Phase One Completed

Dave Welch

I didn't post much because I didn't find that I was getting the support that I expected or wanted.

This post is to show that I achieved my goal, I am feeling good and cycle 25Km per day.

I am 60 years old. People will say that it is more difficult to lose weight when you are older, I disagree. If you have the desire to lose weight then age makes no difference. The calculation is the same regardless of age;

calories burned - calories in = weight loss.

Dave

Congrats Dave! That is amazing. So are your photoshop skills. It looks like your twin is in the picture.

You are excellent motivation for everyone here. Age doesn't matter. Mindset is the only thing that matters. With the right motivation / will power, it's within everyone's grasp.

Congrats Dave! That is amazing. So are your photoshop skills. It looks like your twin is in the picture.

You are excellent motivation for everyone here. Age doesn't matter. Mindset is the only thing that matters. With the right motivation / will power, it's within everyone's grasp.

allcdnboy - thanks for the complements.

Yes, my message to the more mature members is that successful weight loss is very achievable. However some aspects are not; old skin does not adapt to weight loss the same as younger skin. For me, I will take the weight loss over tight skin every time. I can live with the chicken neck and the slightly saggy upper arms. Muscle definition would help, but I am not inclined to go down that road, other than my chosen exercise of cycling.

Dave

It's all about what works for you. It's really the only way to be successful.

Are you doing some weight training? Weight training is especially important for more mature people to help fight off things like Osteoporosis.

No I do not do weight training, not do I intend to start.

My diet is high in protein and potassium, I have quit coffee completely and I get plenty of vitamin-D from cycling. I could introduce more calcium into my diet, that will follow as I gradually raise my calorie intake.

Dave

Vitamin D is definitely essential and you are building strength from cycling, for your legs. I would recommend a bit of strength training for the rest of your body, but that is totally your call. I won't mention it again. Here is a good article on it, though, if you have the time.

http://www.betterbones.com/bone-health-basics/bone-building-and-maintenance-in-adulthood/

Summary:
- if you have good bone density and muscle mass, then staying active and having enough Vitamins is generally enough (which is where you might be)
- if you don't have the above, then a little strength training can go a really long way.

I enjoy cycling, but I detest gym work and so I would never sustain the effort.

I put a lot of thought into my nutrients as you should do with a reduced calorie intake. Some things like protein and calcium are difficult as they generally come with high fat foods. I solved the protein dilemma with fish, mainly salmon and tuna steaks, expensive but make very tasty meals. Also tempeh dry fried is very good, cannot oil fry as tempeh is like a sponge for oil.

Calcium is another high calorie food nutrient, especially if you are trying for the recommended 1000mg per day. Tofu fits the bill, but it is impossible to meet recommended levels for all nutrients every day.

Before I started this program my diet was awful. Even if my diet does not reach the recommended levels, it is still a massive improvement. I am enjoying my food and the cooking process whereas meal times used to be a necessary chore, bought out local fried foods (Indonesia) and lots of coffee.

Dave

You look great Dave! I hope you chronicle your efforts because I know people like my parents say it isn't possible or worth it. You can show them the other side!

You look great Dave! I hope you chronicle your efforts because I know people like my parents say it isn't possible or worth it. You can show them the other side!
Thanks MP. Here is a link to my complete stats and diary. The data collection still continues.

http://bendiet.freeforums.net/

Dave

Back