Protein shakes

I have a great diet already but have been concentrating on loosing weight (8 stone) but now at target I want to concentrate on muscle tone and building muscle any advice regarding protein shakes as I know nothing but been advised that they can help along side weight training

Eat a balanced diet, and spend the money you have set aside for supplements on nicer and better quality food. This will give you better results and tastier meal's than any protein shake would ever come close to.
They are phychological assistance only for most as we don't struggle to get hold of meat and other protein rich foods in today's world. Reality is you will need plenty of boring starchy foods to fuel the training and growth to do well, this is cheap stuff but most find it boring so getting the good stuff will help here.

Well done for your progress so far.

Thank you

So stay away from gimmicks then, I'm trying to concentrate on more of a balanced diet so just carry with what I'm doing I have noticed a slight improvement in muscle definition apart from abs

Trust me abs are not a big deal. Had them and they can be very pretty, but most of the time there is cloth covering them anyway and getting them to show is not the same as making them useful.
I went from pretty 6 pack to varying between 6 and 1 pack when I decided to go for power. My abs and core were massively stronger than when they were permanently visible and the ability to do dramatic things can impress more than a momentary glimpse of a few lines.

There are a lot of gimmicks and many who have used them for years will swear by them. Only those of us who did a bit of reading will have stopped and worked on balanced rather than supplemented diet, and we swear by that. Boring but successful.
That said if you want them go for it. I did so would be a hypocrite to tell you not to bother.

i think you should take NytroWhey Ultra Elite, its really very effective and benificial. If you want to purchase it then your try some online stores like Prosource and Bodybuilding.

Keep in mind that Protein Drinks are regarded as a "SUPPLEMENT" and as such and when used properly can be very beneficial in a well structured nutritional program. I agree with the crazyoldman in that you should eat good quality foods, where and when ever possible. Unfortunately eating this way 100% of the time is impossible for 99.9% of the population. Nutritional Planning, purchasing, preparing, consuming and cleaning up after food takes time and energy. e.g.You have to work late and get home after a long day tired and felling ****ty, the spouse is screaming the kids are puking up their guts, the last thing you want or are able to do is think about your macros and what your going to have for dinner. A good quality whey isolate leucine enriched protein powder with some mixed berries and peanut butter thrown in the blender for 20 seconds is an easy way to hold yourself over for a couple of hours until you get the chance to eat properly.

One should never use protein powder in excess or as any easy out or excuse to not eat properly, there is however a strong case for supplemental use of protein powder in most peoples nutritional programs.

I personally take an 8oz glass of full cream milk with protein powder (27g P, 1g C, 0g F, totals for protein powder only) before bed pretty much every night. I love it and it signals the end of the day, sleep rest and grow time.

If your nutritional program is good then don't change it, "tweek" it to reflect your new goals of muscle hypertrophy. I'm sure you know that you will not be able to gain muscle without increasing the amount of calories your consuming each day and increasing the amount of protein your supplying for recovery and repair. In this instance a good quality protein supplement might be beneficial.

I usaually mix mine with a whole milk... but that's just me :)

Back