Quads Burning Using Elliptical Machine

Shawn2

I am an overweight guy that spent 10 years sitting at my computer and was at 420 on June 3/16 and I am down to 358 as of today. I started going to the gym 2 weeks ago so I can work on my muscles as they are extremely weak. I have been using certain machines regularly like the Bike, Treadmill and upper body and some machines for my legs. Today I tried the elliptical and I was not on it for more than 10 seconds and my quads were burning so bad I had to stop. I tried it again a little while later and I stayed on it for 20 seconds but again my quads and even my lower legs were burning. My question is about what types of exercises can I do to strengthen those muscles? I would like to use this machine but 20 seconds is not very much.

Start on the treadmill walking for 10 minutes and slowly increase the speed, week by week. As a beginner at the gym, you really need to take it slow otherwise you will burn out too fast and have to stop going.

If you are doing weights, aim for 15-20 reps for most exercises. For the average person, high reps is better than low reps unless you are a competing athlete or body builder.

You will get there. Just takes time and patience.

Start on the treadmill walking for 10 minutes and slowly increase the speed, week by week. As a beginner at the gym, you really need to take it slow otherwise you will burn out too fast and have to stop going.

If you are doing weights, aim for 15-20 reps for most exercises. For the average person, high reps is better than low reps unless you are a competing athlete or body builder.

You will get there. Just takes time and patience.
Hi, Thanks for the reply, I usually do 3.5 miles on the bike, then 10 min on treadmill then I use the other machines for my arms, and back, plus I been using a machine that you pull a rope down over and over. I am able to walk further and stand longer than I could before and I know its going to take time. I also noticed my knees are awful weak. I tried doing kettlebells and wow did my knees hurt trying to bend down and push myself back up.

Kettle bells are a little advanced. I would stay away from those for now. Proper for is really important and I've seen a lot of fit people doing it wrong. Can cause all sorts of other problems in the back, knees, etc.

One of the biggest issues for everyone is the knees, but it's not just the strength but stability. Try standing on a BOSU or balance board for 30s every time you are at the gym. Slowly work up to 2m. From there, you can try balancing on 1 foot, do slow squats and even close your eyes. (not all at the same time -- just different ideas to increase the difficulty).

Back