p90x Vs. conventional weightlifting

I'm starting p90x, just for a change. Anyone out there who has lifted weights regularly who has tried this program? Wanting to know how well it worked (or not) and what your thoughts are.

Seems most of the testimonials are from folks who weren't ever involed in lifting before...

It looks like a pretty good system to me. It's primarily functional training, meaning that rather than train on a bunch of machines, you use the ultimate machine ever... Your own body!

You should keep a training log so people can follow your progress, and it will keep you more accountable.

I skip the conventional weightlifting because I like to have a clean form and to lose some weight and I focus just on P90X and this is work for me.

From what I understand the P90 is a very very well thought out program and you should be in decent shape when you start it...Its not very noob friendly.

I know some people that use the while they travel..but don't when they are home.

I've found that it is a very good program, that takes care of strength training, cardio and flexibility. However, I decided, after being on the program for about 2 months, to do a weightlifting session. I was sore for days. Also, I seemed to lose some size, but it really helped with my flexibility - a real weakness for me.

P90x is the all around package to get you ripped it has worked wonders for me. I love it I am on my 2nd round of the X and lost about 35lbs of FAT the first round. Let me know if you need any help with the program I am a coach for p90x

A good friend of mine uses it and he loves it. He may complain about be sore afterwords but the result are there.

The p90x recovery drink is heaven :) the first week that I started the program I thought I was going to DIE, I was so sore it was not even funny, but I was WAY out of shape.

They only work out that I still get really sore from is legs and back. I make sure to have a lot of Glutamine on hand for those days.

Chris

Well, on November 3rd I'm starting the P90X program. I am eXtremely excited about it. I've been working out under the MAX-OT program for 13 weeks and I've been gaining muscle mass but I haven't lost any body fat. Being a massage therapist and knowing about anatomy and physiology and watching the videos and reading the books, all I can say is that is definitely a complete workout. Too bad I can't afford the food they suggest on the guide (since I'm unemployed at the moment) but I am calculating the amount of calories at each eating time and get the nutrition information of the food to try to match it with whatever food I can get.

Well, on November 3rd I'm starting the P90X program. I am eXtremely excited about it. I've been working out under the MAX-OT program for 13 weeks and I've been gaining muscle mass but I haven't lost any body fat. Being a massage therapist and knowing about anatomy and physiology and watching the videos and reading the books, all I can say is that is definitely a complete workout. Too bad I can't afford the food they suggest on the guide (since I'm unemployed at the moment) but I am calculating the amount of calories at each eating time and get the nutrition information of the food to try to match it with whatever food I can get.

Soulkeeper you will love the program, if you have put on muscle dont worry about loosing anything but fat. I actually lost around 35lbs from doing the x and put on a lot of muscle. It is an amazing program.

Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any more questions :)

Today is the last day of my 3rd week doing the P90X workout. This is a little summary of how it goes with me.

- On my first week I lost 5 ½ Lbs in 6 days. Since then I haven't lost anymore weight because I am using enough weight to gain muscle mass at the same time I'm losing body fat.

- The workouts are EXTREMELY intensive, even if you go to the gym, when you jump into the P90X you'll feel soreness at least during the first week, and like someone else said here, this is not newbie friendly. The workouts are usually and hour, it might take a lil bit more at the beginning since most of us will pause it to catch our breath.

- About my progress, on the routine I am doing, I work back and chest together one day of the week... This are my results

Week 1
Total Push-ups = 226
Total Pull-ups = 54

Week 2
Total Push-ups = 301
Total Pull-ups = 65

Week 3
Total Push-ups = 351
Total Pull-ups = 72

- In three weeks I've jumped two holes on my belt and my pants and clothes are getting really loose.

My conclusions, this is a hell of a training and it definitely works and depending of what weights do you use, you will or will not lose muscle mass. I didn't have weights so I was using resistant bands, so I lost 1/4" of biceps but now I finally got weights so I'm planning to work on volume again.

I truly recommend this training to anyone who wants to work on their cardio, stretching and lose body fat.

P90x is the all around package to get you ripped it has worked wonders for me. I love it I am on my 2nd round of the X and lost about 35lbs of FAT the first round. Let me know if you need any help with the program I am a coach for p90x

Do you have any tips for beginner? I am trying to get in to shape. I do not like gym environment so I prefer P90X but it seems very difficult. I can go through more then half way before I am completely tired and sore. It is some what discouraging knowing that I am unable to finish one complete disc.

ive actually been interested in this for a while but never gave it a shot. im currently working on strength/size at the moment with a 5x5 program and will be cutting probably around March. would it be better for me to just do a conventional cut while still doing my current routine or should i try p90x? the only thing im worried about with p90x is losing any muscle that ive gained.

Do you have any tips for beginner? I am trying to get in to shape. I do not like gym environment so I prefer P90X but it seems very difficult. I can go through more then half way before I am completely tired and sore. It is some what discouraging knowing that I am unable to finish one complete disc.

I've never done or read p90x, so my advice may be moot, but if you want to get to the end of a session without altering the training volume, the best advice I can give is make sure you have good pre-workout nutrition (no training on an empty stomach; at least 1 meal and preferably 1 snack before training) and reduce the weight/do an easier version of the exercise.

When I first started training, I was done in 20-30min. I just did 1 set of each exercise on my program card, and left. After about a month, I started doing an extra set of each exercise, and that doubled my training time. Back then, that still seemed like a huge effort and a long session to me. Nowadays (years later) anything under 2 hours feels like a brief session because I've improved my nutrition and gradually built up a tolerance to that workload.

ive actually been interested in this for a while but never gave it a shot. im currently working on strength/size at the moment with a 5x5 program and will be cutting probably around March. would it be better for me to just do a conventional cut while still doing my current routine or should i try p90x? the only thing im worried about with p90x is losing any muscle that ive gained.

When you go on your cut, my recommendation would be to stick with the same exercises, but only do 1 heavy set of 5, then take the weight down 50% and do some dynamic effort work (or, alternatively, stick with 3-5 sets of 5 one day, and do dynamic effort the next training day). Reduce your daily calories, keep protein up, and the fat will come off, while sparing as much muscle as possible.

Back