pops and thuds during sit ups or leg lifts

If you notice a popping or thud sound during sit ups, stop. It may just feel sore now but you could be heading toward a serious injury.

If soreness is persistent and you find yourself putting more weight on one side to relieve discomfort in your lower back (like shifting weight to one leg when standing or sitting more on one side) it's time to visit a doc and inquire about Lumbarisation or Sacralization. These are issues that approximately 1 out of 10 people are born with. Everything feels completely normal throughout your life until a sudden catastrophic failure occurs. The only warning signs I had were the popping / thud sound during sit ups (no sound during crunches for me personally)

If either of those are the culprit then every sit up you do could be one step closer to crippling pain. "Gains" will no longer be measured in lbs and inches. They are measured in how many minutes you can tolerate sitting & standing or how many feet you were able to walk this week.

During recovery I learned there were far more effective and healthy ab exercises that DID NOT involve sit ups or simultaneous leg lifts. Talk to a doctor or rehab therapist BEFORE you need their help if you experience this symptom. Simply doing a different form of exercise can prevent (or at least delay) multiple life altering spinal injuries.

**I'm not a doc, just a guy who went through this. Feel free to message me any time. (john.kadena@yahoo)

Back