll, then stretches for tissue change, then does the dynamic warm up after. He says that if you want real flexibility change, don't warm up first because once the muscles get cold again after stretching warm (after workout), you lose the flexibility. I know that it is true because once my muscles are cold again, I lose the flexibility and its like I never even stretched. I have been doing PNF with my hip abductors lately (myself; don't need partner) and have been seeing big improvements in my flexibility. I do those stretching cold after foam rolling.

I know there is a big debate on this and all CSCS's, personal trainers, etc. are different on how they work with their athletes. I am starting to say that what Mike Boyle said in this interview is true as far as improving flexibility. I don't think its actually good to stretch cold right before a sports practice or whatever, but I think it may be okay in the weightroom. I cannot say for sure because I have not just stretched, did dynamic warm up, and then go work out or run or play softball yet. I don't want to risk injury or anything until hearing thoughs from you guys. I know its ok to stretch and then dynamic and mobility work I think.

What do you guys think?

Source: Strength Coach Interview: Mike Boyle - JP Fitness Forums - Personal Training

CB: Mike, what is the best way to warm-up?

MB:
We foam roll and static stretch for tissue change and then dynamic warm-up after. There is mounting evidence that if you want real flexibility change, don’t warm up first. We stretch for flexibility and use dynamic warm-up for warm-up. There is a place for static stretching, it just isn’t as a pre-exercise warm-up

Back