On the right track?

Bitenscratch

Hello everyone, I just wanted to get some advice, and so far I have liked what I have read on here. So here are my stats and info, I just want to see if in general it seems like I am on the right track.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 175
Natural waist: 30"
Hips: 42"
Caloric intake: about 1400 calories, primarily through protein and veggies. I only drink water and tea. I do not eat red meat. I limit my sweets, which is hard as I am a major chocoholic. :p
Daily activity: I go to the gym and do about 30-40 minutes strength training and 30 minutes cardio 5 days a week. I have been consistent with this since the beginning of December, started off slow back in October.
Medical problems: prone to anemia, low blood-pressure and Diabetes runs in my family. I also have a permanently injured tail bone and floating kneecaps and almost no cartilage left in my knees. Yup, I'm a mess! :rolleyes:
My goals are to 1) improve my cardio 2) strengthen some of my core muscle groups and 3) slimdown. I know weight gain is typical when you start strength-training, but my waist and hips have gained inches! I know I have gotten stronger, but need some help trying to slim down as well. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!
-Hilary

bittenscratch

You've come to a good place. There are people here who can advise you. Welcome.

Caloric intake: about 1400 calories, primarily through protein and veggies. I only drink water and tea. I do not eat red meat. I limit my sweets, which is hard as I am a major chocoholic. :p

Are you getting any complex carbs? Do you have a pre-post workout nutrition? Veggies are good but you do need some complex carbs in the diet.
Also I would raise your calories a little or bounce them having some higher and lower days. Do you keep specific track of what you eat in a day.

Daily activity: I go to the gym and do about 30-40 minutes strength training and 30 minutes cardio 5 days a week. I have been consistent with this since the beginning of December, started off slow back in October.
What is your exact strength training routine?

My goals are to 1) improve my cardio 2) strengthen some of my core muscle groups and 3) slimdown. I know weight gain is typical when you start strength-training, but my waist and hips have gained inches! I know I have gotten stronger, but need some help trying to slim down as well. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

You can only gain muscle in real noticeable amount when in a caloric surplus. So if your diet has not been good or you have been guesstimating then that is really the only way you have gained any muscle. You cannot gain muscle in a deficit to any large degree. Also if you are doing a lot of oblique work that isn't something you want to do if you want a slim waist.

You seem to be a little all over the place and not focused. Great results require perfect focus and planning.

Hit back with the answers to some of those questions.

Back