newbie with a question

I was just recently turned onto the idea of HIIT and my question is whether or not HIIT is good for aerobic activity or is it mainly for fat loss.

I need to lose a few pounds, but I am more interested in creating my longevity. I have always had a prob. with running and this seems to be a great way to get it done in a short time just need to know if it is right for me.

thanks

firephil

What do you mean by "creating your longevity"?

I think firephil meant "increasing my longevity". For a straight heart workout, which is what you're going to be doing if you want to increase your lifespan, is endurance cardio training, not HIIT.

Or such is the impression I have. HIIT exists primarily to utilize/train particular energy-producing systems in the body (in the case of these forums, most people are targetting the fat producing system of the body - the oxidative system - with 1:1 - 1:3 rest/activity ratios).

Endurance cardio keeps you at your respiratory and cardiovascular limit for extended periods of time not only increasing your VO2-Max (oxygen capacity) but strengthening your heart at the same time.

Back