Overcoming Dental Fear & Anxiety

How do people become afraid of dental visits?

No one is born being afraid of dental visits. So everyone who is afraid has learned somewhere that dental treatment is something to fear. Some people learn this because they've had previous bad dental experiences. The sense of loss of control in the dental environment may be enough to avoid dental treatment forever. And still others may be afraid due to stories they have heard, movies they saw or other indirect experiences. The message conveyed to a child from a scared parent might be that going to see a dentist is something to be afraid of. Such messages may cause individuals to avoid treatment and not have any opportunity to learn that things can be different.

Fear and anxiety can also be reinforced inadvertently. Think about it this way; try to remember a time when you were really afraid of something, do you remember how your body felt? Was your heart beating quickly, palms sweaty, stomach in a knot? Those and other symptoms of being afraid are all unpleasant feelings. So, if someone who is already afraid forces themselves to go have dental treatment and re-experiences those same bad feelings during the appointment, then what they will remember afterward is those same unpleasant feelings. It doesn't matter how friendly the dentist is or how pain free and pleasant the treatment is. What you remember is the feeling of being afraid, thus reinforcing the idea that there is something to be afraid of.
In fact, dental fear begins at the subconscious level. People have what we call an “automatic fear response.” Jane says “I feel like something just takes over and I begin to sweat and my stomach tightens up. I don't really have any control over it.” Since this automatic fear response is subconscious, you can't make it go away using logic or reason. Telling Jane that “there is nothing to be afraid of” won't help. In fact it might make things worse because it could sound like you are saying there is something wrong with her. So, how do we change this pattern of fear and reinforcement?

I understand what you mean. But by telling Jane the truth behind oral hygiene I am pretty sure that she will make the initiative to visit a Dentist. Oral hygiene is very important. It is not just about the fear, anxiety or frustrations. It is about reality. When in if you have a bad oral hygiene a lot of people will avoid you (and that's the reality). And I believe no one will ever like that. Apart from that, if you don't face the reality when it comes to Dental matter, then later on you will suffer from pain, oral diseases and problems.

it's a natural phenomena that occur when you feel discomfort :), Being as a dental software owner, I can say only experience dentist can provide your satisfactory result with less or no pain.

Ya ! it's really natural to feel fear regarding surgery if you never been through this but with an expert it's quite easy to go for the all steps of surgery.

A lot of people will huge fear before visiting a dentist, but I don't cause I have a brother who is dentist, hah.

Back