Nika's Journal

Hey guys,

So i am going to start off this post by saying that i feel like the absolute biggest dork in the universe with starting my own thread. I have started a food journal a couple times and each time have failed to continue using it when my usual lack of motivation starts to show its ugly face around my neck of the woods. Im hoping that maybe putting it online will keep my motivation up and make me feel more obligated to keep track of things. Plus, all of you guys in here are doing the same thing so i guess im really not THAT crazy for doing it. ah well.

I am 20 years old and a student studying kinesiology. I played sports and danced my entire life and never really kept track of how much i ate or worked out because i never had to with having practices every single day. Then college came and boy, has the story changed. I was always not the smallest person in the world being that i was usually the tallest person in my grade since any of us little tykes started growing at all. I have never been able to wear anything and pull it off and never had to think twice about exercise or eating because it wasnt something i really thought about. I played sports and was a three season athlete all through high school. Then my senior year of high school happened, i transferred schools and joined the cross country team. In order for anyone on my cross country team to place in the 5k races, and we had some really talented runners, we needed to have 5 people on the team. Me, always the girl to be up for anything and ready to try new things, decided well hey, you guys dont have a volleyball team, i guess ill join! And so i did. At first i hated it. The other sports i had done the rest of my life had programmed me to think that running was punishment. Ask me to run a mile then and i would want to cry. But when the day came at cross country practice that i realized that i had just run 5 miles without stopping or thinking twice about it, i was super stoked. I had lost 15 pounds that year. It was AWESOME.

Then that summer, being that i have always had a weight that fluctuates like no other, i gained it allll back. I was a lifeguard and we all just sat around and ate. This isnt so unusual because i always am heavier in the summer. Summer=no schedule to keep=bored eating=nika being a fatty=nika gaining weight. It just bad news.

Going to college, my first college that is, i had a great routine. Wake up at the same time every day, class, lunch, class, gym, dinner, homework, watch the news at 11, and then sleep. It was also AWESOME. I lost the weight i had put on that summer (needless to say, i also got the flu twice that year) and i realized it was all because of my routine! Routine is amazing i need one at all times in my life or else i can stick to no sort of commitment ive made to myself. But after that year, i transferred to another college because i hated the school that i was at. This second school, however was even worse news than the summer. On top of the usual weight gain i have during the summer (which by the way makes no sense since i am wearing a bathing suit then and need to be SMALLER, woe is me) being here, although i love it here, i have gained 23 pounds more than i was at my senior year of high school. GROSS!

I wouldnt call myself any sort of partier so i cant call i a beer belly that i have, but i certainly have accrued one. well, thats a lie, its not just a belly, i gain weight all over. But still. Since then, i have had an ever going battle against this fatness. This brings me to now.

Six months ago i signed up for a ten mile race. I was totally psyched about doing it and had been what i will call "training" aka running but still eating a hella lot so not actually losing any weight. I could run about 5 miles and had a month left before the race and then, like the big ol' idiot i am, sprained my ankle pretty badly. Dont ask about the sprain. It involves a sorority disney themed social, a pair of high heels, and a wet floor. I sprained my three outside ligaments and even possibly tore one of them. Its been lovely. That was a month ago and this morning was my race, which my roommate and friends ran in and i, sadly, did not.

Needless to say, i have been sitting around staying off of it for the past month and it hasnt helped my fattness level. Plus, i live in a sorority house and while we have a chef who cooks our food, it isnt always the healthiest stuff and lets be real here, im a broke college student so ill take what i can get. The other day, though, i came to the realization that being that i am a kinesiology major and am most likely going to be going into personal training, athletic training, physical therapy, coaching or some sort of sports/exercise related activity, i should probably whip my ass into shape so that i can actually get some clients. I have always thinking i would do those things, but with the business of college and everything, ive let my own fitness slip. Seeing as i study fitness EVERY SINGLE DAY of my life, its pretty sad that this is where i am at, but hey, i guess you gotta start somewhere!

So here i am, starting my own thread to try to keep myself motivated. Its pretty hard to do it with a still healing ankle. But here it goes.

I am 5'9, 170lbs, and athletically built. Cant say i know what my percent body fat is but hey, this next week in my exercise physiology lab we're going to be testing that. YAYYY for having my entire class watch me get my fat pinched. NOT.

Today ive eaten:
-one container greek yogurt with granola (probs should have measured this but i just eyeballed it)
-5 squares (2x2inch) of pizza with a side salad (a perfect example of sorority house living)
Im going to try not to snack too much later, but its hard in this house. PLUS, im a complusive, bored eater and have an addiction to food.

I also just went to the gym for the second time since my accident. I did the bike for a half hour and tried the elliptical for the first time and did that for a half hour. Both things kinda hurt a little, but nothing to be concerned about. Im glad that i can do those two things at this point in my recovery because its been a long one.

Im stoked to be getting back into getting fit and i hope i can get back to where i was even though there are a lot of exercises i cant do yet. I guess i just figure now is just the start of a long journey that its going to take to be back where i want to be.

I guess thats all for now. I should probably go study for the exercise physiology lab where i get subjected to the lovely public torture of plastic body fat calipers. Hah. My life is a joke.

:)

Back