Public Speaking

I hate public speaking, I dont know why. I dont care what others think, but when its that time, I get anxiety. Even such things as answering a question in class, heart starts beating fast. I know its common, and I want to conquer it. I plan on taking speaking classes in college, just to help with this. Anyone had and gotten over it?

I used to be the same way bro but i think it was because I USED to care about what others think.

If your taking any supplements that will raise your HR such as spike, ephedra, caffiene, etc....It may contribute to some anexiety that may result in you having a hard time speaking in front of people.

this is caused by nervousness, wind yourself up a bit before you go out and speak it pays off. people can tear you apart if they see your sh*tting a brickload. I bet you always manage to get the message across to someone when your angry dont you? like LV said who gives a f*ck what people think, tell them if they dont like it then F*ck off, take the Gordon Ramsay approach..:eek:

When you get up to speak, just keep thinking "I am smarter than everyone in this room, and they are just dying to hear what I have to say".

I know this thread is a month old but in case someone stumbles across it I thought I would put in my two cents worth. I find it helps if you select on person at a time to talk to. Keep moving and selecting other people so that one person does not think you are staring them down.:D

uhh..i tend to think this somewhat has to do with self esteem. not entirely but in a way..and thats something i am lacking greatly.. :(

densy88 said:
uhh..i tend to think this somewhat has to do with self esteem. not entirely but in a way..and thats something i am lacking greatly.. :(

Yeah, I definitaley agree with you. I think that self esteem is the main thing. When I was younger and a little bit chubby, I'd be like 'F***'. I would be afraid as anything, sweating, all red and thinking everyone is looking at my physical downfalls. But now that I lift and run, I am much more muscular skinny, much better looking ;), and I'm older, it's no problem for me.

I have a ton of friends in every one of my classes, so I just say 'they're all my friends, I don't really care if I suck up here' and usually I do great. Just think that they are all your friends. Or as LV said...don't care wtf they think, and you'll be great.

I find making some kind of quick joke (usually in relevance to the subject or public speaking) at the beginning of a speech lightens up the mood a little. It always works for me. It's a chance at a quick good first impression and it's all down hill from there.

I don't know about public speaking, but I'm pretty good a private speaking, as in, talking to myself. Yeah, I'm pretty darn good at that... Sorry, for hijacking your thread tony.... I talked myself into writing this .... :rolleyes:

I am very comfortable speaking in front of a group of people as along as I am well prepared! The times that I get nervous are when I am not sure of what i am saying or what questions may arrise. When you are as prepared as you can be and you are well practice, you will be much more comfortable speaking.

Thats my $.02

I get nervous still sometimes. I was a high school teacher for 4 years out of college and I did some adult training... which is similiar but alot easier because it is an interactive situation and you loosen up once you learn your crowd... But on occasion I have had to give a speach or do a reading (church services) and for those I would still get the jitters...

#1 if you take a beta-blocker that will make you calmer... and not get the jitters as bad... concert pianists and orchestra folks take them... they are on the banned substance list for archery and other aiming type events in the olympics... BUT I wouldn't recomend it... (I take them for blood pressure)...

#2 ok you have heard take a deep breath before beginning... well do that because the 1 thing that can really get you is shallow breathing... you take a tiny breath... say 2 words... take another tiny breath say 2 words... and just don't relax enough to really breath in enough to say more than 2 words at a time... it can be exhausting... So take a good breath... try to speak just a bit more slowly than you feel like you want to... and repeat the same breath... and speaking... It really helps...

the last time I had to give a reading was at a funeral and it was very stressfull because I didn't want to loose it up there reading in front of everyone... my hands were shaking so bad I could hardly read the sheet I was reading from but focusing on my breathing and regulating the speed I was talking.

Another thing that has helped me in the past is if you can memorize part of what you are going to say.. (if you are reading)... not the first 2 or 3 sentences... the ones right after that... when you reach the peak of your nervousness...

Another is a planned pause... "today I am here to tell you about the benifits of eating an apple every day." pause (everybody expects a pause there... hold it for an extra second and take your slow breath in...

Don't think! Don't think about your audience... think about what you are doing... what you are saying...

OK and my number 1 suggestion... Know you will get nervervous and accept it and practice dealing with it...

Believe it or not throwing competitive darts has helped my ability to deal with being nervous and public speaking. Learning to overcome your nervousness and tenseness to throw the game winning bullzeye... on command helped me learn to relax in other settings...

Practice this... like you are watching your favorite team and it is a critical time in the game... you feel your muscles tightening up ... try to relax... take a deep breath and try to live the moment... outside the moment... like you are in a "zen" state... or take up darts and play people for money to practice relaxing in pressure situations... :)

Good luck...

in general, people fear public speaking more than just about anything besides death. in a word, my suggestion : "Toastmasters" - look them up online - there is bound to be a group near you - check them out. It's great for networking as well as learning leadership and most importantly, public speaking.

Did you ever watch the Brady Bunch. Marsha Brady imagined everyone in their underwear and started luaghing. She was calm enough to give her speach. All kidding aside I feel the same way and have struggled with this in work. For me it only happens in large groups of my peers? I have not found a solution but not drinking coffee like another member helps. I have trouble turning my mind off too. Going fisrt and getting it out of the way always makes me feel better too. Good luck.

I didn't see the date on the thread? :11doh:

Back