Omnivore cooking/ recipe club

1-2 onions, chopped into bits (I used one, should've used two. supposed to be finely chopped but I can't do that)
cooking oil (I use frylight/ cooking spray whenever possible, but for this recipe, oil is really needed)
canned corn, preferably in water, drained (about the same amount as the canned tuna- I used 260g drained weight corn and 278g drained tuna)
canned tuna, preferably in brine, drained
approx. 2 tablespoons plain flour
approx 500ml milk
2 comments about this.....
Do you rinse the tuna? (I find a mild rinsing helps reduce the fishy smell and taste)
Also, I imagine that frozen corn would be better for this recipe. I just like frozen veggies better.
Honestly, I'm really not much of a cook, but I've been doing a lot more "cooking" lately.

Last edited:
No, I don't, but then I quite like the "fishy taste" (and I don't see why you couldn't, except that it might be messy), and I don't see why you couldn't use frozen corn (except they'd have to be thawed before you started)- though one of the virtues of this recipe is that so little of it needs to be in the fridge (I made it a lot when I lived in a student residence and my fridge/ freezer space was horribly limited)

No, I don't, but then I quite like the "fishy taste" (and I don't see why you couldn't, except that it might be messy), and I don't see why you couldn't use frozen corn (except they'd have to be thawed before you started)- though one of the virtues of this recipe is that so little of it needs to be in the fridge (I made it a lot when I lived in a student residence and my fridge/ freezer space was horribly limited)
Sure, but it's nice to "evolve" your recipes once you're grown-up, isn't it?

I'm still a student ;) I'm just a lucky student with her own flat and hence own fridge. (My mum- who's the biggest food snob ever (literally, she was recently surprised I didn't dry and crush my own herbs... Mum, I'm a student, remember?)- still uses cans for this recipe)

Adapted this tonight for the slow cooker. Plan was to use stewing steak, and dried rosemary, and leave out the olives (as my boyfriend doesn't like them). Sort of added things as I went along.

What I did: took the stewing steak, cut off the fat/ gristle as best as I was able, cut into small chunks, browned in a saucepan with frylight (low cal cooking spray) rather than oil. I then chopped up the vegetables (ended up using 2 onions and 2 capsicums/ peppers/ bell peppers to up the veg content, and 3 cloves of garlic because the cloves I was using were tiny). I then chucked everything into the slow cooker, including the canned tomato, realised it wasn't covering it, put in another canned tomato, still wasn't covering it, added one of the cans filled with water. Added a teaspoon dried rosemary and (for the hell of it) half a teaspoon of dried oregano. Cooked on low for 6.5 hours.

Ingredients as they turned out:
200g brown onion
5g garlic cloves
252g capsicum ((bell) pepper)
5 sprays Frylight
403ml water
2g rosemary
1g oregano
319g stewing steak
800g chopped tomato

I made this to serve 4. A serve is 178 calories, with 20g protein, 17g carbs, and 2g fat, for a 46/40/14 (protein, carbs, fat) split. It contains 87.6mg sodium. I served with boiled potato, my boyfriend's having it at work tonight with rice.

Ok... I definitely want to try the artichoke & chicken recipe, it looked yummy!

Hmm, I wonder how hubby will feel about artichokes. They are not on his favorite vegetable list... then again... not much is ;) He did agree that if it's roasted til cripsy that fennel is tolerable!

I'm having real trouble finding artichokes in brine. So far, only oil. Strangely enough, I haven't bought them :( I've tried most of the supermarkets near me, to no avail. I can't imagine they're that much of a specialty item (my normal supermarket has 3 types of artichoke in oil!)

That is odd! I just went last night to pick some up, and I didn't see any in oil, just a set in brine, and a set that was 'marinated'... Sometimes I just give up though, and order things online. :/ Like I may try to order sorghum for a granola recipe... (Tried it with molasses instead and it wasn't bad, but I want to know what the intended outcome was like!)

It's definitely weird. I have one supermarket left to try which is supposed to stock it- otherwise I'll just have to give that recipe a miss, which is a shame.

I think my next beef stew (stewing meat is just about the only beef I can afford) is this: (or an adaptation thereof, as it's not as low calorie as I'd like).

I found artichokes and made this () by the way. Absolutely to die for, not too high calorie, very filling, would heartily recommend.

I'm currently working my way through this (I added more veggies and used a little less meat): Same problem as a lot of stew recipes I adapt for the slow cooker, I have to add more water to cover things, and so the sauce is a bit weak, but it's not fatal to this recipe. In fact, although the sauce as I have it is a little on the weak side, I imagine that the sauce as in the original recipe would be a little strong.

Hey.. guys... I invented my own recipe.... cuz I'm awesome....
(actually, I was really low on food that day, and just threw together what I had)
It's so easy.... not really so healthy though... LOL....
but, THEY ARE VERY, VERY TASTY! (especially if you like stuffing)
I call it... STUFFING CAKES
anyhow......
MIX
1/2 package of stuffing mix (I used Great Value, Walmart brand, same as Stauffer's I think)
WITH 3 eggs in mixing bowl.
allow stuffing bits to soften a bit, should take 3-5 mins.
heat oil in frying pan, preferable one with a high edge.
Then....... add stuffing/egg mix,
FLATTEN with spatula
FRY until golden brown, flip.... do it again.
you should be able to fry 2-3 cakes at once in average sized frying pan.
Makes 4-6 stuffing cakes. Size doesn't really matter. Make as large or small as desired.
Options:
For one batch I added cauliflower bits, and it came out great. You can also add whatever you like, such as mushrooms, peas, etc. Be careful not to add to many extras or the cakes will lose cohesion. Avoid adding onions, because the stuffing already has a strong onion flavor.
enjoy!

I love your improvisation! I don't have the nerve to do that. :D

This was dinner tonight, with my boyfriend (I'm trying not to cook big meals at the moment because I'm about to go on holiday and I imagine they'll be in a fairly foul state when I get back): I added too much mustard, but apart from that it was very good. Even considering I don't actually like coriander (it was good enough to tell that it worked, I'd probably substitute next time I made it) My boyfriend was very impressed. Not good for the sodium levels, though.

Made this the other night- it's awesome. When I make it again (not if) I'll probably do it in a Pyrex dish rather than a baking tray because the sauce spread everywhere and made a bit of a mess, and I'd rather it on the chicken. Perhaps then on a lower temperature for longer? Worth experimenting. Very simple and relatively inexpensive to make.

This is one of my mum's favourite recipes (at least the salmon bit, she usually skips the potatoes), and it's absolutely amazing, and really simple.

I made the above (the salmon and marinade), served with boiled potatoes, and a mix of cabbage, leek, spring greens, and beans sauteed in galirc. About 390 calories all up. Highly recommended, even with me making it using cheaper ingredients.

Anyone got any suggestions on what I can do with rainbow trout?

Originally Posted by Esther White

Wow I usually go to BBC for news only, didn't know they have an entire section on recipes! Thanks Amy! :beerchug:

BBC has some great recipes for sure!

With thanks to fortyfour for the idea, I thought I'd start a thread for the meateaters out there who need inspiration/ would like new ideas for dishes. I find variety is the key to sticking to my diet, and so I'm trying new dishes all the time. Ideally I think it'd be nice if we share recipes, cook each other's (although not in any structured way, I suspect tastes/ budgets/ dietary restrictions will be too varied for that), and share the results (and any adaptations/ problems that we may have had).

Feel free to post recipes from anywhere- I get most of mine from recipe websites. (Ideas/ things you made up are also more than welcome)

I'll start by listing some recipes that I haven't tried but would like to try soon. I'll also add that I calorie count, so I don't really have any restrictions to my diet other than "not too high calorie".

Beef:

Chicken:

Pork: (I'm going to be making this once I'm out of leftovers)

Fish:

Don't have any lamb recipes at the moment, it seems to be a high-ish calorie meat.

Seared Scallop Stacks
Preparation- Stovetop; tools- Skillet; Time- 10 Min

INGREDIENTS:
• 5 Ounces Dry Packed Scallops
• 1 Spray PAM Nonstick Spray
• 2 tsp DWL Seasoning
• 1 Ounces Wilted Spinach (see recipe)
• 1 Ounce Roasted Red Peppers (See Recipe)
• 1 Ounce Seared Button Mushrooms (see recipe)

DIRECTIONS:
• Place skillet on high flame until hot.
• Spray Scallops with PAM and season both sides with DWL seasoning
• Lay Scallops in hot skillet and sear until dark golden brown. Flip and sear other side until dark golden again. Remove from heat.
• Slice Scallops horizontally. Place the bottom portion of each scallop on a plate in a circle. Place equal amounts of wilted spinach and red peppers on each scallop and then the top half of each scallop.
• Slice the button mushrooms and sprinkle around the plate.
• Serve hot.
Heres a healthy and easy one from my dwl menu.

Back