Playing Ice Hockey

Anyone else here play? I had played a number of times in the past, pickup games or pond hockey. Now I'm currently in an adult "learn to play" class where we run drills on skating, stickhandling and shooting. What a workout. We finish every practice with a scrimage. By the time its done I should be ready for the adult summer league. I'm down to the point where I have that last bit of stubborn body fat and this type of explosive exercise should help me get rid of it. Plus its fun as hell! :)

I played hockey for 8 years up until last year. Its a lot of fun but a big workout especially with a hard arse for a coach like mine was. Hockey is not really the most popular sport around so you get to travel alot which is fun.

I love hokey, but i don't know how to play. My wife was going to buy me lessons like what your talking about for christmas, but money got too tight.

ice time could run you about 200 canadian for a good time and equipment is expensive i remember my goalie equipment were about 2,300$ for brand new stuff...but its a great stuff its excellent for getting in shape and extremely fun :) i've been doing it for a while now

The varsity's goalie leg pads were 2500....just the leg pads....I play JV, and he subbed for us for a game, and MAN did he suck! Really relates to that new reebok commercial "A jump shot can buy you a cool house, a shoe deal, etc, but none of those things can buy you a jumpshot"

Try Inline Roller Hockey, you perspire more, the skates are heavier, rink time is more economical, less chance of getting hurt by a check which will hurt your being able to workout all the time, and its alot of fun

David

Hello Karl. I used to play roller hockey before ice, but trust me ice is the way to go. Its more true, its the original. Its harder and faster. There is less BS like having a crappy puck that bounces around like a pancake. Plus you now know that there is nothing like skating out on fresh ice just after the zamboni comes out. Besides, what other sport can you play that you won't die from heat exhaustion in the summer? Where I live its like 100 degrees and a dry heat for like 8 months out of the year. As you can imagine I love going to the hockey rink.

Not only that but I don't care what anyone says, its the most challenging sport period. Every other sport you are on your feet. Anyone can walk or run, shoot a basket, throw a football or hit a baseball. These things can be hard to do sometimes, but try manipulating a little piece of rubber while your on a pair of ice skates going 30 mph with 5 guys that want to ram into you. That takes skill!!!

Amen to that brutha - I just played last night, had an awesome game! Didn't score any goals but I was all over the ice makin some good plays. Sh*t I had 3 breakaways but didn't close the deal on one and lost the puck to diving poke checks by the defensmen on the other two. We won though which was cool, I'm getting better with each time I skate. :)

finally some people care about hockey...im only 14 and ive played inline (or roller) hockey for around 7 years and ice for the past 2. ice hockey is seriously amazing, but like u said, ice time is really hard to get (4am practices and games 3 hours away)...yea...our school has a team...but its a pretty lame excuse for a team...they dont have enough people for even one team, freshman-senior, so you can walk in and sign up =/...no tryouts

o well its still a really cool sport

good luck with it

AMEN to that Squall :D

Back