nutrition frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniellak

Hey. I am frustrated because I have weight to lose and no one can give me any advise that is useful. I went to see a nutritionist last year and it was a complete waste of money. She did not tell me anything I didn't know and had no idea what to suggest for me since I am a vegetarian. I do not eat fast food. I do not eat high fat foods most of the time. I am conscious of my portions. Does anyone have any little "tricks" that helped them drop weight?

Last edited:
Hi Daniellak

I had to lose alot of weight like yourself, what I did was start eating alot more salads, I didnt eat any fast food at all. I also ate alot of tuna, steak and chicken ( I guess those are outta the question for ya) and fruits and vegtables. Dont use veggie dips or butter they had alot of hidden calories. Drink lots of water it fills you up, so does the salad and they are both calorie free practically!!

Do you eat any other foods or are you limiting yourself because your a vegetarian, I would think being a vegetarian would be great for weight loss, well good luck to ya and choose the healthy foods and be sure to exercise and the weight will fly off!!

I've known vegetarians who consume no meat but still eat a lot of hidden fats and simple sugars and starches. I'd start with looking at your actual servings of vegetables--how many? How many different kinds and colors? How do you prepare them? Steamed with lemon, herbs, or salsa is great. Sauces usually aren't. Obviously, fried is worst.

Do you eat whole grains? Try some new ones, like quinoa, if you tend to eat "white" grains.

Do you eat dairy? If so, do you eat lowfat or fat free dairy?

Do you eat soy? If so, do you choose less fat versions?

Do you eat a lot of fruit? Some people eat way too much fruit (2-4 servings is probably ideal), and the fructose (fruit sugar) adds up.

Do you drink beverages that are sweetened? Sodas, fruit juices, energy drinks, etc. (and alcohol) can really add up.

There are a lot of fat vegetarians, but it can be a great and healthy way to go. Good luck.

that is something I had to learn for myself as well, that not all veggies and fruits are actually good for you. I mean they are in moderation, but there are the kind that are really good and healthy and then there are the other ones that you should be more careful, because they have a lot of sugar (fruit) or fat, starches etc (veggies).
RetroGirl already gave you some very good pointers and of course fitski is right when he mentions exercise, keep us posted and Good Luck!

I have read many of your post Daniella, and you sound like you are conscious of what you eat and excersize regularly with little successful results. We both have the same weight loss goal, and for me the weight is partially related to an under active thyroid that has recently been diagnosed. I am certainly not a doctor and its merely a suggestion, it if you have not already done so.
Our thryroid affects so much of body functioning not only our metabolism but our hormones, mood, skin/hair, heat/cold tolerance etc. Hypothyroidism can easily be detected with a blood test and can be easily maintained with a Rx.

Some info I got from a magazine I was reading just now that I thought might help you.

-Berries and nuts are good for preventing cravings.
-Whole grains help prevent your body from storing fat.
-All natural sugar free peanut butter and beans help your body burn fat and also help build muscle.

Also if you work out, anything with protein will be good for you. It helps build lean muscle and the more muscle you have the more calories you'll burn. :)

This thread is over 6 years old. I'm closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back