Oatmeal

Is there any more bland stuff in the world?

I was advised that oatmeal for breakfast was a healthy alternative to various sugar cereals, pancakes, eggs, etc. That's all fine and dandy, but it is completely tasteless! I'm used to it with brown sugar, but that defeats the purpose of oatmeal!

Any suggestions? After today, I'm considering going back to eggs and turkey bacon!

BTW, I made 3/4 cup dry (whatever that makes cooked) and ate about 2/3 of it or so.

Defeats the purpose? :confused:

A little brown sugar won't kill you, Trust me on this one, it won't change what's already inside a bowl of oatmeal. You'll just be adding additional ingredients.

Or be creative, throw in naturally sweet fruits like strawberries, blueberries, peaches.

And NONONO! oatmeal is not a good alternative to eggs. maybe pankcakes and SOME cereals..

Try the all-aroudn Kashi Go-Lean. IMO, it is nutritiously superb and the taste isn't as bad as i imagined. A little raisin bran and wheaties won't hurt you every now and then too.

So a variety of breakfast foods is permissible in striving for fat loss?

I'm trying to eat better (and lower calories) to promote fat loss. A common breakfast would be a couple eggs, a bagel toasted with peanut butter, and 12 oz. 1% milk. Recently, turkey bacon has replaced the bagel.

Occassionally I have cold cereal. Use to be a significant amount of sugar based cereal, but I have been switching to stuff like Post Blueberry Morning and stuff like that.

Of course :)

And sipowicz, remember fat loss comes from a long term diet. (yea, yea those old sayings keep on coming back,eh..) If you absolutely dislike the plain taste of oatmeal, just drop it altogether.

Your breakfast diet seems to be fine as it is. I would however, recommend soy milk for various nutritional benefits. And go easy on the egg yolk,,

An egg a day sound unreasonable? I could tolerate an egg a day, turkey bacon, and a (Thomas') bagel with low fat peanut butter for breakfast! No low carb bagel. I tried it, and they suck (IMHO).

Well, I guess not an egg a day. Likely at least 4 or 5 days. Otherwise, the other 2 or 3 days would be Blueberry Morning type cereals (fruit and fiber type, no Honeycombs or sugar stuff). Although I will try oatmeal with some fruit mixed in. Maybt I can get 3 options for breakfast! :cool:

I add applesauce and/or raisins to oatmeal and it actually tastes pretty good. I've also heard of people adding protien powder to it to up the protein content, but I never tried it.

I add my morning oats to my MetRx or Myplaex Diet shake in the blender and that sets me up for my day.
Quality filling food thats quick and easy.

calories in oatmeal

to add to this, i had a quick question of my own about oatmeal. i was trying to figure out how many calories itwas but i never can understand whether i calculate the amount by how much oats or how much once it is cooked. If i'm taking regular quaker oatmeal, 1/2 cup mixed with water, does anyone know how many calories this is? thanks

The nutirents on the label are for whatever the suggested serving size is. For standard Quaker Oatmeal, the serving size is 1/2 cup, therefore all of the information on the nutrition label is dead on accurate for that size service. You multiply or divide based on the amount you make.

Or, use a nutrition software (there are many available for free on the web) that helps track calories and nutrition. The one I use has an option to add a food based on the nutrition label. Then when I input the actual amount I consumed, the software makes the necessary calculations to match the known ifnormation (that you entered from the label) with the current information of quantity consumed.

I know it is not dead on accurate, but it is pretty dang close! :)

I wouldn't recommend and egg a day....try substituting with egg whites once in a while...but I cannot recommend exactly how many eggs a week you SHOULD eat...I'm sure you could look it up ;)

I am not one to talk about breakfast though. I always have 2 toast (russian bread) with PB and a banana...and a couple times a week, I switch that up for egg whites with 2 toasts...I mostly eat whole eggs on either saturday or sunday...

I do eat oatmeal as an afternoon snack once in a while, but it doesn't taste all that bad to me. Do you like dried raisins or apricots? You could try those, they are quite sweet, so they would definitely add taste to your oats. A little sugar here and there won't make or break you, you just have to moderate :)

I have to agree that oatmeal is very boring (and not all that tasty on it's own). So, what I do, is mix in a package (or half) of that instant stuff. I nuke the regular oatmeal for about 45 sec and then add the instant stuff for another 30-40 secs ... now you have a much better tasting oatmeal without compromising the reason for eating it.

Eating healthy on a budget sucks. :(

I'd love to hook up with some EAS Myoplex protien powder and the like. Alas, I have not found the money tree. ;)

I love eggs, but it is obvious I need to replace them with more other stuff. I don't have the time to separate yolks and whites. Dried fruit mixed in is an idea I hadn't thought about in oats. I think I'd dig apricots more than raisins, but I should look for some other stuff too!

What are your thoughts on the EggBeaters (c) or other such products that are egg substitute?

Back