pilates and having an hourglass figure

Well, I have to begin by saying that you either have an hourglass figure or you don't ;)....for example, I have no hips...lol! I guess what you are trying to get at is how to have long, lean muscles...you just want to tone and not bulk up, right? Cardio is excellent for burning fat, particularly when mixed with weight training. This is the best combination to really increase your metabolism, which is what ultimately allows you to lose fat and keep it off. Now, let's define "light weights" shall we? Too often I see women afraid to lift heavy weights for fear of becoming massive. They end up lifting a weight that is far too light and getting nowhere near the momentary muscle fatigue necessary to build muscle. And when I say build muscle, I don't mean huge muscle mass. Being toned is about having muscles. Simple as that. So, if you want to tone, stick to 12-15 reps with a weight that will take you to momentary muscle failure, that is, a weight with which you would not be able to properly complete 2 or more reps than the prescribed amount. If you could keep going for many more reps easily, the weight is not enough and you WILL NOT get the desired benefits. You MUST overload the muscle to get results. And when the weight becomes too easy as you get stronger, KEEP INCREASING IT. Don't be afraid, as long as you respect the repetition range, you will be fine...even if the weights you are lifting seem like a lot, this does not mean you will "get big". ;)
Pilates is an EXCELLENT complement to a weight training program. It works your core in a very functional way, while helping maintain muscle flexibility. I would definitely recommend it if it is available!

Hope this helps, good luck!!!
:)

excellent - thanks :)
i see.. so reps are really the key then huh?
yes i am an hourglass (36-26-36) who is trying to keep toned and fit and lower body fat percentage. i do want muscle tone and have been doing high repetitions with light weights. i have also been doing cardio 5 days a week for at least half an hour.
been rockclimbing once a week as well. i have been curious about pilates and am pleased that it could be good for me. do you have any recommended pilates videos/dvds/books or would it be better to take an actual class?

DEFINITELY better to take a few classes at first till you get an idea of what it all is and develop a little more body position awareness. I know people who have seriously injured their back following a video or book. Try to choose a class that is given by a reputed instructor, that is, someone with a relevant certification (I would recommend you choose someone who is certified with Stott Pilates, as it is the most reputed certification body). Once you've gotten the hang of it, you could use a book and implement whichever exercises you like into your training program. I recommend a book by Brooke Siler called "The Pilates Body". If you want to incorporate the Swiss ball as well, "Pilates on the Ball" by Colleen Craig is a great one!
Have fun! :)

great! thanks :)
unfortunately i won't be able to take classes for a while (still a broke grad student at the moment). but i will definitely look into it. i've heard so much about the benefits of pilates - haven't really heard anything bad about it yet.

There are some good Pilates tapes or DVD's out also...grab yourself a yoga mat and do it at home...:)

Back