Weight-Loss Oldies Versus Newbies

Weight-Loss

kccruz

As everyone can see , we are getting alot of newbies on the forum.
Miss Jelly Belly is having a "newbies" weight loss competition. (actually she says anyone can join if they want to) The only difference with this challange is that there is not a 5 lb weight loss goal. You try your hardest to lose what you can. Alot of people feel like they let their teams down when they dont lose the 5 lbs. Just losing half a pound or even maintaning is a victory in itself!!

Also, we may go by percentage...because each teams begining total weight will all be different.

The next thing is..alot of the old members were somewhat put off by people....( mainly newcomers) that were so excited to join the challange, and then didnt post after the first day. So.....what I am suggesting is a competition against groups of the "older"members against groups of all the new members. If you have been in any of the competitions you will be considered a veteren.....lol..

Also...Amomono has posted about having other activity challanges. I think it is a nice idea....and maybe we can have those within the groups we are in....
So that there is a challange within a challange.

I believe Miss Jelly..wants to start this on November first..( Tuesday)
I know alot of you do not get on the forum until Monday ......so its cutting in close.

I am ready for this competition.....with Thanksgiving and Xmas lurking around the corner it gives us some time to really step it up in the weight loss.....Its said many people gain anywhere from 3 to 10 lbs during the holidy season......
And losing weight before hand will really help us in that department.

Oh...and one last thing...we will be following the rules on this challange.
We are TEAMS.....that means other people are counting on you to do YOUR very best....not only with weight loss...but with support, motivation...and checking in. If for some reason you are unable to do any of those things ..maybe its best for you to wait until you can. I want everyone to succeed!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey, thats a nice idea. Its a good way to shake things up a bit. I'm in!

speaking for this newbie

Please don't take this personal-maybe some insite from a newbie may help with welcoming. Hopefully other newbies can post their thoughts.

I thank the person or people who were brave enough to say something. I so felt left out. I joined on oct 16 and I was welcomed. I was excited because I had never joined a forum before. It's hard for some people to even take that 1st step of joining. I did ask how this all worked but I really needed more info. It took me some time to figure out how to work the ticker (This sentence sounds funny:) )and I still don't know how to attach an avatar (I think that's what it's called) or even the picture thing.
Maybe if there was a Newbie Starter Sheet with:
-a list of questions to start with (basics info sw/cw/gw)
-some choices (groups,goals,challenges,etc.) everyone likes choices
-some tools and instructions for those of us who need technical help setting up tickers,avatars,etc.
-a list of rules,pet peeves,etc

I hope this helps and I hope this doesn't offend anyone but communication is the only way to make things better. I guess I should have said something earlier. :eek:
Thanks for listening - I so need help and support-I think I gained 2 lbs but I'm on my period so I don't know:(

Last edited:
Chocolatemama.....
Like they say..." the dumbest question was the one that was never asked"...Personaly I think the admin./ moderators should be welcoming and answearing all questions....but sometimes they arnt always here... :rolleyes: ...So the older members try their best at welcoming and doing things like that....At the top of the forum is a FAQ, It is"somewhat" helpful.....Sometimes you have to post a new thread specificaly asking what you need help on.....Although I think it would be a good idea to have a "newbie" information thread..so that we arnt always having to repeat ourselves in the long run....Also..I onced tried to help a new member download a photo...I explained it the best to my ability and she still had no idea what I was talking about. Another member stepped in to help....and she was abel to do it then.....( Thank goodness I am not a professional teacher..lol).........

I hear ya

I get what your saying. Just the basics would help. I understand that you(in general, not you specifically)can't give a course on computers and not everyone needs step by step instructions but the basics or an outline of how things work may give newbies more confidence to ask for any other help. I think a lot of people who need support with weight loss may not be so quick to jump in with specific questions. Some times it feels comfortable to have someone take you under their wing- even if it's just for the first step. Then they have to take the next step on their own.
Thank you for listening and your words.

Newbies versus Oldies! I love it, great idea. I'll get the newbie teams ready for the competition. hehe I'll be back to check out our oldie competitors on Monday. Thanks Kim!

Last edited:
Oldies, where are you?? Lets beat some Newbie butt!

Sandy, and Its4me, you probably should be on the newbie side ;) I think anyone under 80 posts or so should be

I want to do this next challenge where do we sign up. I'v only been here since september but I have lots of posts, would I be a newbie or oldie.

400+ posts....your an oldie julie! I think KC will divide up our groups..if we get enough to sign up!

Happy Halloween Oldies! hehe Better get rid of ALL that candy tonight!

I just wanted to check in and see if you can get at least one team of 5 to compete against the newbies. So far we have 20 newbies, I'll break them into smaller groups.

Just wanted to also say that we need to figure out what teams "t'is4me" and "Sandy" are on since they posted in the newbie thread and this one. Sandy completed the last challenge, so she isn't a total rookie, but going by # of posts is a good idea too. I guess I'll talk to you later this evening, KC and we'll figure it out. Choices, choices.

This challenge is going to be a blast. Can't wait to see who comes out on top! Though we are all winners in the end. hehe

Last edited:
I'm in this time. The bad thing is I just weighed and I have put on 7 lbs in almost two weeks! Like I said before, last challenge was cheap grocery time and it was eat what you can afford (not to mention I did not exercise at all these past two weeks). I cannot gain 7 more lbs anymore so COUNT ME IN!!! Weigh in is tomorrow right? Oh, and I am an oldie. :p

This sounds like a great idea!! I'd love to join, but I think in fairness to everyone else I'd better wait until I'm sure things are under control around here. I will check in and try to provide as much encouragement as possible though! I don't think I can live up to Kim's cheerleading skills, but I'll give it a shot!

Okay peoples!!!!!!!...
These are the older members who have stated they want to sign up for the challange: Newbride02
Runforfun529
Skinnysomewhere
1dayatatime
Jennylynn
Julie73
Kccruz
I went by Korries suggestion that with any one over 80 post or more is considered an old member....

Wonderwoman and Amomono....I wasnt for sure if you two were joininig this one...( I sure hope so!!!)
The way Missjelly suggested on figuring out the way it will be determind on which group is the biggest loser is by percentages. ..( I suck at math..)..But I believe she said we will take the total weight of the group and then divide it by how many people we have...( I think thats right...lol..).....There is not a specific goal poundage to lose for each individual......Lose what is possible for you..giving it all your best!!!!!
Also...If you want ....we can have with in our own groups another challange on who can lose the most....or something like that....
ANY suggestions would be most welcomed!!!!!......

Back