Question about hitting the gym and getting in good shape

Hi all,

I guess I don't want or I don't have to have a body of a bodybuilder or celebrity.

I just want to look good and be in good shape to achieve supreme confidence. I don't want to look lousy. This is one of my goals in life. Others is I want to have a good/attractive personality as I want to be successful in my social life and to women.

My question is:

Is it okay to hit the gym like twice a week inspite of my work schedule rotation? We change/rotate our work schedule every two weeks.

1st shift: 7AM-4PM
2nd shift: 1PM-10PM
3rd/Night shift: 10PM-7AM

Will I improve physically if I hit the gym even if I work in that 2-week schedule rotation?
My workmate told me that I won't and there's no way to succeed. Is he just a naysayer or what?

Train when you can. You will gain far more trainng twice a week than not at all. Personal experience says those who declare a situation useless are usually unhappy they don't have the commitment to do it.
There is no rule on how many times you must train to be fit. Obviously if you want to run a marathon and never run more than 3 miles twice a week you are dreaming but if you are happy being able to run 3 miles and gradually increase the distance to what ever you can do in the time it takes you to do 3 now it's good.

There are routines you can do in a twice a week split that will hit the whole body and give you a balanced fitness and aesthetic improvement. They won't be effective as fast as a 3 or 4 day a week system but you will have already guessed that and it will get you there.

There are some good routines on here post #38 on http://training.fitness.com/weight-...inefficient-split-maybe-read-first-34522.html by goldfish could be a great starting point for you as a generic intro to weight training. on a 2 day split. Remember to start steady when getting used to the movements, better to look roughly the same for a few months and get good technique than end up on crutches.
If you need guidance on any of the movements come back to us or google for some sensible looking techniques.

Back