Weight-Loss Nutrition 101

Weight-Loss
In the first post by maleficent (Overview - Eating well) is a link at the top. Click it, and it will bring you to the article on Sparkpeople. The other parts (the ones that were removed) can be found on the top right, next to the article, under 'Nutrition Reference Guide'.

Originally Posted by BiancaV88

how do i read all the posts made by Maleficent? the introduction is visible but not the rest of the article. =(

Too much of everything is bad. Moderation is the key in eating. Most people when hears the word "diet" they associate the word with "restriction of food". But the truth is "diet is the kind of food that a person habitually eats". The food we intake either nourish or deprive our body with nutrients. We only have one body, it is ours to keep and we have a choice, whether we take care of it or abuse it.

What a great post! It is informative and interesting to read. You did a great job sharing to us what you know about nutrition and health. We can find all sorts of information here. Keep it up!

Plant sources of protein include legumes (dried beans, peas, and lentils), nuts, and seeds. Grain products such as barley, wheat, millet, rye, as well as many vegetables have smaller amounts of protein. These plant sources are all INCOMPLETE proteins because they do not contain all of the nine essential amino acids that the body needs.

It is possible to still get your complete proteins without eating animal products. Luckily, the essential amino acids present in one plant food can “connect” with the essential amino acids in another plant food to form a complete protein. This is the principle of a healthy vegetarian diet. There is no need for combining specific foods at each meal, as once thought. Your body can make its own complete proteins if you eat a variety of plant foods and eat enough calories throughout the day. ...

this is an ancient string, but feeling this might be overlooked, i thought important enough to repeat... while most meat products contain complete proteins, most plants do not. one very simple example i see at Mexican restaurants all the time... when i hear someone say that they just want rice or just want beans, they are cheating themselves... beans are low in methionine and high in lysine, while rice is low in lysine and high in methionine. each alone will give you some carbs for energy, but only together will they provide the quantity of essential amino acids for a complete protein.

Popcorn is a whole grain, funnily enough. As long as it´s airpopped and not doused in sugar or oil/butter it´s quite a decent snack. It has some B-vitamins, iron, magnesium... the kind of thing you´d expect from whole grains. Whether or not it meets your specific needs and wants is up to you, of course.

yeah, but doesn't it also indicate how fast sugar is absorbed? the insulin spike you get after ingesting the more complex sugars is said to be responsible for the subsequent crash triggering a huge hunger episode. medically you have a point, but psychologically, it's a tough situation i try my best to avoid.

gi sugars.jpg

I don´t have a problem with it, but everyone is different. Love my (pop)corn cakes and they keep me full a good long time if I have them with protein.

since changing my diet, I have popcorn every night and I have not had issues craving more food afterwards.

Back