New Vegetarian, Trying to be vegan

Hey everyone!!!
I've recently started being a vegetarian! And I'm LOVING IT! Leats lots of beans for proteins, lots of greens, whole grains...my body feels like a new one. No more rotting flesh inside me bowels, feels great to even think that!! =)

I want to go vegan, but I'm taking one step at a time. I've given up meat, fish and eggs. But I'm still drinking some skim milk with my cereal. Which I will be replacing soon with soy/rice milk!

I need some advice and ideas!!

Any good vegetarian diet cook books you know of?? Please let me know!! Haha this is exciting...sucks though (and good at the same time) I barely have any options to eat except a garden salad when I'm eating out :p hahaha ....good for diet but dunno :p

I'm not much for cookbooks, but other vegans have told me that Veganomicon is really comprehensive cookbook with a lot of practical recipes as well as more complicated ones.

Since you're a new vegan you might want to make sure that any cookbooks you buy also contain nutritional info on what foods are good sources of what minerals...seems like it would be very useful in forming meals.

Best of luck to you!

I used to be a vegan and I own the Veganomicon. It's a great book (huge) with a load of recipes. I really like it because some other books have loads of processed fake cheeses etc, but this book sticks to 'normal' ingredients.

ooo how exciting for you!I'm glad you're enjoying being vegie,it's a good diet-I like it very much :D I also like the idea of becoming vegan to!Taking it slowly is a good idea,you then get a feel for the things you like and the things you're not so keen on.I wasn't keen on soya milk for ages,but it's well and truly grown on me now! :D
There are so many alternatives you can use instead of dairy and meat, so you don't feel like you're missing huge things in your diet!Such as vegan cheese,yougurt,tofu (lovely in stir frys,you can even use it for sweet desserts to!) I love lentals for bases of pasta sauces and curries,adding lots of lovely spices to things to!
I'm researching some good vegan cook books to,and I'll post up a couple that look yum when I find them! :D

Hey. I recently changed to being vegetarian, and am considering veganism, but am concerned about weight loss, as although I don't eat many refined carbohydrates, my carb intake is up loads without the meat of protein, and I am not sure this will help me lose weight. I am interested in your thoughts?

X

Hey. I recently changed to being vegetarian, and am considering veganism, but am concerned about weight loss, as although I don't eat many refined carbohydrates, my carb intake is up loads without the meat of protein, and I am not sure this will help me lose weight. I am interested in your thoughts?

X

Vegan, carnivore or omnivore..it comes down you how many calories you take in against how many out. You still can overeat on veggies (it's just a little harder)

Glad you enjoying your new lifstyle as a vegitarian!

If you want optimal results in terms of muscle gain you have to be a bit more educated in nutrtion than some1 who is relying in part upon animal based foods for proteins..

Here are some example of plant based foods complimentary in their amino acid content and eating such foods together gives you a far more efficient blend of amino acid:

Cereal (whole grain) +Milk

Pasta + Cheese

Whole grain bread + Cheese

Black beans + brown rice

Pita + split pea soup

Corn tortillas + red or black beans

Peanuts + kidney beans

Chick peas + tahini (as hummus)

Are you vegetarian now for health or ethical reasons? I commend anybody who makes a commitment toward health or ethics!

Last edited:
Rotting flesh inside the bowels! ouch it's sadly true and disgusting to just think of it like that but it's true.

Vegetarians tend to be more carb heavy in their daily intake. Just watch out for carb rich foods and keep an eye on it.

Hey everyone!!!
I've recently started being a vegetarian! And I'm LOVING IT! Leats lots of beans for proteins, lots of greens, whole grains...my body feels like a new one. No more rotting flesh inside me bowels, feels great to even think that!! =)

I want to go vegan, but I'm taking one step at a time. I've given up meat, fish and eggs. But I'm still drinking some skim milk with my cereal. Which I will be replacing soon with soy/rice milk!

I need some advice and ideas!!

Any good vegetarian diet cook books you know of?? Please let me know!! Haha this is exciting...sucks though (and good at the same time) I barely have any options to eat except a garden salad when I'm eating out :p hahaha ....good for diet but dunno :p
Oh she glows, How not to die cookbook, the china study cookbook, the vegan student cookbook etc

Back