New to weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen1357

I am 32 and had my first baby in July 2020. I put on 30 pounds when I was pregnant. Before I got pregnant I was 15 pounds overweight, so my goal is to lose 45 pounds.

I am completely new to weight loss, exercise and dieting but now I have a baby I want to be as healthy as possible.

I started 2 weeks ago and so far have lost 10 pounds, which feels amazing! But, I read that you are only supposed to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. Could I be doing myself more harm than good? This is what I am doing, it is (hopefully) more of a lifestyle change than dieting.
  • I have given up alcohol and junk food (previously I drank at least 1 bottle of wine a week, and had an enormous amount of chocolate and biscuits every day)
  • I am now having all my 5 a day, usually more
  • I am having on average 90g protein per day, 140g carbs (usually wholegrain) and only 40g sugar (from fruit). Previously I had about 3 take aways a week and ate mainly ready meals and freezer meals
  • I am doing low impact aerobics for 30-45 mins 6 days a week and 15 mins ab exercises every day. Previously I did no exercise.
I was healthy when I was pregnant but as soon as baby was born I went back to being unhealthy.

I would normally go to a gym but can't because of covid. Is what I am doing sensible? Should I worry that I've lost so much weight too soon?

Would really appreciate any advice and tips.

Thanks xxx

Hi Jen and welcome! Your plans sound sensible to me in general. The first week or two is when most people lose more weight than can be explained by calories alone: the extra bit you drop is usually water weight from eating fewer carbs and sodium. If you drop more than two pounds again in the third week it´s probably time to up your calories a little. Your protein and carbs combined account for less than 1000 kcal (unless you´re not counting the carbs and protein from fruit&veg?) so I hope you have some fat as well or you´d indeed be undereating by quite a bit.

Welcome Jen! I agree with everything Lama said, I think you're doing great but keep an eye on how quickly weight drops in the future & up calories if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back