Weight-Loss Nutritional Help

Weight-Loss

BinaryData

Hey all! I just joined the forums, found this place while looking for other information. Let's get down to it!

I do fairly well on the exercising portion, at work I'm constantly walking. At previous jobs when I was allowed to wear a pedometer, I pushed nearly 10k - 15k per day, 4 - 5 days a week. I also exercise 30 minutes a day on my bicycle trainer (I'll be increasing the time by 15 minutes every 2 weeks, including the pressure). However, I suck at the dietary portion of being healthy.

I'm a Type-2 Diabetic, I'm fairly careful with my sugars, they range from 120s - 180s, depending on the day. On special occasions, I sometimes push it to 250s. I know, bad bad bad. But hey, birthdays, marriages, and friends returning home from 4+ years in the military deserve a few beers & cake. My doctor suggested I check out Alli, and have urged me to give it a try. I plan on trying it, however, I wanted to get the diet down first. I have a myriad of health problems, High-Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Chronic Sinus problems, as you can imagine, it's pretty taxing on the body.

Here's what my plan is, hoping you guys can help me balance it out.

Breakfast:
Scrambled eggs with a pinch of salt/pepper.
Greek Yogurt (Low Sugar)
Banana
Strawberries/Blueberries

or

Strawberry smoothie
Protein Powder
Spinach leaves (+stem)
Small scoop of frozen orange juice concentrate (no pulp)
V8 Fruit Juice (4oz or so)
Rest is water filled to the top of the strawberries to help defrost.

Lunch
Pretty much anything from a PBJ sandwich, an array of nuts, water/diet Pepsi, or Fast Food. Sometimes I'll crock pot a Southern Chicken n Gravy mix with brown rice, add carrots, peas, corn, and green beans. As a side will be cauliflower and broccoli.

Dinner
I generally skip this meal due to working nights. At working I'm constantly snacking on food.

My plans for Lunch are;

Small Salad
1/8th cup of cheese (or less)
baby corn
Dressing (Vinegarette)
Garbanzo beans
Red Kidney Beans
Unsalted Sunflower Seeds
Sliced Chicken, unseasoned.
Chunks of Ham if I don't have Chicken.

Drinks: Diet Pepsi, Water, or Tea.
Tea: Citrus & Oolong or Wild Raspberry Hibiscus (Breakfast/Lunch Drink), and dinner is Chamomile & lavender Herbal tea. (I add a small amount of stevia Pyure sugar to it)

Hoping y'all can help me get this done.

I am not a dietitian but when I see DM and fruit juice it makes me uneasy. Orange juice (or V8 fruit juice, for that matter) has about as much sugar per 100 ml as Coca Cola. Maybe you could add an apple or something to your smoothie instead? That would at least give you more fiber to slow down the absorption, plus apples are cheap and keep well if stored in a cool place.
I generally skip this meal due to working nights. At working I'm constantly snacking on food.
What kind of food do you snack on? I´m sure you know more about diabetes than I do but I seem to remember that constant snacking isn´t great for your insulin sensitivity, especially if they´re higher carb/highly processed snacks.
Other than that your plan doesn´t look bad to me, if a little light on veggies (unless you have the side of cauliflower or broccoli with your PB&J as well) . I´d probably slice up half a bell pepper to go with that egg scramble and maybe take some veggie sticks and hummus to work for one larger snack if I needed something to keep me going. More veggies = more volume = more satiation for very few calories

... I do fairly well on the exercising portion, at work I'm constantly walking.
Dinner
I generally skip this meal due to working nights. At working I'm constantly snacking on food. ....

there is a disconnect here you might not be seeing. all that exercise you are getting at work isn't getting to your problem (needing to burn fat) if you keep your insulin level high by your constant snacking. i am not about to give you advice since you are a diabetic, but you really need to discuss this habit with your doctor and alternately someone who understands nutrition.

.... However, I suck at the dietary portion of being healthy.

I'm a Type-2 Diabetic, I'm fairly careful with my sugars, they range from 120s - 180s, depending on the day. On special occasions, I sometimes push it to 250s. I know, bad bad bad. But hey, ....

i was sort of curious myself about the unit of measure used for sugar... "s" ...?

I'm guessing mg/dl. A blood sugar level less than 140 mg/dl is normal. A reading of more than 200 mg/dl after two hours indicates diabetes. A reading between 140 and 199 mg/dl indicates prediabetes.

Back