Not losing weight postpartum- I am desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyV

First of all, I am new to this forum and so happy I found it :) I'm hoping I can find people here that understand how I feel and have advice for me. As loving and supportive as my husband is, he just doesn't 100% understand how it feels.

Here's my story. I am 22 and had a beautiful baby girl almost 6 months ago. I stopped nursing after 4 months because my milk supply went down and I couldn't get it back up. I was suffering from hyperemesis and very sick during my pregnancy. The first 4 months I only gained 1lb, once I was finally on nausea meds I suddenly gained 30lbs in a month, even though I still barely ate anything. At the end, I gained almost 50 lbs, I went from my normal 107 to 155 lbs. I know this may not be a lot to other people (so please don't comment that) but to me it is, 50 lbs is a lot to gain.
I lost about 20lbs the first month postpartum, and then got stuck at 135lbs.

I have been eating super healthy (I always do), drink a lot of water and have been going to the gym regularly, but I haven't lost any weight at all. Today I stepped on the scale and actually gained 5lbs!!! In 1 week! And it's not muscle weight because I am way past the stage of regaining my muscle weight.

I am just absolutely hopeless. And desperate. I feel like nothing I do is working and it's SO demotivating. I'm a person that lives healthy and knows about health but I just can't figure this out and it's beginning to depress me. I realize I may not get my body back exactly the way it was but I at least want to be around the same weight again. Is there anyone that can help me, has been through the same or has any idea what's going on? Could it be a hormone thing? I am a desperate momma!

It could be a hormone thing. It could also be a number of different things (you may also want to check with a doctor). With my first child I was sleep deprived and had postpartum depression - that made it almost impossible for me to loose weight. This time around (my baby is 6 months old now) I am not dealing with either of those problems and the weight loss is going much better.
What kind of workouts are you doing? You will want to be doing cardio as well as resistance training.
It might also help to change your focus to being a healthy role model for your family as you do have control over that, where you don't really have control over how much weight you loose and when. That way - your weight loss will be a byproduct of your other goal rather than your main goal.

It could be a hormone thing. It could also be a number of different things (you may also want to check with a doctor). With my first child I was sleep deprived and had postpartum depression - that made it almost impossible for me to loose weight. This time around (my baby is 6 months old now) I am not dealing with either of those problems and the weight loss is going much better.
What kind of workouts are you doing? You will want to be doing cardio as well as resistance training.
It might also help to change your focus to being a healthy role model for your family as you do have control over that, where you don't really have control over how much weight you loose and when. That way - your weight loss will be a byproduct of your other goal rather than your main goal.

Thank you for your reply! I'm doing mostly cardio and then a little bit of weights to strengthen my muscles. I did go to the doctor this week to get my thyroid checked so I'm curious to see what the results will be.
I am not sleep deprived at all (luckily my daughter is a dream baby and has been sleeping through the night since she was 8 weeks) but I am dealing with some mild postpartum depression. I would love to hear more about your experience and how you got through it, and if you ever lost the pregnancy weight after your first baby! Losing weight is not the most important thing in my life right now but it has definitely been a source of frustration lately :)

For the postpartum depression I attended talk therapy sessions with other moms in the same situation. It was a once a week program put on by my health region (I think that was the main thing for me overcoming the depression!) I also was rejected for a light therapy session (didn't meet the criteria) but was given the advice to get at least 30 minutes of sunlight from outside a day, I improved my eating habits and I registered and attended mom and baby fitness classes.
I wasn't able to lose all my pregnancy weight the first time, but I am back at my prepregnancy weight of my second child. I am confident that I will be back at my goal weight soon - I have also found affermations and motivational sayings to be helpful.
It is very frustrating - I know what you mean!! It will happen, not always as fast as we would like, but if you are determined - you will get there!

For the postpartum depression I attended talk therapy sessions with other moms in the same situation. It was a once a week program put on by my health region (I think that was the main thing for me overcoming the depression!) I also was rejected for a light therapy session (didn't meet the criteria) but was given the advice to get at least 30 minutes of sunlight from outside a day, I improved my eating habits and I registered and attended mom and baby fitness classes.
I wasn't able to lose all my pregnancy weight the first time, but I am back at my prepregnancy weight of my second child. I am confident that I will be back at my goal weight soon - I have also found affermations and motivational sayings to be helpful.
It is very frustrating - I know what you mean!! It will happen, not always as fast as we would like, but if you are determined - you will get there!

Thank you so much- this made me feel a lot better! I go outside for a walk every day and going to therapy as of next week so I hope that will help. Your reply really gave me some hope, so thank you for that :)

You're very welcome! You seem to be very determined and focused - so I feel that you will be able to do accomplish this goal!

My favorite saying for myself to keep me motivate is "I am an active and healthy role model for my family." If you can think of something like that to repeat to yourself - even if it isn't true yet, you will become what you tell yourself you are. :) :) :)

It takes time. Your doing GREAT!

I understand what your going through. Your doing great with losing weight. From what I know and heard from doctors is that it takes 9 months to gain all the weight so it usually takes twice as long to lose it. And i personally have expeirenced myself. My son is 16months old and just today I have finally reached my prepregnancy weight. Literally today!!! Its been 16 months. I will admit ive been on and off with working out and eating right due to moving so much. But recently I have been so serious and Im trying to lose more weight but slowly because losing it fast in thepast has never worked for me to keep it off long term. I also have a bodybugg. Google it. Its great motivation for me! I love it and has helped me so much. Its a great weightloss tool! Dont get down if your not losing it fast enough. It takes time. You'll get there!

I think it's maybe a good idea to consult your doctor. There maybe something wrong with your weight. try to keep your healthy eating and exercise more. You can actually lose 4 pounds in a week if you follow the right diet and exercise plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back