Posture

Does yoga help you with your posture at all, because I have been wanting to sort it out somehow and I heard yoga helps?

(I know this is in the 'Women's Health' but there isn't a yoga bit in 'Men's Health')

I do yoga and haven't noticed my posture changing......It's not going to hurt your posture, that's for sure.

here is an interesting study regarding posture....not only will it help with your health...it appears to develop self discipline, which in turn increases exercise performance

"Researchers found that students who were instructed to improve their posture for 2 weeks subsequently showed greater stamina on an unrelated task (squeezing a handgrip), compared to those who did not “exercise” their self control". [Muraven, M., Baumeister, R.F., and Tice. D.M. (1999). Longitudinal improvement of self-regulation through practice: Building sef-control through repeated exercise. Journal of Social Psychology 139, 446-457.]

My experience

I have been an avid exerciser for over 12 years. I only started doing yoga and pilates 3 years ago. This past summer I felt different, taller (I know this sounds strange but it's true), and I noticed my body shape had changed.

I was at the dr.s a couple months ago and made her take my height (I told her to 'humor me'...mind you I am 31 yrs old). It appears over the past few years (hadn't had my height taken in at least 4 yrs.) I grew an inch. I don't believe a 'full' inch is from growing literally, but I contribute yoga and pilates to lengthening me and stretching me out hence I perhaps stand taller too. I also noticed my hips have widened (no Ihaven't had a child)and this is due to the opening of them through practice. It's amazing what your body can do if you open your hips. My legs are longer (i could tell by the length of my pants), but again I think this is mostly due to the stretching of my hamstrings. Regardless, yes yoga can help your posture with continued practice.

Yoga and posture

Yoga certainly encourages good posture and should help. You're not going to change your posture without exercises and stretching, both are a part of yoga.

If you are joining yoga to improve your posture, there are easier ways. However, yoga is still a great exercise and certainly beneficial for most people.

Yes it can. When done regularly, you can already notice when holding a bad posture and automatically correct it.

You probably already have good posture.. ;) My mom does yoga and her stance is excellent. :D

Back