Weight-Loss Nutrition 101

Weight-Loss
I'd like to add this about sodium.

Easy Ways to Cut Sodium Intake
Lower Your Disease Risk by Reducing Your Salt Intake
-- By Nicole Nichols, Health Educator and Liz Noelcke, Staff Writer
You consume sodium every single day, and that's a good thing! Our bodies need sodium to help maintain water and mineral balances and blood volume. But too much of a good thing (sodium in this case) can have negative effects on your health, such as an increased risk for high blood pressure (which contributes to heart disease and stroke). While most of us get enough sodium each day to meet our bodies' needs (about 1,500 milligrams ), the average person consumes way too much! Experts recommend that adults consume less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium daily—that's about 1 teaspoon of salt.

Sodium is a mineral that occurs naturally in foods that you eat every day, including meats, nuts, grains, and dairy. Salt and sodium are not the same things—but salt is made from sodium (and chloride). What you might not realize, however, is that “hidden” sodium found in processed foods (in the form of salt) makes up the largest proportion of the sodium that adults consume (in addition to any salt that you add yourself).

Cutting back on sodium is one action you can take to reduce your risk of high blood pressure and its related complications. Keep in mind that your taste buds are probably accustomed to a strong taste of salt, so limiting your consumption might take a little getting used to, but your health is worth it! Here are some sodium-cutting tips you can try today:

* Introduce additional flavor to your foods with herbs and spices like garlic, oregano, basil, pepper, thyme and sesame. These all add flavor without the extra sodium. If a recipe calls for salt, cut the amount called for in half and taste it before adding more.

* Make healthy choices at the grocery store. Processed foods (anything in a box or bag) tend to be high in sodium because it helps preserve foods longer and increase flavor. Always read labels for the foods you buy, including the sodium content on the nutrition facts label and the ingredients list.

* Remember that "low-fat" or "low-calorie" doesn't mean healthy. These diet foods can also be higher in sodium because manufacturers hope that added sodium, a flavor-enhancer, will bring back the flavor that is missing since fat and other higher-calorie ingredients are removed. This is especially true for frozen dinners, which are often loaded with extra salt.

* Choose low-, no- or reduced-sodium versions of your favorite soups, frozen meals, canned foods, and snacks. Even butter is available without added salt!

* Choose fresh or frozen veggies over canned varieties, which often contain added salt to help increase shelf life. If you can't find sodium-free varieties of canned vegetables, rinse the can's contents in a colander under water before cooking to remove excess salt.

* Olives, pickles and other items packed in brine are saturated in salt, as are many smoked and cured meats, like salami and bologna. Limit your intake of these high-sodium foods and be on the lookout for lower-sodium varieties.

* Fast foods are high in more things than just fat. Many of these meals, sandwiches and fries contain more than your daily recommended intake of sodium in just one serving. When consulting restaurant websites to make healthy choices, pay attention to sodium levels as well. By keeping your portions in check (order a junior burger or small French fry instead of the big burgers and super fries) will help control your sodium (and caloric) intake.

The chart below lists common salty foods. Notice how quickly sodium can add up with just a few foods!

Food

Baking soda 1 tsp =1,259 mg
Mini pretzels 10 minis = 1,029 mg
Soy sauce 1 Tbsp = 902 mg
Frozen pepperoni pizza 1 serving = 902 mg
Dill pickle 1 medium = 883 mg
Frozen chicken pot pie 1 serving = 857 mg
Shredded cheddar cheese 1 cup = 702 mg
Baking powder 1 tsp =488 mg
Hamburger 1 sandwich = 474 mg
Sauerkraut 1/2 cup = 469 mg
Canned peas 1 cup = 428 mg
Ham 1 slice = 373 mg
Biscuit 1 whole= 304 mg
Bacon 1 slice = 303 mg
Salted mixed nuts 1/4 cup = 205 mg
Ketchup 1 Tbsp = 190 mg
Hard salami 1 slice =186 mg
White bread 1 slice = 170 mg
Mustard 1 Tbsp = 168 mg
Potato chips 1 ounce = 168 mg
Saltine crackers 5 crackers = 161 mg
Tortilla chips 1 ounce = 150 mg
Italian salad dressing 1 Tbsp = 116 mg
Salted butter 1 Tbsp= 82 mg

Last edited:
Processed foods, like the frozen "low cal" dinners and soups are the biggest sources of sodium in the average person's diet...

Thanks for such a nice information. This thread has reflect the ideal nutrition that a person should take. nice work

OMG-I'm soooo confused. I'm just starting my journey and was told to record EVERYTHING I eat, measure with a scale so I don't ingest extra calories and use a formula to determine how many carbs, fat, protein to eat. I have no idea how to do any of this and am a bit intimidated. I've never counted calories, don't have a food scale and am totally ignorant to this idea of 30% fat-30% protein-40% carbs. HELP!!!!!

How do I know what's in food I eat that I don't cook myself? I saw some restaurants listed on a calorie counting site but I don't eat at any of those-I live in the SW and most of ours aren't listed. UGGGHHHH

Thanks for all the useful info...it can become so very overwhelming with all the do's and don't's everywhere. :)

I know this thread is pretty old, but I thought I'd respond to a couple posts anyway in case somebody else still had the same questions.

While I'm here, I have a question about fiber--these 100 calorie popcorn packs of mine apparently have great amounts of fiber, but it's popcorn, not exactly a vegetable (unless the fact that it's corn...) Does this make the popcorn a good snack to eat? Or is it still pretty much empty calories?

Popcorn is an excellent snack, except for the fact that people tend to load it up with butter and cheese. It even counts as whole grain.
danab said:
OMG-I'm soooo confused. I'm just starting my journey and was told to record EVERYTHING I eat, measure with a scale so I don't ingest extra calories and use a formula to determine how many carbs, fat, protein to eat. I have no idea how to do any of this and am a bit intimidated. I've never counted calories, don't have a food scale and am totally ignorant to this idea of 30% fat-30% protein-40% carbs. HELP!!!!!
A food scale is a good thing to have. You ought to get one. If you don't have one you can usually measure by the cup or some other measure, or make an estimate. For example, you probably know about what size a quarter pound hamburger is. A quarter pound is 4 ounces. To count calories, use an online journal like Fitday.com, Sparkpeople.com, my-calorie-counter.com, or the USDA mypyramidtracker.gov. These will tell you the proportion of fat, protein and carbohydrates.

Last edited:
There are so many great tips posted here! WOW! I agree with all the posts! Consuming less calories per day is most definitely the way to go. On average for women you should not take in more than 1200 per day and for men no more than 1500 per day - that's if you want to lose. You definitely will lose this way. Possibly have a look at how you are combining your meals and how often you are eating. Have fun slimming down rather than depriving yourself of what you really like.

Saying that you need to ensure your body is getting the vitamins an minerals it is lacking from cutting down. in addition to that, our bodies don't really get the right amount of vitamins and minerals from eating normally anyway. I am suggesting taking a good vitamin and mineral supplement regardless of what it is you want to achieve.

I have lost quite a bit of weight (100kgs to 70kgs) and kept it off and I have done this by having a Herbalife protein shake in the morning mixed with apple juice and ginger (very delish) I have that for lunch too but possibly another recipe like Strawberry and cucumber shake (also great!!). I have fruit throughout the day and maybe a snack bar. in the evenings i make a low-fat dinner of my choice and I just watch what i put in it but still manage to have fun cooking and making delicious meals. Be creative :)

I am not huge into exercise however I take a brisk walk each morning. That's great for the 'love handles!' However 'They Say' that you should change your regime periodically because someone who does the same activity all the time is likely to plateau much sooner than someone who varies her workouts. Just as you can get bored by always doing the same exercises, your body can also adapt to these exercises so that they don't offer the same benefits that they once did. A little variety might be just the thing you need to get the scale moving again or bust through that strength plateau. "Variety" means either changing something about your current routine (adding speed, distance, hills, resistance, etc.) or trying a totally different activity. If you like some consistency and don't want to change your workout each time you hit the gym, change your routine at least every 4-8 weeks (this includes incorporating changes to both your cardio and strength training exercises). This will keep your muscles challenged, your body guessing, and the results coming!

I have just written an e-book '7 Days To A Better Body' which has great recipes and ideas for healthy weight loss.

Saying that, it all starts with us. Our responsibility is to educate our children. Many parents would give anything to get their children to eat whole foods? So whats's the plan?

Understanding what food is nutritious enough to serve our children and then how we serve it up, to make it attractive, makes all the difference in the world.

The truth of the matter is that children are mini adults therefore they too have motivating factors to inspire them to eat healthy foods. Adults are in some way more stubborn than children, ironically however these five factors are true of all of us.

1) Tasty choices. Many kids love plums, pears, watermelon, peaches, raspberries, blackberries, tangerines, cherries, blueberries, strawberries, and pineapples and it’s far too often kids’ fruit alternatives are restricted to only apples and bananas, and maybe oranges and grapes too. Try corn bran, Spoon-Sized Shredded Wheat, or oatmeal with fresh berries. Instead of crackers or toast made from white flour try bran crispbread as a snack especially whole-grain pancakes, children love these. Children will develop their tastes the sooner they start in this direction. Butter on green beans makes them a lot tastier so during the preschool years, make butter a treat for vegetables. Raw carrot sticks go down very well because of the “crunch,” many kids like all by themselves.

2) The limitation factor. If there are healthy foods readily available, children will pick their favorites from amongst those healthy choices.

3) Presentation needs to be FUN. Multimillion-dollar advertising campaigns compete against us all the time when we are deciding what to feed our children. TV doesn’t always help either because there are many commercials that promote sweetened breakfast cereals which while reaching their right audience, sweetened cereals are not as healthy as the unsweetened variety. Add fruit to cereals which would take place of the ‘sweetners’. Where are the commercials for fresh fruit and veggies? That job is left to us to promote. Children love shapes and things more interesting in color. Preschool children often love food that is shaped like a clown, a face, favorite hero or cartoon character or even a dinosaur etc. Processed macaroni is manufactured this way because it sells. How do we make healthy food as appealing as the empty or harmful alternatives? Try a whole-grain pancake with a strawberry for a nose, kiwi slices for eyes, and banana for the mouth. Stand corn on the cob up right when serving it (pretend it’s a rocket ship), decorate food in ways that children can ‘see something else’ besides a plate full of veggies – think like a preschool child – let your imagination run.

4) If that happens to fail, be a sneak and sneak it in. Make carrot muffins with zucchini bread. Add pieces of fruit or shaved vegetables to virtually any baked dish. While dried fruit is high in sugar, it is also high in fiber so dried cranberries can be a hit. Kids love smoothies! A great way to hide fruit and vegetables is in whole-food smoothies and juices. The Sneaky Chef and Deceptively Delicious are two recently published cookbooks that offer more ideas on how to hide the healthy stuff!

5) Multivitamins are essential. In this day and age so many foods are processed so give a daily multivitamin as a safety net. Vitamins are compounds necessary in trace amounts for the normal functioning of children and adults alike.

I have great respect for the longstanding relationship between humans and their natural foods. By eating whole foods (fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains, etc.), your child can get the necessary vitamins in the healthiest way.

In order to see the world around us we need these vitamins to grow as they help bones and connective tissue to grow, stop us from bleeding to death, heal wounds, fight infections and cancer, and keep our teeth from falling out.

As we know most preschoolers and toddlers are often picky eaters. As children’s tastes change as they grow, and they do eventually get to eating a more well-rounded diet. So vitamins (the “safety net”) takes the pressure off feeding issues during the primary years. You can be free to be creative about increasing whole foods in your child’s diet, knowing that vitamins are present to help your child grow strong and healthy without pressure or worry.

Now that we have mass advertising, children’s fun meals, and peer pressure makes the battle all the harder. Never push or force them, entice them, persuade them and most importantly teach them. Battle bad nutrition rather. The battle should never be

Consuming less calories per day is most definitely the way to go. On average for women you should not take in more than 1200 per day and for men no more than 1500 per day - that's if you want to lose. You definitely will lose this way.

Where in the heck did you get those numbers from? You really can't give numbers like that cause everyone is different. Without knowing anything about me, do you really think I should not eat more than 1500 a day and be ok?

Let me put it this way..I'm 374, 35, male, desk job and 6'2". I need roughly 3714 calories a day to maintain. You are telling me to cut about 2200 a day. Lose 4-5 pounds a week. That is unhealthy.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for distribution this. Absolutely great - but superior info to know!
First, extremely well researched article, thank you!

In response to Jericho

I appreciate your comments here:
Where in the heck did you get those numbers from? You really can't give numbers like that cause everyone is different. Without knowing anything about me, do you really think I should not eat more than 1500 a day and be ok?

Let me put it this way..I'm 374, 35, male, desk job and 6'2". I need roughly 3714 calories a day to maintain. You are telling me to cut about 2200 a day. Lose 4-5 pounds a week. That is unhealthy.

I was by no means telling you what you should do to lose weight as that would be presumptuous of me to say the least. What I was saying (and maybe should have worded it differently) is that it is a known fact that if you consume less than the required daily calories then 'you', men and women, will lose weight. How individuals decide how they go about doing this and depending on individual situation and circumstance will determine if it is a healthy or unhealthy decision to make.

I am by no means a doctor so will never 'tell' people how to lose weight but instead i promote healthy living and healthy eating for those wanting to lose, gain or maintain their weight. I promote lifestyle choices.

In reference to my article my site also mentions that the information that I discuss is not for everyone however I advise the public that they take and benefit the points that suit them best and leave those that don't.

The web and forums are not designed to have 'Blog wars' because of the very point you made, I don't know you and everyone is different'. Blogs are designed to share view points. No one will please everyone all the time.

I have great success in my business and have helped many people better their lifestyles through healthy eating and exercise. I urge you to only take in information that will be of benefit to you and suit your personal circumstance. There is plenty of information on my site that I have no doubt you will enjoy.

I hope my response has cleared this matter up and I do apologize if you were offended by my advice in any way.

Regards

Totally agree! I hate when people say "women should eat 1200 calories to lose weight, and men 1500 calories". Ridiculous, unfounded numbers.

Scientific investigation of the metabolism of nutritional and physiological responses of the body to diet. With the continuous advancement of the field, molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics increasingly concerned about nutrition and metabolism and metabolic pathways: sequence of steps, through its biochemical substances in biological changes from one form to another.

I started dieting this week, and have been mainly eating proteins, salad i.e. Dark green leaves, vegetables and fruit and very very little white flour products, is this ok?

I know veges and salads, etc have carbs. I have read somehwereour body starts breaking down muscle if we dont eat enough carbs. Im really confused, could someone please explain

Great information that you share, i really love your post this could be so helpful one,,,
Thank for sharing it to us here..

how do i read all the posts made by Maleficent? the introduction is visible but not the rest of the article. =(

Back