Pedometer Help

I am in the market for a pedometer and wondered if anyone had any recommendations? Either a brand you prefer, or a feature you would definitely look for.

TIA :)

I have not gone shopping for one of those before - but I do know that they range in price from $10 up to over $100 so I guess you have to ask yourself what you want from one. Some of them will count out the beat so that you just keep in time with the pedometer and it will keep you going at the speed you want to go.

Around here, Oshmans and Academy have the best prices but it sounds like you might want a more knowledgeable sales rep. I would suggest a specialty store - RunTex is my preference but I doubt you have them in VA.

The latest thing is GPS based distance measuring devices. They are much more accurate than a Pedometer (which measures the number of strides you take and calcualtes how far you would have travelled in that many strides based on your average stride length), but also cost more ($200+).

I have an Ironman GPS watch. I found it online for $130 which isn't bad. Very accurate and helpful. They also make GPS Ironman watches that record distance, pace, AND heartrate, but those I'm sure cost a bit more.

Do some shopping around the web, you'll find some deals.

If you want a pedometer, you can go to McDonald's and order that salad that comes in that huge box. You'll get a bottle of water with your salad and a complimentary "stepometer". I read the directions while I leisurely ate my strawberry sundae (just kidding, he he he).

I also would recommend a GPS unit. I got myself a Garmin eTrex. It's big and bulky, but it straps around your neck. It can tell you how far you've gone, how fast you're going (very accurately...more accurate than the speedometer on your car), which direction home is (which can be helpful if you live in the country like me and want to do some walking off the main path). It can also mark trails that you like to walk on, sites that you've found (drinking fountains, restrooms, etc.), sunrise, sunset...these things are cool.

If you still want to go with a pedometer and don't want to go to McDonald's, they have pedometers out there that are functional. I got mine at Fred Meyer. Try to find one that will let you input your stride (both in walking and running distance). I've often wished mine had a stopwatch on it. Mine cost $15 on sale.

What do you expect in a happy meal toy?

Back