newbie wanting abs and a bit of chest

im new, and while im not lazy, im not looking into diets and machines and 100% definition and all. im 5'10" and a feathery ~115 lbs. *stop laughing :D*

ive been doing crunches and pushups for about a month, about every other night *sometimes 4 in a row and 1 off or 2 and 2 off and so on*:
~50 crunches
20 pushups
~35 crunches
10 more pushups

its working alright, but you guys are fitness experts, ims ure this first time trial isnt the best i could be doing. im basically looking for abdomenal definition and a bit of chest definition. being this skinny, it doesnt take much. what would you guys recommend?

too bad the electronic stimulation doesnt work :mad: :D

anyone?

I had the opposite problem...I was fat, big, huge. One day I started working out. I couldn't do two crunches, I swear to God. I got cramps bad doing five crunches when I could. Then one week I was up to 10 crunches. Then two sets of 10. Then 2 sets of 20.

Pow! One day, I took off my shirt and looked the mirror, and I had abs! Granted, they look funny and I'm trying to figure out why in another post. But there they were!

Because I was fat, I think that I was crunching a lot more weight. You weigh 115. I weighed 263, and believe me there was a lot of blubber to crunch there.

Maybe try crunches with a weight on your chest? And fuel yourself well. Spend a lazy afternoon at a bookstore like Barnes and Noble with a notepad and read up on proper form. Make notes and force yourself to maintain proper form during your crunches. Look into protein shakes. Buy a huge bag of peanuts.

Do you do any other exercises but crunches and pushups? Warm up with a jog. Go biking or hiking.

Just my two pennies.

Hey guys,

See the thing is that if you do have fat around your abs, doing even 1000 crunches will definately give you very strong abs, BUT you will not see them because of the fat. Spot reducing does not work, so do not think that by doing 1000 crunches you will get rid of the fat. The only thing to do to rid the fat is aerobic workouts, workouts where you sweat the fat away.

As far as for gaining weight, diet is VERY very crucial. You have to be eating more calories then you burn, and getting at least 1g of protein per DESIRED body weight.

Hope that helps,

Roman

How does one determine how much protien you should be taking in to maintain the body weight you would like? or does that help?

Back