Sport protein-carb balance

Sport Fitness
I have just started going to the gym again after a long period of absence. I am 6ft 1, 250lbs, 21 year old.

I have just started to analyse my diet for the first time. i based my calculations on needing 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight, and making the rest up in carbs and fat - I am not 100% sure about the figures.

I basically want to have enough energy (been feeling tired recently), gain muscle mass (like i said, just started doin weights again), and maintain fat (not gain or lose).

As you can see I seem to be 100g too much on carbs, and just shy of my protein target. I dont think I am drastically out, but I want to refine my diet. If you have any tips on what to change Id be glad to hear them. i think the main problem is I want to exchnage some of the carbs for protein.

thanks

Attachments

• diet.jpg
    diet.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,087
What is your total calorie intake?

Have you seen the produce isle? Where ther have a bunch of green fresh things that rabbits eat? :) Gotta get your veggies in you man. It's a MUST!

Take a MultiVitamin.

Buy a healthy oil blend such as Udo's Choice Oil Blend.

Two babanas in one day? Take one out and add an apple.

Mars bar make it every three days. If you need a chocolate fix try 5 peanut M&M's. I'm a chocoholic and thats what I do.

Don't be scared of saturated fat. Its not as bad as you think.

Too much cheese in your diet. You're a big boy but three servings is a bit too much.

Cashews aren't really beneficial. Substitute almonds, pumpkin seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut.

You're not just shy of your protein target you're at least 75 grams shy of your target unless you carry a lot of fat.

How are you breaking up your meals? Break them up into a Protein + Low Glycemic Carb Meals and a Protein + Healthy Fats Meals

I do have a multi vitamin but not every day as I dont see it necessary - i usually have one a week, or on days of heavy training.

i like bananas and dont like apples so I usually have between 1 and 4 bananas per day!! i dont see that as a bad thing tho!

Yes I do have a lot of cheese - we generally have cheese every day in my house.

Cashews - I thought these provide protein?!

I am a chocoholic, i tend to go through phases of not eating any at all, then binging on about 5 in a day - bad I know. ill try to steady out to 2 per week.

How did you work out 75grams shy of protein requirement? by my chart i was only 11grams short.

So what should i switch to get more protein and less carbs? i know I need more fruit and veg, but they have no protein and hardly any carbs - they are mainly for the vitamins and minerals.

You see I am a vegetarian, i eat fish but not meat. thats why i the only sources of protein i know of are fish, nuts, milk and cheese. you can see i ate all of these things on that day but still didnt get enough protein?!

Whole grains (brown rice, etc.) and legumes (beans) are usually the other items vegetarians use for protien and lacto-vegetarians (dairy product eaters) often add eggs as another source of protein.

grean snap beans are only 1% protein, broadbeans only 4%, and chickpeas the highest I know of with 8.8%. However it would take a lot of beans to hit my target!

Similarly, brown rice, although good for complex carbohydartes, is poor for protein as it is only 2% protein. So to get a decent portion of protein (say 30g) I'd have to eat 1.5 kilos of brown rice in one sitting! I think not!

But yeah - eggs i eat those too not huge amouns of protein but complete amino acids. But as an example, I ate a can of tuna, a pint of milk, 4 eggs, some nuts, and some cheese, and still fell short on protein. To make this up I need some extra high protein, low-carb foods. Maybe more tuna?

Bananas are a source of High Glycemic carbs (sugars). Too large of a source of HGC's they will go into storage and be stored as fat.

You're 250lbs. You should take in close to 1 gram of protein per one pound of lean body mass if you want to maintain the LBM you have. Thats at LEAST.

Cashews have the highest amount of carbs for a nut. Don't go overboard with them and rotate your nuts :)

Veggies do not have HIGH GLYCEMIC CARBS (sugar) but they are an excllent source of fiber and other low glycemic carbs.

"I do have a multi vitamin but not every day as I dont see it necessary" Everyone on the planet should take one. They have other macronutrients that you should have in your system that you might not reach throughout the day. Take them daily.

By a quick calculation you need to hit between 3,500 and 4,000 calories per day to maintain what you have. Depends on how active you are.

The reasoning behind using Protein + Carbs and Protein + Fat meals is that your body can only use ONE source for energy, either carbs or fats. If you consume both in one meal one will be used the other stored as fat.

Being a vegitarian especially at your weight is tough. This is where its going to be tougher to meet your protein goals. Since you're not removing fish from your diet eat more of it. Try salmon, swordfish, shrimp, tuna etc. This will also help you reach it. Its not too too difficult, you can do it.

Once you calculate up what your calories total is for all the protein, split up the remaining calories that are needed to reach your goal 50/50 with low glycemic carbs and healty fats.

Green sanp beans are NOT Legumes. Legumes are baked beans, kidney beans, lima beans, etc., a totally different plant type than those other things we call beans.

Just a warning, fitday is okay for tracking your food, but not your activities, it overcaluclates the energy you expend. Trust it as far as your food goes. It also does not make adjustments to the rate at which you start burning less/more when you change your diet and activities in order to lose/gain weight.

i dont use it to monitor activities, only food.

Back