Old Dog's Diary (once a week i hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just start your weight loss journey with whatever you feel is good for you. Listen to your soul :)

I'm currently trying to think up a good challenge for myself that doesn't break what i want to do. Just doing the workout every day doesn't seem to be much of a challenge since i do that anyway. Maybe light increases in intensity or reps here and there? I'm not sure.

It is great that you are an active person, but remember that the right diet is 70% of success. The 30% is an active lifestyle.
If you feel that your daily exercise is too soft for you right now it would be good to just contact a good fitness coach and think together what is good for your body (include your leg problem) :)

@aiminglow Thank you for the support. while i have noticed my clothes getting a little looser, I don't really see visually any difference. started taking pics about 2 weeks ago every friday. gonna put them in a slide show after about 3-4 months. That's if i make progress ofcourse :D

@FoodC Thanks again for the advice. I decided to challenge myself (for now) by increasing the time of my workout by 5 mins every friday and keeping with the new time throughout the next week. I'll do this till i get up to an hr. This will also increase my sets with resistance bands by 1 set every 10 mins added. I'll think of what to do after i get to an hr. I'm hoping to be physically fit enough by then to add something else to the workout.
I do have access to a physical therapist and a nutritionist through my medical retirement agreement. I've never considered contacting them before you brought that up. I forgot about them. I'll try making an appointment with them in the near future. Dunno how long it will take. Free medical is free for a reason :D

I've never considered contacting them before you brought that up. I forgot about them. I'll try making an appointment with them in the near future.

That is great! I am curious about what they will tell you :) Goodluck!

I do have access to a physical therapist and a nutritionist through my medical retirement agreement. I've never considered contacting them before you brought that up. I forgot about them. I'll try making an appointment with them in the near future.
That´s great that you have access to professional help!

That´s great that you have access to professional help!
That is really good. That reminds me that I was going to try to make an appointment again to see a Nutritionist for which I have a free referral. We should make the most of some of the valuable tools in our kitbag.
Clothes getting looser is a great indicator for weight-loss. That means fat loss. :)

Ok, time for my once a week update, planning to do this on fridays.

Weight 254 lbs
body fat 36.8%
BMI 36.2

I missed one day of exercise this week. I got super tired yesterday and could hardly keep my eyes open. not really sure if that was calorie deficiency or if the weather is getting to me. Either way i missed a day so I was sad. But i'm back in form today increasing my exercise to 40 mins and reps to 4 sets of 30. we'll see how this goes for the rest of the week.

Are my eyes deceiving me or did you just lost 16 pounds in a week?! Don't worry about missing that one day of exercising: your body clearly needed rest more than exercise and being able to acknowledge that and deviate from your plan accordingly is an important skill.

You've lost 16 pounds! That is awesome! congratulations :) Hopefully our advices was useful and still will be useful on your weight loss path.
One day workout missed is nothing bad as LaMaria said. It is even better because your body could recover a little bit :)

Do you feel good now? Do you have your energy back?

@LaMaria perhaps I wrote things down oddly. that was a 2 week period. the 270 was 2 weeks ago and i didn't get a scale to start measuring my progress until about a week ago so it was more like 5 pounds this week. the 11 pounds was last weeks total.

@FoodC I feel better today, oddly stiff but my energy is back.

...i have noticed my clothes getting a little looser...
Wonderful! And the scales showing loss as well. :) This (looking good, feeling good, living well) is what it's all about! (Living longer is also a pretty desirable by-product!)
I love the sound of getting to a nutritionist - excellent idea! Great that it's factored in to your retirement agreement. And agreeing to what LaMa says, too, about it being a great and very useful skill to know when to deviate from a plan.

:) I'm actually relieved the 16 lbs was 2 weeks. That much in one week would have me worried, unless you stared out with edema. Great work and glad to see it paying off!

This weeks weight loss are a little more moderate.

Weight 251
Body Fat 37%
BMI 35.4

Not sure why body fat went up, maybe i'm not using the reader right. I've totaled 19 lbs of weight loss in 3 weeks i'll try to get it to 23 -34 for the fourth week. That's my small challenge to myself get down to 247!

Meals and everything are pretty much the same I had a minor injury so I had to change to upper body workout for a couple of weeks till I heal but that was just me walking. Not working out just walking down the road to get something and I rolled my ankle :( who does that? I'll keep things up and see how I go.

Try to modify your diet as eat less carbohydrates and more of protein, fat and vegetables :)
Anyway, you're doing great- don't stop :)

Sorry to hear about your ankle - I hope you heal up quickly! Things that spring to mind that might influence your bodyfat reading: wet/sweaty hands or feet (depending on where your contact points are), how much you drank, how full your colon is, how warm you are, whether or not you're retaining water... All the reader measures is resistence to an electrical current; the fat percentage it gives you is an extrapolation from that based on information you fed it (height, weight, gender) and some mathematical formulas.

@FoodC I've been thinking the same about carbs, I recently replaced the burger or chicken sandwich for dinner with fish and veggies such as spinach broccoli or carrots. Honestly I'm loath to give up my oatmeal at breakfast but sandwich for lunch is just fast and easy. do you know of any alternates for these items? As for protein, tbh I don't even know what to eat for protein besides meat.

@LaMaria Thank you for the advice, I took a shower a little later than usual today so i showered just before weighing myself. I guess this could be the source of the problem as i don't think I was completely dry when I did so and checked my BF% at that time.

Edit: Wait! Carrots are not veggies they're roots like potatoes right? That's another carb :(

Last edited:
Not sure why body fat went up, maybe i'm not using the reader right.

It depend on what you are using to measure, If you are using a bioimpedence device, they are often very inaccurate, but ok for tracking trends. When using one you need to take the measurement under the same conditions each time. Usually first thing in the morning after you have emptied your bladder is the most consistent time for readings. Weekly checks are likely to have the fluctuations hide any fat losses.

reps to 4 sets of 30.

If you are doing 30 reps for an exercise the weight (or band) is way to light and not doing you as much good as you would like.

Wait! Carrots are not veggies they're roots like potatoes right? That's another carb :(
Whaaaa...? o_O Do only greens count as vegies for your diet? I count anything that grows but isn't animate, pretty much - but then I'm not on keto or anything similar.

I've been thinking the same about carbs, I recently replaced the burger or chicken sandwich for dinner with fish and veggies such as spinach broccoli or carrots. Honestly I'm loath to give up my oatmeal at breakfast but sandwich for lunch is just fast and easy. do you know of any alternates for these items? As for protein, tbh I don't even know what to eat for protein besides meat.

You don't have to give carbohydrates up. You are not on a keto diet. It would be just good to eat less carbs. So you can eat carbohydrates, but less.
Also if you don't know what to eat as a protein here is some my suggestions:
- meat
- eggs
- fishes
- seafood
- diary products (don't choose fat-free products because mostly it contains a lot of sugar)
- leguminous vegetables (as beans, broad beans, peas (including peas and pea to give green peas), chickpeas, lentils, green beans)
- seaweed
- seeds (poppy, sesame, linseed, chia seeds, etc.)
- mushrooms

Do you need some meal ideas? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back