New twist in athlete gender case

I read about that in the paper this morning. It has to be said though that these aren't offical findings as the tests haven't been completed.
The athlete won't be told the results for another couple of months so the newspaper that printed this should be ashamed as the poor girl would almost certainly have been unaware of her condition and for a teenager to find out about something like that through a leaked report in a newspaper must have been crushing for her. No wonder she pulled out. I saw on the news tonight that she's gone into hiding in her home town through embarrassment

I read about that in the paper this morning. It has to be said though that these aren't offical findings as the tests haven't been completed.
The athlete won't be told the results for another couple of months so the newspaper that printed this should be ashamed as the poor girl would almost certainly have been unaware of her condition and for a teenager to find out about something like that through a leaked report in a newspaper must have been crushing for her. No wonder she pulled out. I saw on the news tonight that she's gone into hiding in her home town through embarrassment

I think it is awful too. She was doing something she enjoyed and as you said, I don't think she would have been aware of this being it is usually something decided for them (the baby) at birth....

What I think makes it also troubling is that they act as if it is a "condition" they can "fix" if necessary. S/he is who s/he is and that is the bottom line....Now this poor gal, is going to suffer thru this in the eyes of the world....

I think it is awful too. She was doing something she enjoyed and as you said, I don't think she would have been aware of this being it is usually something decided for them (the baby) at birth....

I was reading a lot about this at the time and it's very possible that she only ever had 'lady parts' externally, she could also have a womb and ovaries but have XY chromosomes. She might even have Ovotestes which produce eggs and sperm. There are hundreds of variations of hermaphrodite, sometimes the genotype and phenotype are conflicting so there would never have been anyway for her family to have known

I think those with chromosomal abnormalities are barred from competition.

Abnormal test levels with no other indicators of chromosomal abnormalities or positive steroid use should be allowed to compete.

I was reading a lot about this at the time and it's very possible that she only ever had 'lady parts' externally, she could also have a womb and ovaries but have XY chromosomes. She might even have Ovotestes which produce eggs and sperm. There are hundreds of variations of hermaphrodite, sometimes the genotype and phenotype are conflicting so there would never have been anyway for her family to have known

Yeah, it's a strange thing but, it's not like someone did it intentionally. It ust happens......

I think those with chromosomal abnormalities are barred from competition.

Abnormal test levels with no other indicators of chromosomal abnormalities or positive steroid use should be allowed to compete.

Really? I didn't think they had a rule about that.....Has something like this happened before? I guess that would be the determining factor.....

There is an who despite passing a gender test, was deported, abused and driven to attempted suicide. That athlete had a similar situation to Semenya but the situation was a bit of a culture shock judging by her treatment.

Here is saying South Africa should have withdrawn the athlete from the games. How come he did not ask the US athletics authorities to withdraw a certain Flo-Jo when she started getting a deep voice/masculine characteristics and also some athlete said he had sold her HGH? Double standards for Carl Lewis or different strokes for different folks ?

being a man (or being both, whatever) and taking GH are two different things.
Everyone takes GH, not everyone is a girl but really a man.

being a man (or being both, whatever) and taking GH are two different things.
Everyone takes GH, not everyone is a girl but really a man.

However the world record was set by Flo-Jo and the likes of Carl Lewis knew her circumstances fully and he only wrote of the controversy in his book. If Flo-Jo were to be found guilty of a doping offence, her record would be stripped and she would suffer the same fate and Ben Johnson.

I would think of Carl Lewis as a hypocrite for effectively doing nothing on Flo-Jo but now blaming the South African authorities over Semenya. Not everyone takes HGH to the point of speaking like a beauty queen one year and developing a deep voice and muscular features the next and then sweeping the Olympics clean.

yeah, that's a good point. If he and the sporting authorities (whoever they are) knew about it before she competed and said nothing, then he can't really expect anyone else to do it for anything cheating related.

I would think of Carl Lewis as a hypocrite for effectively doing nothing on Flo-Jo but now blaming the South African authorities over Semenya. Not everyone takes HGH to the point of speaking like a beauty queen one year and developing a deep voice and muscular features the next and then sweeping the Olympics clean.

You never know, maybe he became wiser with age and realises he should have spoken out before :)

He should still keep his mouth shut though, this situation must be hard enough on the girl as it is without endless numbers of people having their say in the press

The future is very uncertain for Caster Semenya, though she will keep her medal but what happens after that is unclear.

The confusion continues over Semenya. Normally reliable news sources like the BBC claim :-

BBC said:
BBC Sport understands the tests are likely to reveal Semenya, who is currently training at the University of Pretoria, has an intersex status.

but then also state that the "IAAF is mum" on Semenya. Where did the BBC get this information from? A leaked fax? :yelrotflmao:

The Guardian's account of events is interesting :-

Guardian said:
The International Association of Athletics Federations said today it is still working with Caster Semenya and the South African government to resolve issues about the 18-year-old runner's gender and future career. The governing body said it could not confirm the South African sports ministry's claims of a deal allowing Semenya to keep the 800m world title and prize money she won in August.

The IAAF spokesman Nick Davies said the parties were "almost there" in concluding complex negotiations. "It is premature to discuss the contents of what [the South African government] said until we're ready to say, yes, that we totally agree with it," Davies said. "This is being handled carefully at one level politically but also in the medical-scientific realm. We are working flat-out quietly behind the scenes to resolve it. Fingers crossed, we will be able to get there very quickly."

The confusion continues over Semenya. Normally reliable news sources like the BBC claim :-

but then also state that the "IAAF is mum" on Semenya. Where did the BBC get this information from? A leaked fax? :yelrotflmao:

There was a leak sometime ago where an Aussie paper claimed to have seen the results and she was inter-sex. That was at least a month ago now and of course the claims were strongly denied but interestingly no legal action was taken to have the claims withdrawn (not that I read about anyway)

Last edited:
There was a leak sometime ago where an Aussie paper claimed to have seen the results and she was inter-sex. That was at least a month ago now and of course the claims were strongly denied but interestingly no legal action was taken to have the claims withdrawn (not that I read about anyway)

Perhaps her New York Attorneys have not seen that one but they saw the Guardian's article ...

Telegrapgh said:
A statement released by her lawyers at New York firm Dewey & Leboeuf said: “We are instructed by our client that any quotes or information in the article which are alleged to have been obtained from or attributed to our client have been so obtained under false pretences and in a wrongful and unlawful manner.”

Back